Injected with Love: The Death Penalty Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Injected with Love: The Death Penalty Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

(Actually, I want you to share your name with the Zodiac, just so I can finally learn who he really is.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

I was kind of hoping that this would hurt Governor Fallin in her coming election this year, considering the Jacksonian attack on the state supreme court by her and the legislature. However most here seem to think the executed should have suffered more. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after the past year. Fallin refused to even consider putting storm shelters in schools after the Moore tornado, her hipster about-town daughter for a laugh posed in a native headdress, and a law she supported was passed last month that disallowed giving paid sick leave and raising the minimum wage. After all that she is still above 65% approval. She's made of Teflon. As long as the politician has an R they are untouchable here. Hell she got elected to multiple state and national offices after being caught cheating on her husband in a car at Lake Hefner by a police officer in the early 90s. That doesn't matter to me but after the late 90s it supposedly mattered for the electorate here when applied to dems.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Bankrobber wrote:I was kind of hoping that this would hurt Governor Fallin in her coming election this year, considering the Jacksonian attack on the state supreme court by her and the legislature. However most here seem to think the executed should have suffered more. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after the past year. Fallin refused to even consider putting storm shelters in schools after the Moore tornado, her hipster about-town daughter for a laugh posed in a native headdress, and a law she supported was passed last month that disallowed giving paid sick leave and raising the minimum wage. After all that she is still above 65% approval. She's made of Teflon. As long as the politician has an R they are untouchable here. Hell she got elected to multiple state and national offices after being caught cheating on her husband in a car at Lake Hefner by a police officer in the early 90s. That doesn't matter to me but after the late 90s it supposedly mattered for the electorate here when applied to dems.
And even if they get slapped with a court order (assuming Fallin obeys it), OK's the only state in the union that has its death penalty double booby-trapped. If lethal injection ever becomes unconstitutional or legally impermissible, they automatically revert back to the electric chair by state law. If BOTH lethal injection and the electric chair are verboten, they automatically revert back to firing squad by state law.

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Bankrobber wrote:I was kind of hoping that this would hurt Governor Fallin in her coming election this year, considering the Jacksonian attack on the state supreme court by her and the legislature. However most here seem to think the executed should have suffered more. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after the past year. Fallin refused to even consider putting storm shelters in schools after the Moore tornado, her hipster about-town daughter for a laugh posed in a native headdress, and a law she supported was passed last month that disallowed giving paid sick leave and raising the minimum wage. After all that she is still above 65% approval. She's made of Teflon. As long as the politician has an R they are untouchable here. Hell she got elected to multiple state and national offices after being caught cheating on her husband in a car at Lake Hefner by a police officer in the early 90s. That doesn't matter to me but after the late 90s it supposedly mattered for the electorate here when applied to dems.
And even if they get slapped with a court order (assuming Fallin obeys it), OK's the only state in the union that has its death penalty double booby-trapped. If lethal injection ever becomes unconstitutional or legally impermissible, they automatically revert back to the electric chair by state law. If BOTH lethal injection and the electric chair are verboten, they automatically revert back to firing squad by state law.
Hanging is what they want I'm sure. They can live in their romanticised wild west vision. We have open carry here and I'm sure what they really want is to strap on the iron and mosey down the gallows for a Sunday afternoon public hangin'.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Is OK a Right to Work state,too? If so, you may be worse than Missouri. I never thought it possible.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

JennyB wrote: Is OK a Right to Work state,too?
Yep, since the late 90s.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Purple Hayes wrote:I'm in no way a supporter of the death penalty and never will be but I always thought that if we HAD to have it why not hand the worst monsters over to government run and owned pharmaceutical companies to experiment on in the hope of finding cures for cancer/aids etc this would at least serve some kind of purpose, and save the lives of many furry little creatures...?

"Well, Mr Ripper that's your cancer now cured, now slide over here and lets see how you get on with Alzheimers..."
Well...ironically, they are required to provide free health care to all inmates on death row right up until the exact moment of execution. So that wouldn't fly, and would be unconstitutional. There IS a lot of Supreme Court-reaffirmed precedent that you can't force someone to take life-extending meds against their will, governed by the Cruel & Unusual Punishment clause. It covers damn near everything EXCEPT lethal injections and assisted suicide (still illegal most states and at the fed level).

In this Oklahoma case, the second the execution was declared botched and the curtains closed on the observers they had to begin CPR on the guy and make every effort to save his life. Try to rationalize that...the mental gymnastics at work is enough to blow a hamstring. Not that the penal system is all that humane at providing health care, but they are liable for damages for willfully withholding medical care. Ironically, the running board meme about the serial killer who shares my real name ( :shifty: ) involved a case of politics over whether his execution could proceed over health issues. Because the wait on death row is frequently so damn long these guys are rarely in good health by the time their date with the needle gets announced. The cost alone for keeping 'em healthy enough for the state to kill 'em is batshit. Genuine small-gov't libertarians...you know, the unicorns that don't actually exist in real numbers, not the Randian Jesus types who call themselves libertarians...generally are against the death penalty because of the extreme cost and bureaucracy involved in maintaining such an artificial system.
Shorter version: The Nazis tried that and it didn't go over too well.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

BTW...Ohio takes the prize for being such inept keystone cops at administering lethal injections that one of their inmates survived his own botched date with the needle and lived to tell about it. :scared:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romell_Broom

2 hours of jabbing the needle in him over and over and over again to find a suitable vein, and they had to issue a reprieve and send him to the hospital for--basically--treatment of a bunch of minor stab wounds. Contrary to popular opinion, it's an urban myth that you get a free ticket off death row if you survive your execution. He's still on death row with the state trying for nearly 5 years to get a do-over date. The case has been tied up in appeal over the first execution being cruel and unusual punishment because the untrained prison officials just kept on jabbing him long after anyone with Medical Training 101 would've declared it a futile effort.

You'd be amazed at how often lethal injections have complications because of collapsed veins. It's kind of a very sub-ideal method of execution when an outsized % of death row inmates are/were longtime junkies or in otherwise wretched health: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/some-ex ... executions

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:BTW...Ohio takes the prize for being such inept keystone cops at administering lethal injections that one of their inmates survived his own botched date with the needle and lived to tell about it. :scared:

2 hours of jabbing the needle in him over and over and over again to find a suitable vein, and they had to issue a reprieve and send him to the hospital for--basically--treatment of a bunch of minor stab wounds. Contrary to popular opinion, it's an urban myth that you get a free ticket off death row if you survive your execution. He's still on death row with the state trying for nearly 5 years to get a do-over date. The case has been tied up in appeal over the first execution being cruel and unusual punishment because the untrained prison officials just kept on jabbing him long after anyone with Medical Training 101 would've declared it a futile effort.

You'd be amazed at how often lethal injections have complications because of collapsed veins. It's kind of a very sub-ideal method of execution when an outsized % of death row inmates are/were longtime junkies or in otherwise wretched health: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/some-ex ... executions
That has all the makings of the blackest of black comedy except, well, it happened.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote:BTW...Ohio takes the prize for being such inept keystone cops at administering lethal injections that one of their inmates survived his own botched date with the needle and lived to tell about it. :scared:

That has all the makings of the blackest of black comedy except, well, it happened.
Some of the foibles with Ol' Sparky on that list are funny in a depths-of-government-ineptitude kind of tragicomedy way. Some of the mishaps from olden times I'm sure have made their way into Hollywood slapstick.

They even fucked up Gacy's execution! Talk about funny-like-a-clown-dying. . .
Anesthesiologists blamed the problem on the inexperience of prison officials who were conducting the execution, saying that proper procedures taught in "IV 101" would have prevented the error.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I recall reading a long time ago that the guillotine was seen as a merciful advance because hanging was such an imprecise technique (tightness of the knot, distance of the fall) and fucking up would mean having the head ripped off the body. Which would be unpleasant for the spectators. And the traditional headsman was rarely successful on the first or second or third whacks at the neck, so that often turned into a nasty affair for all involved.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Not on Mr Pierrepoints watch he was the best hangman of all time. He holds the record for the fastest ever hanging, 7 seconds from leaving the cell to dead!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

From the appropriately named Mike Christian, on the use of lions: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/0 ... 59904.html

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/16/justice/c ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Oklahoma to increase its productivity by 500%!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

The latest horrifying story: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/lethal ... rs-n163086

But don't worry, the vast majority of random online commenters have decided the problem - if one exists at all - is this dude the state murdered didn't suffer enough. There's nothing soul crushingly horrifying about that kind of sentiment at all.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!