The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... er-turnout

And, again, I have a hard time believing that a significant portion of these people are those who regret not voting Republican last time (that they sat it out or voted for another party). A high turnout almost always suggests bad news for the incumbent.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/2 ... oll-432217

I read awhile back that winning Texas would be huge because (a) there's no meaningful path to victory for the GOP without Texas; and (b) the state has hindered mail-in voting, so the results will be known quicker than a lot of other states. Of course, the high Latino population will fuel claims of illegal voting, but if Texas goes Democrat that's a huge nail in Trump's shrivelled orange wang.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 3:49pm

I read awhile back that winning Texas would be huge because (a) there's no meaningful path to victory for the GOP without Texas; and (b) the state has hindered mail-in voting, so the results will be known quicker than a lot of other states. Of course, the high Latino population will fuel claims of illegal voting, but if Texas goes Democrat that's a huge nail in Trump's shrivelled orange wang.
I'm a little skeptical Texas will go blue, just for the reasons you say: such a machine effort to disenfrachise people, biggest dem support comes from some of the lowest propensity voters, etc. but it'd be so fucking great if Trump lost Texas for the Republicans.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm a little skeptical Texas will go blue, just for the reasons you say: such a machine effort to disenfrachise people, biggest dem support comes from some of the lowest propensity voters, etc. but it'd be so fucking great if Trump lost Texas for the Republicans.
One intriguing piece of data—tho what is suggests I have no idea—is that early voting in Texas has already reached 75% of the total vote in 2016.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

If it did somehow go blue, man...I wouldn't ask for another Christmas present for at least a decade.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Well I confirmed my North Carolina resident dad and stepmom who voted for Trump in 2016 have voted for Biden. That's good I guess. My Florida aunt/uncle voted Biden, but that wasn't really a surprise.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 11:38am
Well I confirmed my North Carolina resident dad and stepmom who voted for Trump in 2016 have voted for Biden. That's good I guess. My Florida aunt/uncle voted Biden, but that wasn't really a surprise.
My sister and her daughter waited in line 2 hours Saturday to vote. I think the basically cancelled each other out.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
Hopefully, they're part of a wider trend of Trump voters defecting.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 12:11pm
matedog wrote:
I have no idea who my lifelong moderately republican-leaning dad is voting for this time, but he already didn’t vote Trump last time (I’m about 80% sure he went Gary Johnson because he has a libertarian streak). I think the current Democratic Party might be more than conservative enough for him to slide back over.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
Trump has turned my life long republican (albeit moderate republican, but still) uncle into a democrat. He's never going to be left leaning, but better than nothing. He voted for Gary Johnson in 2016 and voted for Biden this year.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This is what I've been saying for a long time: I can't imagine there are many people who regret not voting for Trump in 2016 versus the other way around. In 2016, it was a roll of the dice / protest against the status quo. Now it'd be a vote for the new status quo.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 1:09pm
This is what I've been saying for a long time: I can't imagine there are many people who regret not voting for Trump in 2016 versus the other way around. In 2016, it was a roll of the dice / protest against the status quo. Now it'd be a vote for the new status quo.
I think a lot of people voted for him as a bit of a joke four years ago. I hope that they are as sick of this joke as the rest of us.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
matedog wrote:
I'm cautious with how blindsided I was in 2016, but it's at least reassuring from a familial point of view. I didn't find out they voted Trump in 16 until well after the election and was completely flabbergasted.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 1:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 1:09pm
I think a lot of people voted for him as a bit of a joke four years ago. I hope that they are as sick of this joke as the rest of us.
If you were upset with the neoliberal status quo, the Democrats represented more of the same. In Trump, there was someone who said he hated the status quo, too. If you squinted and wanted to believe enough, he seemed like the kind of guy who might bust shit up, and hopefully in the common chump's favour. Voting against the Democrats, especially such a corrupt and cynical hack like Hillary Clinton, wasn't crazy if you saw your life getting materially worse. If you also wanted to send a fuck you to all the liberals who looked down on people in the flyover states, it made sense. But I suspect few of those people could conceive that there's something distinctly worse than a bunch of condescending smirking corporate liberals in charge. It's harder to project fantasies of sticking it to liberals because it's clear what the cost will be.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Saw this on SNL's Weekend update, but holy shit Bill Clinton is younger than Trump and Biden.