Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: JFK Assassaversary Conspiracy Extravaganza

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 May 2023, 9:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2023, 9:03am
Somehow I wasn't aware that Oliver Stone, when he's not palling around with and carrying water for Putin, made another JFK film a couple years ago. JFK Revisited is a documentary that goes over developments since his film from '91. Watched it this morning. Like the movie, I'm more impressed by the oddities or weaknesses with the Warren Commission's investigation and conclusions than Stone's own grand CIA/FBI/Mafia/Vietnam theory. I don't think the documentary will alter anyone's position from that going in: the firm massive conspiracy people will feel validated, the Stone's-a-loon people will remain sure of that, and those who are skeptical of the official truth but not really persuaded by alternate theories (my position) will find enough there to stay there.
Didnt know about this.
For around a decade now. He’s done extended interviews with him that have been little more than platforms. It’s a case of properly being critical of American foreign policy and then looking for a hero who opposes that, ignoring that Putin’s not a hero, but a rival, with an even uglier view of humanity than American warmongers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Putin_Interviews
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2023, 9:49am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Somehow I wasn't aware that Oliver Stone, when he's not palling around with and carrying water for Putin, made another JFK film a couple years ago. JFK Revisited is a documentary that goes over developments since his film from '91. Watched it this morning. Like the movie, I'm more impressed by the oddities or weaknesses with the Warren Commission's investigation and conclusions than Stone's own grand CIA/FBI/Mafia/Vietnam theory. I don't think the documentary will alter anyone's position from that going in: the firm massive conspiracy people will feel validated, the Stone's-a-loon people will remain sure of that, and those who are skeptical of the official truth but not really persuaded by alternate theories (my position) will find enough there to stay there.
Didnt know about this.
For around a decade now. He’s done extended interviews with him that have been little more than platforms. It’s a case of properly being critical of American foreign policy and then looking for a hero who opposes that, ignoring that Putin’s not a hero, but a rival, with an even uglier view of humanity than American warmongers.
Respect Stone a good deal less for this, but can see the lack of thought that lead here was present in even his best work. Stone's creative world is one where the truth is just one layer underneath the presented reality. Actual reality is a good deal more complicated.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 May 2023, 9:53am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2023, 9:49am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Didnt know about this.
Respect Stone a good deal less for this, but can see the lack of thought that lead here was present in even his best work. Stone's creative world is one where the truth is just one layer underneath the presented reality. Actual reality is a good deal more complicated.
Back when I was putting together my lecture on postmodernism, I read a comparison between that and modernism, which fully bloomed in the late 19th c. One of the foundational beliefs of modernism is that the real truth is obscured from us, it's buried by surface lies. Marxism and Freudianism are the exemplars of this, and, importantly, both claim to unlock the Great Big Truth. There's confidence there—the truth can be understood if you break the code. Postmodernism suggests that there is no Great Big Truth beneath. Looking for it is like peeling an onion—you just keep getting layers of onion until there's nothing. Stone is modernist in his thinking even tho, ironically, he's a master at postmodernist film. But his faith is that there is a truth beneath the surface and solving it will banish all the lies that make us miserable. It's simplistic and, like most simplistic beliefs, it's comforting even as it leads to terrible choices.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Musing a bit about Stone's "the deep state did it" theory, it's a weird set of balls to be juggling. Okay, all-powerful web of institutions that worked to thwart JFK's efforts to end the Cold War (we'll assume here that JFK was actually this closet dove). So, deep state is stronger than person. But it had to kill him because that person could have ruined everything for the deep state (if only JFK had lived … etc etc etc). So, the person is stronger than the deep state. All kinds of witnesses and patsies had to be bumped off. Because person is stronger than the deep state. But all these books and movies exist and do have a considerable impact on public opinion, tho the truth is still not known. Because the deep state is stronger than people.

