The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Election Thread To Talk About The Election

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://chess2020.com

Who says democracy is dead? :twitch:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 12:15pm
WestwayKid wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:46am

Gerry was the first person to represent MA-3...but his successors (there were apparently 2 of them) have some of the best old time white folk names ever: Shearjashub Bourne and Peleg Coffin Jr.!
We have a wealthy history of crusty old white guys with stick up their ass names.
Here are a few:
Endicott Peabody
Leverett Saltonstall
Increase Sumner
Levi Lincoln Jr.
Tristram Dalton
Prentiss Mellen
Rufus Choate

He's a photograph of Rufus:
Good ole' Rufus Choate.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 8:47am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Gerry was the first person to represent MA-3...but his successors (there were apparently 2 of them) have some of the best old time white folk names ever: Shearjashub Bourne and Peleg Coffin Jr.!
We have a wealthy history of crusty old white guys with stick up their ass names.
Here are a few:
Endicott Peabody
Leverett Saltonstall
Increase Sumner
Levi Lincoln Jr.
Tristram Dalton
Prentiss Mellen
Rufus Choate

Good ole' Rufus Choate.
In 1846, Choate convinced a jury that the accused, Albert Tirrell, did not cut the throat of his lover, or, if he did so, he did it while sleepwalking, under the 'insanity of sleep'. His successful use of sleepwalking as a defense against murder charges was the first time in American legal history this defense was successful in a murder prosecution.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 10:13pm
WestwayKid wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 8:47am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Here are a few:
Endicott Peabody
Leverett Saltonstall
Increase Sumner
Levi Lincoln Jr.
Tristram Dalton
Prentiss Mellen
Rufus Choate

Good ole' Rufus Choate.
In 1846, Choate convinced a jury that the accused, Albert Tirrell, did not cut the throat of his lover, or, if he did so, he did it while sleepwalking, under the 'insanity of sleep'. His successful use of sleepwalking as a defense against murder charges was the first time in American legal history this defense was successful in a murder prosecution.
Somewhere, a metal band has titled their album Insanity of Sleep.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

*snort*

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 12:13pm
*snort*
There were sentiments to this effect in 2016 too, which was about the only good thing to come out of it. Still, supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 1:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
*snort*
There were sentiments to this effect in 2016 too, which was about the only good thing to come out of it. Still, supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Help, help, I'm bring repressed! (I think of that line whenever a libertarian pulls out his pocket Constitution to argue why his expired coupons should still be accepted.)

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 2:13pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
*snort*
Help, help, I'm bring repressed! (I think of that line whenever a libertarian pulls out his pocket Constitution to argue why his expired coupons should still be accepted.)
It's without a doubt my very favorite Python writing and performing of all time. I constantly recite the whole bit on my walks.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 4:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
*snort*
It's without a doubt my very favorite Python writing and performing of all time. I constantly recite the whole bit on my walks.
It's been some time since I've watched Holy Grail. Perhaps it feels over-cited (which isn't fair criticism, I know, but actually a compliment), so my go-to is usually Life of Brian, which appeals more to my cynicism, anyway.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 4:37pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
*snort*
It's been some time since I've watched Holy Grail. Perhaps it feels over-cited (which isn't fair criticism, I know, but actually a compliment), so my go-to is usually Life of Brian, which appeals more to my cynicism, anyway.
My go-to is Meaning of Life, usually. I think I like its diversity and dark tone.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 7:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

My go-to is Meaning of Life, usually. I think I like its diversity and dark tone.
I'll bet it's been over two decades since I've watched it. The black humour definitely appeals, but my recollection is that I didn't care as much for the sketch style, rather than a larger narrative. Still, individual pieces are superb.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:11pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'll bet it's been over two decades since I've watched it. The black humour definitely appeals, but my recollection is that I didn't care as much for the sketch style, rather than a larger narrative. Still, individual pieces are superb.
Eric Idle contends that if they had had just one more writing retreat they would have nailed a more unified narrative, but everyone was too scattered with their individual projects by then. I often wonder what could have been with that film, but I do love it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 8:11pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Eric Idle contends that if they had had just one more writing retreat they would have nailed a more unified narrative, but everyone was too scattered with their individual projects by then. I often wonder what could have been with that film, but I do love it.
Interesting. So it's their Abbey Road beyond just the final shot—very good but still not unified.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I watched most of the Meaning of Live last night, about the 2014 shows. It was pretty clear that TJ was into the beginning of his decline - and Cleese seems to have had little patience with him.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 2:36am
I watched most of the Meaning of Live last night, about the 2014 shows. It was pretty clear that TJ was into the beginning of his decline - and Cleese seems to have had little patience with him.
There's especially that part during Crunchy Frog where Terry was reading his lines off a piece of paper and John swipes it and reads the whole thing to get it over with. But John's never been the nicest guy.