The Ripe for Runaway Conspiracy Theory Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Ripe for Runaway Conspiracy Theory Thread

Post by Kory »

Normally I'd put this in the COVID thread, but it just seems nutty enough to go here. My doctor friend says masks don't do anything. But, putting aside however he might be reading stats differently than, like, EVERYBODY, who in the world benefits from lying about it, and what in the world could they possibly gain? Is this the ultra-powerful mask lobby flexing its muscles again?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 3:51pm
Normally I'd put this in the COVID thread, but it just seems nutty enough to go here. My doctor friend says masks don't do anything. But, putting aside however he might be reading stats differently than, like, EVERYBODY, who in the world benefits from lying about it, and what in the world could they possibly gain? Is this the ultra-powerful mask lobby flexing its muscles again?
Conditioning us to obey the more serious orders, like disarming? The real truth, the real evil, is always several horrible steps farther down the road.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 3:51pm
Umm so no masks or mask in general because I see people pull their shirts up over their face so that aint much good but hard to believe a certain type of mask doesn't help.

What does he say is the major vector for transmission? All the experts seem to say it is breathing in droplets in the air

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 4:16pm
What does he say is the major vector for transmission? All the experts seem to say it is breathing in droplets in the air
I'm thinking Kory's friend got his degree at Trump University (Class of Third Week of August 2010).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 4:35pm
revbob wrote:
I'm thinking Kory's friend got his degree at Trump University (Class of Third Week of August 2010).
Well it's weird because he's definitely anti-conspiracy in every way, so I can't fathom what he thinks is going on here. I might project that he would argue that we're being told to wear masks to decrease panic, but again, who does that benefit? We were told initially not to wear them when we didn't have enough data, so it's not like anyone was really going to panic in the first place. Also, the type of people that are obviously more likely to panic about things, storm capitols, etc. are the ones who refuse to wear them anyway.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 5:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Well it's weird because he's definitely anti-conspiracy in every way, so I can't fathom what he thinks is going on here. I might project that he would argue that we're being told to wear masks to decrease panic, but again, who does that benefit? We were told initially not to wear them when we didn't have enough data, so it's not like anyone was really going to panic in the first place. Also, the type of people that are obviously more likely to panic about things, storm capitols, etc. are the ones who refuse to wear them anyway.
I thought the initial non-mask directive was so that there wouldn't be a rush that might leave medical personnel shorthanded. I don't think anyone believes are 100% effective, but they do cut some spread. Every little bit helps, right? But your initial point stands—who benefits from a phony directive that people wear masks? You have to dip into the goofy pool to follow that line of "reasoning."

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
I thought the initial non-mask directive was so that there wouldn't be a rush that might leave medical personnel shorthanded. I don't think anyone believes are 100% effective, but they do cut some spread. Every little bit helps, right? But your initial point stands—who benefits from a phony directive that people wear masks? You have to dip into the goofy pool to follow that line of "reasoning."
Yeah, it was definitely about saving masks for medical workers—there was definitely talk about how they don't protect the wearer, but I'm trying to recall if it was being talked about yet that the real purpose was to stop the wearer from spreading anything they already had. I have a vague memory that they needed to do more research on that.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Kory wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 5:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 5:34pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Yeah, it was definitely about saving masks for medical workers—there was definitely talk about how they don't protect the wearer, but I'm trying to recall if it was being talked about yet that the real purpose was to stop the wearer from spreading anything they already had. I have a vague memory that they needed to do more research on that.
As I understand it, the mask protects you from being a spreader. That's enough for me.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
I think it's still accepted that wearing a mask does a better job protecting others than yourself (although it provides some protection), which is why it's critical that other people wear masks - you can't ensure your own health and protection alone.

The wife and I caught up with one of our friends who lives in Dallas, a city that wholeheartedly endorses your friend's views on masking, etc. I originally had a longer, angrier post about the conditions she describes living in and the human toll it is exacting, but suffice to say it's a horror show there and I would suggest your doctor friend's views are, at best, extremely irresponsible given his profession.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 5:44pm
Kory wrote:
I think it's still accepted that wearing a mask does a better job protecting others than yourself (although it provides some protection), which is why it's critical that other people wear masks - you can't ensure your own health and protection alone.

The wife and I caught up with one of our friends who lives in Dallas, a city that wholeheartedly endorses your friend's views on masking, etc. I originally had a longer, angrier post about the conditions she describes living in and the human toll it is exacting, but suffice to say it's a horror show there and I would suggest your doctor friend's views are, at best, extremely irresponsible given his profession.
He would say that there's no evidence from the studies that masks actually do anything to slow the spread of this particular virus. You can deep-google some other doctors that think this too, and I don't know if that's just creative assessment of statistics or what. It's definitely a minority view, and of course, there's often a knee-jerk reaction to want to trust a doctor, but in the face of different sources of truth, it's better to be safe than sorry, I think. I just really can't fathom what he thinks is going on and I really don't want to talk to him about it for obvious reasons. I just like to bitch to you all about it so I can get some validation that I'm not paranoid about being gaslit.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Hmm so there's clearly things happening in some places in terms of cases and the opposite in others.

Im curious what it is. Id been led to believe based on what Ive read, heard on the radio and such that wearing masks an integral part of that as it primarily reduces or keeps an infected person from releasing virus into the air.

Im seriously curious how your friend explains some of this.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 5:56pm
Hmm so there's clearly things happening in some places in terms of cases and the opposite in others.

Im curious what it is. Id been led to believe based on what Ive read, heard on the radio and such that wearing masks an integral part of that as it primarily reduces or keeps an infected person from releasing virus into the air.

I am too, but he so often adopts this smug/arrogant tone of voice when he's talking about stuff that he thinks he's right about that makes it really frustrating to listen to him. I'm probably not going to be in the mood for it unless we both get drunk.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 5:44pm
I would suggest your doctor friend's views are, at best, extremely irresponsible given his profession.
That's the worst thing. It's one thing for Billy Fucknut to argue that, but a doctor? Just applying the oath of do no harm—masks don't harm anyone.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 5:59pm
revbob wrote:

I am too, but he so often adopts this smug/arrogant tone of voice when he's talking about stuff that he thinks he's right about that makes it really frustrating to listen to him. I'm probably not going to be in the mood for it unless we both get drunk.
This sounds awful.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 6:15pm
Kory wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 5:59pm
revbob wrote:

This sounds awful.
Yeah, it's like he's made it a part of his identity. He definitely knows he's like this—I think he finds it funny. He definitely laughs along when people make fun of him for it.