The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Politics and other such topical creams.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:I'm very anti-death penalty, and I'm SUPER anti-three-strikes.
Same.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:I'm very anti-death penalty, and I'm SUPER anti-three-strikes.
Same.
Thritto.*

* The only time I would support the death penalty would be for government officials who commit high crimes against the people.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Lindsey Graham: "If I hear anybody say it [i.e., losing the election] was because Romney wasn't conservative enough I'm going to go nuts. We're not losing 95% of African-Americans and two-thirds of Hispanics and voters under 30 because we're not being hard-ass enough."

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:I'm SUPER anti-three-strikes.
Even for serious violent crime?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Lindsey Graham: "If I hear anybody say it [i.e., losing the election] was because Romney wasn't conservative enough I'm going to go nuts. We're not losing 95% of African-Americans and two-thirds of Hispanics and voters under 30 because we're not being hard-ass enough."
Anything less than 100% is failure, you closet-cased traitor!

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Heston wrote:
That's where torture should come in. :shifty:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

From a pure stats junkie perspective, I've been loving the anti-Nate Silver backlash this election cycle and all the insane commentary that's been generated.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
One would think conviction for committing a violent crime would be on its own merits, not that it was the person's third strike.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
One would think conviction for committing a violent crime would be on its own merits, not that it was the person's third strike.
So past offences shouldn't be taken into consideration at all?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:From a pure stats junkie perspective, I've been loving the anti-Nate Silver backlash this election cycle and all the insane commentary that's been generated.
Coincidentally, mental_floss mentioned him today in a story about non-voters. Angry conservatives claim he's in the pocket of the lib'ruls, but Silver said that if he did vote it would be a choice between Mittens and Gary Johnson.
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/150042

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
The inanity of the three-strikes law is that it doesn't really take past offences into consideration—not in any meaningful way. All felonies are treated the same. Convictions for stealing beer shouldn't weigh the same as rape. The three-strikes law doesn't take that into account. Nor does it consider whether a person has otherwise led a good life. If there are forty years of model behaviour between those non-violent acts, it doesn't matter: three strikes is three strikes. It's the mindlessness of it all that is what's so offensive.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
The inanity of the three-strikes law is that it doesn't really take past offences into consideration—not in any meaningful way. All felonies are treated the same. Convictions for stealing beer shouldn't weigh the same as rape. The three-strikes law doesn't take that into account. Nor does it consider whether a person has otherwise led a good life. If there are forty years of model behaviour between those non-violent acts, it doesn't matter: three strikes is three strikes. It's the mindlessness of it all that is what's so offensive.
Well I don't know that much about it, coming from a civilized country, but I would have thought 3 serious violent crimes would merit the key being thrown away. Not for petty offences, though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote: Even for serious violent crime?
Well I don't know that much about it, coming from a civilized country, but I would have thought 3 serious violent crimes would merit the key being thrown away. Not for petty offences, though.
But that's the problem: the law takes all that context out of the hands of judges and juries. As has been observed about zero-tolerance rules, it's an excuse not to think, just obey.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Coincidentally, mental_floss mentioned him today in a story about non-voters. Angry conservatives claim he's in the pocket of the lib'ruls, but Silver said that if he did vote it would be a choice between Mittens and Gary Johnson.
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/150042
That's interesting since he came out of Daily Kos. The whole article is interesting, actually.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: One would think conviction for committing a violent crime would be on its own merits, not that it was the person's third strike.
But that's the problem: the law takes all that context out of the hands of judges and juries. As has been observed about zero-tolerance rules, it's an excuse not to think, just obey.
That's why I said for "serious violent crime" in my original post. Obviously life for stealing a cabbage 3 times is ridiculous.