7%

Total votes: 15

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Best of the American Invasion

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 4:39am
Actually, from what I've seen in the UK anyway, there has been no smug chorus of "i told you so" from the left anti war side, but centrist liberals have invented it regardless because it just irks them beyond belief that some people just seen to have a nasty habit of being on the right side of history more often than not.

Like this doofus, for example.

But if he's right about that … then he's a dull fuck. What a trap he's laid for himself!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 6:29am
Low Down Low wrote:
Actually, from what I've seen in the UK anyway, there has been no smug chorus of "i told you so" from the left anti war side, but centrist liberals have invented it regardless because it just irks them beyond belief that some people just seen to have a nasty habit of being on the right side of history more often than not.

But if he's right about that … then he's a dull fuck. What a trap he's laid for himself!
He's not right, though. These are the kind of folk who, when Blair's hideous record is brought up, invariably come back with the "but he knew how to win elections" retort. Questioning themselves is the single one thing they almost never do!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 7:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

He's not right, though. These are the kind of folk who, when Blair's hideous record is brought up, invariably come back with the "but he knew how to win elections" retort. Questioning themselves is the single one thing they almost never do!
Of course, it's a dodge. When your position has been exposed, change the topic. But I would sincerely love to hear some serious self-evaluation from all those modern imperialists, about their assumptions that were just plain fucking wrong and why they were so deaf—contemptuously so—to contemporary critics.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 7:48am
Low Down Low wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 7:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Of course, it's a dodge. When your position has been exposed, change the topic. But I would sincerely love to hear some serious self-evaluation from all those modern imperialists, about their assumptions that were just plain fucking wrong and why they were so deaf—contemptuously so—to contemporary critics.
Would love it too, but think we'll be waiting. Dodging, deflecting the issues or moving the goalposts, as Flex alluded to above, is the morally easier path for them. I think because a lot of the most vocal critics over here were of the left, it was easy for the right wing hawks with the aid of their media friends to label them unpatriotic cranks. I read where only one senator or congress rep opposed the war in the US so I'm assuming it was an even more difficult position to argue there.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 8:08am
Would love it too, but think we'll be waiting. Dodging, deflecting the issues or moving the goalposts, as Flex alluded to above, is the morally easier path for them. I think because a lot of the most vocal critics over here were of the left, it was easy for the right wing hawks with the aid of their media friends to label them unpatriotic cranks. I read where only one senator or congress rep opposed the war in the US so I'm assuming it was an even more difficult position to argue there.
Canada participated in the Afghanistan invasion and occupation but wisely stayed out of Iraq. I remember the Conservatives here pilloried the Liberals for cowardice and lack of commitment to Western values, etc. At the same time, gave them no credit when, of course, Iraq proved to be built on lies and went shit sidewise in a hurry.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 8:38am
Low Down Low wrote:
Canada participated in the Afghanistan invasion and occupation but wisely stayed out of Iraq. I remember the Conservatives here pilloried the Liberals for cowardice and lack of commitment to Western values, etc. At the same time, gave them no credit when, of course, Iraq proved to be built on lies and went shit sidewise in a hurry.
Whatever people were thinking pre Iraq, the day the boys raised the S&S in Baghdad, Iwo Jima-style, is the day they should have realised it was all over, that nothing positive could come from it. As a sideline, I recall the discussions on the existing clash/strummer boards of the time and, man, there was steam hissing out of the screen on occasion. I didn't partake much but my memory is there were quite a number of hawkish viewpoints being pushed.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 12:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Whatever people were thinking pre Iraq, the day the boys raised the S&S in Baghdad, Iwo Jima-style, is the day they should have realised it was all over, that nothing positive could come from it. As a sideline, I recall the discussions on the existing clash/strummer boards of the time and, man, there was steam hissing out of the screen on occasion. I didn't partake much but my memory is there were quite a number of hawkish viewpoints being pushed.
I hadn't discovered this place (presumably when it was still called Satch's; I can only assume Steve was in full-throated murder erection mode back then), but I remember telling my friend after "Mission Accomplished," that now the quagmire begins. Killing people and destroying infrastructure is really easy, but getting people to stop doing that is much harder, especially when your mindset is "do what we say or we'll kill you."

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 1:04pm
Low Down Low wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 12:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I hadn't discovered this place (presumably when it was still called Satch's; I can only assume Steve was in full-throated murder erection mode back then), but I remember telling my friend after "Mission Accomplished," that now the quagmire begins. Killing people and destroying infrastructure is really easy, but getting people to stop doing that is much harder, especially when your mindset is "do what we say or we'll kill you."
I think Snews was probably the main go to spot around that time, there were some pretty salty exchanges there. I did venture onto Satch's very briefly around the start and took a bit of a pummeling from Steve and a few of his pals for saying i wasnt entirely comfortable with Joe's association with Black Hawk Down, despite how much I liked the song. I stayed the fuck away after that.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

lmao, glad to hear Steve was always a jingoistic lunatic.

That was all pre-my time in these parts, but I remember going to see Black Hawk Down in high school and being horrified at what a pro-war mess it was. My friend group's reactions were divided in precisely the ways that would shade their opinions on american empire in general. Funny, that.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Aside: Would anyone be stunned if Steve was part of the failed putsch on 6 January? I would only to the degree of the tiny percent of the total population who was there, but not in the sense of his beliefs and assholish personality.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 1:35pm
Aside: Would anyone be stunned if Steve was part of the failed putsch on 6 January? I would only to the degree of the tiny percent of the total population who was there, but not in the sense of his beliefs and assholish personality.
lol, I've been looking for him in photos and video of the event since it happened.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I see Steve as more of a disapproving/enabling mode in terms of Trump, maybe due to his military bashing. Like that scumfuck Romney.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 1:40pm
I see Steve as more of a disapproving/enabling mode in terms of Trump, maybe due to his military bashing. Like that scumfuck Romney.
Steve was pure resentment and bigotry toward a pluralist world. He was exactly the kind of libertarian who would love authoritarianism directed at the people he hated. And he was flat out dumb enough to get sucked up in the right-wing mediasphere conspiracies. I'd bet the deed to Olaf's raccoon zoo that Steve believes the election was stolen and that semi-trailers delivered in the middle of the night millions of ballots created in China.

Flex

Post by Flex »

revisiting this classic as the war comes to a close:

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
18 Aug 2021, 2:12pm
revisiting this classic as the war comes to a close:
I would love to hear Jello cover that. No changing the lyrics, just do it straight up and soak in the satire.

Also, if your song namechecks Zell Miller for any reason, you've hit a creative cul de sac.