This is what's frustrating about Stone's theory, this inconsistency about the strength of human beings versus the strength of systems. Can a president make a difference or not? Does he need to be killed or not? The rationale for the deep state's lethal act is a bit goofy unless you accept that the world view of the deep state is paranoid and irrational (and, well, there is some evidence for that), which is why Stone has to be paranoid and irrational in his depiction. That seems a convenient validation for spinning a vast conspiracy. He builds it up so much because going more modest fucks with the mindset.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Well now I'm confused, I heard Ted Cruz father was responsible for this. :hmm:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
15 May 2023, 1:39pm
I recall reading that on his deathbed, Howard Hunt (of Watergate fame) claimed to be involved (maybe even one of the shooters). Which, sure, why not? :rolleyes:

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2023, 2:05pm
Sparky wrote:
I recall reading that on his deathbed, Howard Hunt (of Watergate fame) claimed to be involved (maybe even one of the shooters). Which, sure, why not? :rolleyes:
Hmm, perhaps covering for Tricky Dick?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
15 May 2023, 3:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Well, pre-Watergate by a decade. Tho one of my favourite weird details of JFK's assassination is that Nixon flew out of Dallas hours before, and he was like the only person alive who couldn't remember where he was when he heard the news. Nixon was just a weird dude.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2023, 3:42pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Well, pre-Watergate by a decade. Tho one of my favourite weird details of JFK's assassination is that Nixon flew out of Dallas hours before, and he was like the only person alive who couldn't remember where he was when he heard the news. Nixon was just a weird dude.
He just didn't want to acknowledge how hard he punched the air on learning someone had rubbed out his hated rival.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
20 Nov 2013, 8:40pm

I've already mailed a screencap to:

Canada University of Hockey
c/o Whoever is in charge of H. Worm
Some Polar Bear Den or Whatever, Fordronto CRACKCRACK-CRACK
America's Hat

I assume your postal service, which is just mounties going around and handing out letters, will receive the letter since I shoved it off in a canoe earlier today.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2013, 7:49pm
I have a dream that you will have the best sleep in years for the lowest price imaginable. No, the price isn't free at last, but it's pretty close. Come on down, we're just off exit 44 at I-80.
Solid yucks from ten years ago.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 May 2023, 4:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
He just didn't want to acknowledge how hard he punched the air on learning someone had rubbed out his hated rival.
The weird part is that he wouldn't have a lie about doing that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
15 May 2023, 4:03pm
Flex wrote:
20 Nov 2013, 8:40pm

I've already mailed a screencap to:

Canada University of Hockey
c/o Whoever is in charge of H. Worm
Some Polar Bear Den or Whatever, Fordronto CRACKCRACK-CRACK
America's Hat

I assume your postal service, which is just mounties going around and handing out letters, will receive the letter since I shoved it off in a canoe earlier today.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Nov 2013, 7:49pm
I have a dream that you will have the best sleep in years for the lowest price imaginable. No, the price isn't free at last, but it's pretty close. Come on down, we're just off exit 44 at I-80.
Solid yucks from ten years ago.
X(

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2023, 4:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

"Did I open mouth kiss the rotund sausage-slinger at the Hot Dog Stand who shared with me the report of President Kennedy's brutal and untimely demise? I absolutely did. But it was an action of pure gratitude. The recorded evidence that I then danced with the proprietress of the nearest grocery goes to show that there was nothing, or at least very little, homosexual about my admittedly very cheerful reaction. Sorry, David, you were asking me about the best brand of tape recorders?"

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 May 2023, 5:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 May 2023, 4:35pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

"Did I open mouth kiss the rotund sausage-slinger at the Hot Dog Stand who shared with me the report of President Kennedy's brutal and untimely demise? I absolutely did. But it was an action of pure gratitude. The recorded evidence that I then danced with the proprietress of the nearest grocery goes to show that there was nothing, or at least very little, homosexual about my admittedly very cheerful reaction. Sorry, David, you were asking me about the best brand of tape recorders?"
"You see, it's a really good frankfurter."

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Did i ever tell you guys that I got a bunch of old stuff from my grandmother's house after she died, and one of the things was from my grandfather's funeral (he died in the late 50's when my dad was 14). The guest book had both Jack Ruby and Abraham Zapruder's signatures.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy