Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Nixon!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 4:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 1:13pm
https://comb.io/0fzP5c
Burns does a great Elvis too. He's a very good impersonator.
And Homer does an excellent Mrs. Burns.

I love that he thinks Burns' name is Montel.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 4:56pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's pitch-perfect for the character's obsession with TV.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 6:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 4:56pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's pitch-perfect for the character's obsession with TV.
Unfortunately one of those minor gags lost to anyone born, say, in the last 30 years.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

“Thanks for moving me up the list, son. I owe you and W. big.”

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Re. Ted Cruz' winter vacation:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

William Manchester casually makes reference to Nixon's pliable perspective on the truth while relating the Checkers speech:
"I know that you wonder whether or not I am going to stay on the Republican ticket or resign. Let me say this: I don't believe that I ought to quit, because I am not a quitter. And, incidentally, Pat is not a quitter. After all, her name was Patricia Ryan and she was born on Saint Patrick's Day — and you know the Irish never quit."*

* Actually she was born on March 16, 1912, the day before Saint Patrick's Day, and christened Thelma Catherine Ryan. Her father gave her the nickname Pat. Her mother was a native of Germany.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 10:22am
William Manchester casually makes reference to Nixon's pliable perspective on the truth while relating the Checkers speech:
"I know that you wonder whether or not I am going to stay on the Republican ticket or resign. Let me say this: I don't believe that I ought to quit, because I am not a quitter. And, incidentally, Pat is not a quitter. After all, her name was Patricia Ryan and she was born on Saint Patrick's Day — and you know the Irish never quit."*

* Actually she was born on March 16, 1912, the day before Saint Patrick's Day, and christened Thelma Catherine Ryan. Her father gave her the nickname Pat. Her mother was a native of Germany.
He got worse after he was beaten in 1960, but it's worth remembering he was always a self centered lying little piece of shit.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 10:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 10:22am

He got worse after he was beaten in 1960, but it's worth remembering he was always a self centered lying little piece of shit.
I can’t recall which Washington pol said it, but when Nixon arrived he was soon described as “a man in a hurry”—that is, nakedly ambitious and uninterested in decorum or honour.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From Garrett M. Graff's Watergate: A New History:
Meanwhile, Colson revived Jack Caulfield’s plan to break into the Brookings Institution, giving Hunt and Liddy the go-ahead to formulate a plan. The problem, Liddy decided, wasn’t that the previous scheme was a bad idea—it just wasn’t ambitious enough. He and Hunt worked up a plan to purchase a used fire engine, outfit it with D.C. fire department logos, and staff it with the Cuban burglars disguised in uniforms and trained in basic firefighting. The fake engine would respond after a time-delayed firebomb exploded inside the think tank late at night; first on the scene, before the real D.C. firefighters arrived, the burglars would have time to enter the building, access the vault, and escape amid the confusion. The proposal was denied quickly—not because it was an insane, breathtakingly risky, and complicated illegal plot to be connected directly to the President of the United States. “ Too expensive,” Liddy recalled. “The White House wouldn’t spring for a fire engine.”
This is the kind of shit that keeps me returning to Watergate books: the combination of cynical skullduggery and insane scripting. That Nixon was also a really skilled figure makes it all the more intoxicating.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

In the 1995 film Nixon, Sanchez is portrayed by Tony Plana. During one scene in the film, Nixon asks Sanchez what he thinks of John F. Kennedy, to which Sanchez replies "he made me see the stars". In a subsequent interview, Oliver Stone explained that the quote was actually attributed to Robert McNamara and that he assigned it to Sanchez in the film as a joke; Sanchez was known to have intensely disliked Kennedy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manolo_Sa ... ff_member)

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 3:40pm
In the 1995 film Nixon, Sanchez is portrayed by Tony Plana. During one scene in the film, Nixon asks Sanchez what he thinks of John F. Kennedy, to which Sanchez replies "he made me see the stars". In a subsequent interview, Oliver Stone explained that the quote was actually attributed to Robert McNamara and that he assigned it to Sanchez in the film as a joke; Sanchez was known to have intensely disliked Kennedy.
More or less, his only friend.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Apr 2022, 12:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2022, 3:40pm
More or less, his only friend.
A weird species of politician, a person who genuinely doesn't like people, in the abstract or in the flesh. Stephen Harper is cut from the same cloth.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... p-00042678

The kid looks like a young Roger Stone. :yuck:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

More Nixon! The Boss and I have started watching Gaslit, a darkly humourous account that emphasizes the sinister lunatics and general batshittery around the story, with special attention to Martha Mitchell (her story is more horror story than black comedy). In particular, I think SM would eat this up, but most people here would enjoy it.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 4:06pm
More Nixon! The Boss and I have started watching Gaslit, a darkly humourous account that emphasizes the sinister lunatics and general batshittery around the story, with special attention to Martha Mitchell (her story is more horror story than black comedy). In particular, I think SM would eat this up, but most people here would enjoy it.
Did this start as a podcast?? I remember listening to a podcast that told the story through the eyes of MM (at least I think I remember something like that).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble