The Dictator observations thread.

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Dictator observations thread.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This is wild if true.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 12:47pm
This is wild if true.
Totally flippin' bananas. Also, kind of underlines that contra maga-induced fever dreams, the Iraq war really was the product of the bush administration specifically, and not an inevitable deep state conspiracy.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 2:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 12:47pm
This is wild if true.
Totally flippin' bananas. Also, kind of underlines that contra maga-induced fever dreams, the Iraq war really was the product of the bush administration specifically, and not an inevitable deep state conspiracy.
Which was always a tortured denial of Ochem. Invoking the deep state is like saying it's magic.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Never ever forget, the cruelty is the point: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... g-lawsuit/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 11:52am
Never ever forget, the cruelty is the point: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... g-lawsuit/
My grandma retired to that city.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hopefully she's on the side of the other nana here?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 2:18pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
She died well before I was old enough to ask her about politics, but based on literally the entire rest of my family, I highly doubt it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 5:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
She died well before I was old enough to ask her about politics, but based on literally the entire rest of my family, I highly doubt it.
Ugh, sorry 'bout that. I don't think I truly appreciate the fact that my family is either social democrats or what we call Red Tories (conservatives with a social conscience). One of my brothers-in-law, ex-military, is the most conservative but in his retirement has been moving steadily leftward, both because of the state of the right these days but also seriously listening to his children's opinions on race and sexuality. He has a hard time fully understanding systemic oppression, but it's not for lack of trying. I quite admire him for his sincere effort to consider these things. So easy to just quit thinking and challenging yourself when you hit retirement.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 5:53pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Ugh, sorry 'bout that. I don't think I truly appreciate the fact that my family is either social democrats or what we call Red Tories (conservatives with a social conscience). One of my brothers-in-law, ex-military, is the most conservative but in his retirement has been moving steadily leftward, both because of the state of the right these days but also seriously listening to his children's opinions on race and sexuality. He has a hard time fully understanding systemic oppression, but it's not for lack of trying. I quite admire him for his sincere effort to consider these things. So easy to just quit thinking and challenging yourself when you hit retirement.
My dad is an excellent example of this. He just sits around at home and complains about Mexicans and pronouns and China instead of going into the world and getting his opinions through actual experience.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 7:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

My dad is an excellent example of this. He just sits around at home and complains about Mexicans and pronouns and China instead of going into the world and getting his opinions through actual experience.
It's like the counter-point to the common perception that history started the moment you were born—everything else is irrelevant ancient crap—is that when you hit middle-age or retirement that history ceases. The thing that makes me saddest about people is a lack of curiosity. The world is a place of contradiction and strangeness—how can you not be curious?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I can see why a goofball boomer would be ill served by not paying attention to the present butif you came up in the Blessed Decade why would you waste time learning about anything that came after Nu Metal was charting?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 8:18pm
I can see why a goofball boomer would be ill served by not paying attention to the present butif you came up in the Blessed Decade why would you waste time learning about anything that came after Nu Metal was charting?
Goddammit, Ho … … … Jesus Christ.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The vote count for the midterm elections is going to be an absolute shitshow.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 12:09pm

The vote count for the midterm elections is going to be an absolute shitshow.
I hate people.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 8:13pm
Kory wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 7:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's like the counter-point to the common perception that history started the moment you were born—everything else is irrelevant ancient crap—is that when you hit middle-age or retirement that history ceases. The thing that makes me saddest about people is a lack of curiosity. The world is a place of contradiction and strangeness—how can you not be curious?
Because it's way easier to just take at face value the claims from your news source that people who aren't like you are making it hard for you to live. You've worked hard to get to retirement age, now it's time to do literally nothing.