Parenting (...or My Precious Snowflake is Better Than Yours)

Politics and other such topical creams.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Parenting (...or My Precious Snowflake is Better Than Yours)

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 12:55pm
Flex wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 12:41pm
I think people here really underrate how insanely cruel kids are, even informally, to other kids they perceive as too unksilled and weak.
Hello,

My experiences playing pick-up games/free play were overall very good. I can understand how someone else may have had dissimilar experiences based on the kids around you. I grew up with a couple of jerks nearby but fortunately the good kids outnumbered them. Overall numbers indicate most youth have positive experiences with sport up through around 15 years old when numbers diminish as kids either choose a favorite sport or float into other activities (school, music, art, etc. - oops, I should probably include drinking/dope).
Depending on how we define "sport" I could still be included - I loved skiing growing up (although despised ski racing, in keeping with my pattern). I think we're agreeing with the basic social issue, we just had really different experiences with sports growing up, but I think the "solves" are all pretty similar.

Addendum: I mean, I feel a sense of loss that I was never able to really find a team sport (even as informal pick-up) that I enjoyed or that fostered anything positive for me. One thing is I hope my kid gets a chance to get something positive out of sports that his old man never could.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Mimi wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 12:57pm
Flex wrote:
I think people here really underrate how insanely cruel kids are, even informally, to other kids they perceive as too unksilled and weak.
Oh, I remember. :cry: X(
Don't worry meemz, now you have us cool people to hang out with :shifty:

Pex Lives!

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 1:16pm
Mimi wrote:
Flex wrote:
Thanks. I prefer hanging out with misfits anyway.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 1:16pm
Mimi wrote:
Flex wrote:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I think I've said on here before just how inadequate P.E. teachers were when I was at school. If you weren't naturally competent at sports or physical activity, they didn't actually teach you anything. Imagine a similar approach for the sciences. "Little Benny has no aptitude for long division, I suppose I'll just have to look past him and ignore him for the next five years." None of them ever told me to breathe in and out when I was exercising as a kid. It's only in the last five years that I've found satisfaction, enjoyment, and better mental health through exercise. Those jock pricks have a lot to answer for.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 8:08am
I think I've said on here before just how inadequate P.E. teachers were when I was at school. If you weren't naturally competent at sports or physical activity, they didn't actually teach you anything. Imagine a similar approach for the sciences. "Little Benny has no aptitude for long division, I suppose I'll just have to look past him and ignore him for the next five years." None of them ever told me to breathe in and out when I was exercising as a kid. It's only in the last five years that I've found satisfaction, enjoyment, and better mental health through exercise. Those jock pricks have a lot to answer for.
Yeah, my recollections are that gym teachers focused chiefly on rules of games/sports and counting stats (do X sit ups, hang from the chin-up bar for X seconds, run X laps), not teaching anything. When I was a kid, I was terrified of doing somersaults because I thought my neck would snap. No gym teacher ever showed me how to do it/get past that fear. It was a friend who did that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
Yeah, co-sign all this. Exact same experience.

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 9:50am
Silent Majority wrote:
Yeah, co-sign all this. Exact same experience.
Yeah, I knew like 2 kids my age before starting school, one was my cousin. So team sports were not something I was familiar with. I ran around, climbed trees and did all kinds of athletic things but nothing based on organized team sports so when I went to PE and people were playing whatever sport it was completely foreign to me not just the rules but how some things were done physically. Here's a baseball bat go and hit. Here's a football throw it. You have to bounce a basketball off the ground while you walk/run with it? Shit I didn't even know what kickball was. Sports were something my dad watched on TV when I wanted to watch something else. I eventually picked up most of it to at least be proficient but I didn't learn any of that from PE.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Y'know what, I think we should gather up a mob, go down to NC, and beat the hell out of gkbill (the closest thing we have here to a gym teacher)!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 11:18am
Y'know what, I think we should gather up a mob, go down to NC, and beat the hell out of gkbill (the closest thing we have here to a gym teacher)!
Hello,

Physical Education (not my discipline) has a lot to answer for regarding actually educating kids. It has changed dramatically over the last 15-20 years, becoming more lifetime physical activity-oriented and include health components.

I can recall teaching in Queens and speaking with the basketball coach/PE teacher during my morning break (1st period). Later that day, I mentioned to another teacher that I had spoken with the coach during my 1st period planning period. The teacher mentioned they also spoke with the coach during their 3rd period break. Apparently, what the coach/PE teacher did was choose two kids (generally the smartest kids in that class/group) the first day of classes, had them pick teams, and then when kids showed up for class they played softball - he hung out in the cafeteria while the kids played every period. Being a successful High School basketball coach in New York City is a big deal.

Please don't come to North Carolina and attempt to beat me up. That would be a mistake on your part.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 11:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Physical Education (not my discipline) has a lot to answer for regarding actually educating kids. It has changed dramatically over the last 15-20 years, becoming more lifetime physical activity-oriented and include health components.

I can recall teaching in Queens and speaking with the basketball coach/PE teacher during my morning break (1st period). Later that day, I mentioned to another teacher that I had spoken with the coach during my 1st period planning period. The teacher mentioned they also spoke with the coach during their 3rd period break. Apparently, what the coach/PE teacher did was choose two kids (generally the smartest kids in that class/group) the first day of classes, had them pick teams, and then when kids showed up for class they played softball - he hung out in the cafeteria while the kids played every period. Being a successful High School basketball coach in New York City is a big deal.
Dang, I never had a gym teacher who was that negligent! Tho in retrospect we probably would have had more fun left alone.
Please don't come to North Carolina and attempt to beat me up. That would be a mistake on your part.
I'm not foolish to come alone. I'd want at least a dozen other people. I'd help coordinate the attack from my base in Chapel Hill.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 11:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

Flex

Post by Flex »

I was sort of grumpy about this topic yesterday because my Tuesday fitness class featured a substitute instructor who, well, pretty much gave me horrible flashbacks to youthful p.e. experiences. Very much left me feeling foul for like two days. Shows how much dealing with the right people who have an attitude and style that gels with your makes a difference with this kind of stuff. I'm pretty sure if this person was the first one I'd encountered at my gym, I would have walked out the door and never come back.

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 1:33pm
I was sort of grumpy about this topic yesterday because my Tuesday fitness class featured a substitute instructor who, well, pretty much gave me horrible flashbacks to youthful p.e. experiences. Very much left me feeling foul for like two days. Shows how much dealing with the right people who have an attitude and style that gels with your makes a difference with this kind of stuff. I'm pretty sure if this person was the first one I'd encountered at my gym, I would have walked out the door and never come back.
Fuuuuuckkkk. There is nothing worse than this when it comes to the gym.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
Just the kids?