Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Nixon!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 7:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 7:41am
Watching the final episode, a hodgepodge of things that didn't neatly fit in the other themed episodes. Nixon is so in his element when talking about engaging with the Chinese leadership. Very confident, none of the defensive aggression that he employs on so many other topics. It's so striking and illustrates how much his insecurities and willingness to give into the darker parts of his psyche compromised him.
When he was good, he was very good...
Remove the traumas and insecurities, tho, and maybe he loses what made him so capable. My next tub book is going to be a re-read of Fawn Brodie's psychobiography of the man. I haven't read that since the early 90s, and my recollection is that I wasn't impressed. I'd like to think I have more knowledge and perspective at my disposal now, tho.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 8:03am
Sparky wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 1:28pm
matedog wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 1:20pm
Saw this making the rounds:

Unfortunately, still can't make Nixon look cool:

Ford looks the coolest.
The Nixon one kind of has an Elvis vibe IMO.
I was thinking Al Davis
Or perhaps Nicholas Cage portraying Nixon. :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From Fawn Brodie's mostly dumb psychobiography of Nixon:
nixon and jokes.jpg
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I don't even really understand either of those jokes.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 11:45am
Back in the 50s, that was hi-larious! I guess.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Silent Majority wrote:
Glad it's not just me, then.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 12:37pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Glad it's not just me, then.
Neither of you will ever be Ike's goon!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A wonderful phrase I encountered in one of the Nixon books I'm reading. An associate referred to the working relationship between Nixon and Haldeman as "darkness reaching out for darkness." (Stone later appropriated and (mis)applied this in his film to Howard Hunt.) Such a powerful phrase that seizes the imagination and does, in fact, capture Nixon's own form of magnetism.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 11:32am
I've never seen that before! Pair it with one of his bowling shots and make a statement about … something.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 12:05pm
matedog wrote:
I've never seen that before! Pair it with one of his bowling shots and make a statement about … something.
That he's at least partially human?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 2:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
A deeply human person, unfortunately. I finished one of the Nixon books I've been reading and one of the things that I lean to is that, apart from his age, Nixon had the makings of being a punk. Smart, weird kid, awkward, felt unloved, recognized the elites looked down on him. But instead of going in a direction that we'd understand as punk(ish), he desperately wanted to succeed within the system and to make those elites suffer, in the process embracing all the worst instincts we possess. That's one of the reasons, I think, I'm still so fascinated by him. A terrible, horrible, awful, shitty person, but he had the basics for being a good rebel if he'd turned his rage and anxiety in a different direction.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 2:43pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
A deeply human person, unfortunately. I finished one of the Nixon books I've been reading and one of the things that I lean to is that, apart from his age, Nixon had the makings of being a punk. Smart, weird kid, awkward, felt unloved, recognized the elites looked down on him. But instead of going in a direction that we'd understand as punk(ish), he desperately wanted to succeed within the system and to make those elites suffer, in the process embracing all the worst instincts we possess. That's one of the reasons, I think, I'm still so fascinated by him. A terrible, horrible, awful, shitty person, but he had the basics for being a good rebel if he'd turned his rage and anxiety in a different direction.
A bit nature rather than nurture, do you think?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 6:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2023, 2:43pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
A bit nature rather than nurture, do you think?
No idea, really. I'd like to think it's nurture because I want to believe we have more paths open to us when we're born—that things close off with time and experience—but I recognize that's mostly my preferred view of life.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
It's Nessie!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy