The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Politics and other such topical creams.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Post by Heston »

Election songs?

[youtube][/youtube]

We can stretch it to erection songs if we're running low on ideas.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

This and nothing else:
[youtube][/youtube]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:We can stretch it to erection songs if we're running low on ideas.
You're just trying to turn this into another KISS thread. :naughty:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:We can stretch it to erection songs if we're running low on ideas.
You're just trying to turn this into another KISS thread. :naughty:
[youtube][/youtube]
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Still better than Kiss...
[youtube][/youtube]

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Wolter wrote:
Spiff wrote:I predict Ohio will be a clusterfuck of voting irregularities, voter suppression, and voter intimidation.
So, same as every year?
Yes. Ohio is Chicago political dirty tricks writ large.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Chuck Mangione wrote:This and nothing else:
[youtube][/youtube]
The other track you posted is good, but that's just boring.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:This and nothing else:
[youtube][/youtube]
The other track you posted is good, but that's just boring.
It's a pretty lazy outtake. I just like the attitude in the line "I don't care who get's elected." It takes the words right out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Seriously, one thing that's good about this election is that thanks to demographics and mortality rates, this is the last presidential election that the Republican appeal to angry white men—basically, Nixon's Southern Strategy or variations of the same, which have been part of every campaign since '68—can be a successful methodology. If it wants to be a viable national party, the GOP will have to abandon (or at least seriously moderate) its racism as campaign strategy and, perhaps, policy.
I take it you've never been to Missouri.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Seriously, one thing that's good about this election is that thanks to demographics and mortality rates, this is the last presidential election that the Republican appeal to angry white men—basically, Nixon's Southern Strategy or variations of the same, which have been part of every campaign since '68—can be a successful methodology. If it wants to be a viable national party, the GOP will have to abandon (or at least seriously moderate) its racism as campaign strategy and, perhaps, policy.
It can still work on smaller stages—state and municipal levels—in certain locales, but the US as a whole is becoming less white, so as a national strategy—to win the presidency—that kind of shit is almost a non-starter. So the Republican party is in for a massive rethink. Maybe it leads to a true schism, where the Tea Party nuts actually form their own party, or maybe they just get purged or marginalized. Regardless, those in the party who care about winning will have to rein in the racists. The real challenge, perhaps, is that the GOP has become so hostile to empirical methodology that proving the case with demographic statistics might be next-to-impossible with those who continue to believe anger and purity is all that it'll take to convince voters.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Just curious: Any Americans here not voting this time around?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Just curious: Any Americans here not voting this time around?
You know how I feel about encouraging politicians.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
It can still work on smaller stages—state and municipal levels—in certain locales, but the US as a whole is becoming less white, so as a national strategy—to win the presidency—that kind of shit is almost a non-starter. So the Republican party is in for a massive rethink. Maybe it leads to a true schism, where the Tea Party nuts actually form their own party, or maybe they just get purged or marginalized. Regardless, those in the party who care about winning will have to rein in the racists. The real challenge, perhaps, is that the GOP has become so hostile to empirical methodology that proving the case with demographic statistics might be next-to-impossible with those who continue to believe anger and purity is all that it'll take to convince voters.
I hope so. Right now it seems like the only ones purged from the party are the moderates (and I say that with a caveat -- what's typically thought of as a Republican moderate i.e. socially moderate and fiscally conservative). Twenty years ago, MO had several pro-choice Republicans in its legislature. Not a chance in hell of that happening now. We're lucky to have pro-choice Democrats.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I hope so. Right now it seems like the only ones purged from the party are the moderates (and I say that with a caveat -- what's typically thought of as a Republican moderate i.e. socially moderate and fiscally conservative). Twenty years ago, MO had several pro-choice Republicans in its legislature. Not a chance in hell of that happening now. We're lucky to have pro-choice Democrats.
Which is the theme of that book by Kabaservice that I mentioned a few weeks back. As a strategy for governance, purity has been a complete disaster for Republicans. It's worthwhile remembering that St. Ronnie was quite adept at compromise, but compromise has become as dirty a word as abortion or atheism to conservatives. As a strategy for electoral success, the demographics are against it working any longer. There just isn't a large enough bloc of (angry) white (male) voters to employ a siege mentality on anymore. Unless Republicans are content being a permanent angry opposition party, the smarter guys within will have to take back the party from the cynical and sincere racists alike.