Re: The Ripe for Runaway Conspiracy Theory Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 2:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 12:05pm
Olaf wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 11:58am
And I thought Hooky was in Sasquatchistan. Can't keep up with you guys.
Gene's been in Chapel Hill, NC, for six or seven years now, I think; I moved to Ottawa in 2010.
Guess I oughta pay more attention. Still, vividly remember the adventures of a 15-year-old thinly moustached eumaas chasing a Clash bumper sticker through Norfolk.
Weirdly, he was born with that moustache.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 2:43pm
The thing I appreciate about these kinds of videos is that they affirm the value of expertise. The confidence of an amateur working thru gut thinking and "common sense" just doesn't match up to those with technical skills. This doesn't always apply (e.g., politics) but on stuff that is dependent on hard science and technology, a trained expert is worth a million amateurs who confidently know what their eyes are showing.
Here's another good one about that famous Oswald photo:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 5:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The thing I appreciate about these kinds of videos is that they affirm the value of expertise. The confidence of an amateur working thru gut thinking and "common sense" just doesn't match up to those with technical skills. This doesn't always apply (e.g., politics) but on stuff that is dependent on hard science and technology, a trained expert is worth a million amateurs who confidently know what their eyes are showing.
That's an example where, to a bozo like me, it seems plausible that the photo is faked, but I'm more than willing to listen to experts in the area explain why our eyes or common sense deceive us.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 6:09pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's an example where, to a bozo like me, it seems plausible that the photo is faked, but I'm more than willing to listen to experts in the area explain why our eyes or common sense deceive us.
I figured a JFK one would elicit a response from Doc.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Good video. Enjoyed the way the professor broke down and explained all the various flaws that folks had claimed as proof. Especially liked the computer generated modeling that disproved the shadows piece of the conspiracy theory. "Photoshop" type skills were not very advanced back in 1963, so to me it would really be a stretch to imagine someone being able to attempt something like this that 50+ years later current technology can't find the fakery.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

My dad was a career newspaper man. He settled into selling the advertising but has held a number of newsboy jobs with the Boston Globe starting in 1960 or so. Once he settled in to the advertising realm he 'd go to conferences with other national papers and made friends all around the States. He had a good friend at the Dallas Morning News who had a similar career path and was working for the paper when they shot JFK*. He told my father in this story sometime in the mid-1980s.

As a runner for the paper in 1963 he was basically the gopher for just about every journalist and photographer. When Kennedy was going to motorcade through town he was there, just off the Grassy Knoll. Kennedy was shot and chaos ensued. He was near some stairwell that bisects the knoll (somewhere off to the right of the photo below). He went to the stairwell and there were federal cops and a pool of blood. They ordered him to get the fuck out of there which he did. He retreated to the news office and told his story to a reporter who demanded to be taken to the stairwell immediately which he did. The stairwell was clean, no blood. It appeared like nothing happened.

Fast forward to 1983 when all the 20 year retrospective was being produced. His story had been bandied about and he was asked to relay this story for one of the big three networks. The night before the interview his phone rang after midnight and his wife answered, he was asked for and the phone was handed to him. A voice said, "If you care about your family you will not patriciate in the interview tomorrow." and hung up. He canceled his interview.

My dad says that this guy told him the story with a shaky voices and ashen face. My dad believed him. Go figure.

*In Boston among the old timers it is always implied that JFK was murdered by a 'they'.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 10:59pm
My dad was a career newspaper man. He settled into selling the advertising but has held a number of newsboy jobs with the Boston Globe starting in 1960 or so. Once he settled in to the advertising realm he 'd go to conferences with other national papers and made friends all around the States. He had a good friend at the Dallas Morning News who had a similar career path and was working for the paper when they shot JFK*. He told my father in this story sometime in the mid-1980s.

As a runner for the paper in 1963 he was basically the gopher for just about every journalist and photographer. When Kennedy was going to motorcade through town he was there, just off the Grassy Knoll. Kennedy was shot and chaos ensued. He was near some stairwell that bisects the knoll (somewhere off to the right of the photo below). He went to the stairwell and there were federal cops and a pool of blood. They ordered him to get the fuck out of there which he did. He retreated to the news office and told his story to a reporter who demanded to be taken to the stairwell immediately which he did. The stairwell was clean, no blood. It appeared like nothing happened.

Fast forward to 1983 when all the 20 year retrospective was being produced. His story had been bandied about and he was asked to relay this story for one of the big three networks. The night before the interview his phone rang after midnight and his wife answered, he was asked for and the phone was handed to him. A voice said, "If you care about your family you will not patriciate in the interview tomorrow." and hung up. He canceled his interview.

My dad says that this guy told him the story with a shaky voices and ashen face. My dad believed him. Go figure.

*In Boston among the old timers it is always implied that JFK was murdered by a 'they'.

To critique that, tho, his story of what he saw has no evidence one way or another, so you either take him at his word or not. And the threatening phone call doesn't necessarily mean somebody inside the supposed conspiracy was involved, but could have just been some asshole who didn't want more fuel to the conspiracy fire. I mean, look at all the books and movies and tv shows about various ideas around a conspiracy—how did they go forward and this guy needed to be silenced? This isn't to call him a liar by any means, only that it relies on a person choosing to believe him or not, not being persuaded by evidence.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 10:16am
BostonBeaneater wrote:

To critique that, tho, his story of what he saw has no evidence one way or another, so you either take him at his word or not. And the threatening phone call doesn't necessarily mean somebody inside the supposed conspiracy was involved, but could have just been some asshole who didn't want more fuel to the conspiracy fire. I mean, look at all the books and movies and tv shows about various ideas around a conspiracy—how did they go forward and this guy needed to be silenced? This isn't to call him a liar by any means, only that it relies on a person choosing to believe him or not, not being persuaded by evidence.
I have no idea. It’s a good story though.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 10:16am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
A voice said, "If you care about your family you will not patriciate in the interview tomorrow." and hung up.
I mean, look at all the books and movies and tv shows about various ideas around a conspiracy—how did they go forward and this guy needed to be silenced?
Maybe they didn't care about their family.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

If you're trying to trick a mouthbreather into getting vaccinated, would you pursue salad and not, like, Budweiser or those KFC mush bowls?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 8:33pm
If you're trying to trick a mouthbreather into getting vaccinated, would you pursue salad and not, like, Budweiser or those KFC mush bowls?
Agree 100%, don't forget the pork rinds. :lol:

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Alex Jones, founder of the website "Inforwars", was found liable for damages in 3 defamation suits filed by parents of students killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook School shootings.
As I've said before, Karma is a bitch.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/infowa ... 021-10-01/
Last edited by Sparky on 01 Oct 2021, 9:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
01 Oct 2021, 7:04pm
Alex Jones, founder of the website "Inforwars", was found liable for damages in 3 defamation suits filed by parents of students killed in the 2012 the Sandy Hook School shootings.
As I've said before, Karma is a bitch.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/infowa ... 021-10-01/
It just goes to show how the Deep State will mobilize to crush the truth. :shifty: