Injected with Love: The Death Penalty Thread

Politics and other such topical creams.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Injected with Love: The Death Penalty Thread

Post by revbob »

Vermont, although pretty liberal has its fair share of gun advocates. Ive known plenty of good leftists who are gun owners. People are often surprised when in conversation I say I dont have one. I dont own one because Im morally opposed, its more I have no use for one.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 4:45pm
Vermont, although pretty liberal has its fair share of gun advocates. Ive known plenty of good leftists who are gun owners. People are often surprised when in conversation I say I dont have one. I dont own one because Im morally opposed, its more I have no use for one.
I think the left wing (as opposed to liberal) position is actually fairly pro-gun ownership - the (well founded) idea both that cops won't protect you, especially if you're in a particularly vulnerable population, and that it's not good to ask people to disarm while agents of the state (again, like cops) remain heavily armed.

I don't own any guns, but I've shot guns and don't necessarily have a problem with them per se - I've mostly grown up in areas that are pretty amenable to gun ownership for protection, hunting, etc. I keep threatening to take up hunting but now that I've moved to the 'burbs and have a kid on the way the chances of that have gone to basically nothing.

Honestly, I think the arguments for both gun ownership and gun restriction have merit and are persuasive although gun restrictionists probably have the better of it from a practical standpoint since the evidence is pretty strong that heavy restriction saves lives. My basic argument is that I'm in favor of taking away guns and think we need to start with taking them away from cops and other agents of the state first.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 5:04pm
revbob wrote:
I think the left wing (as opposed to liberal) position is actually fairly pro-gun ownership - the (well founded) idea both that cops won't protect you, especially if you're in a particularly vulnerable population, and that it's not good to ask people to disarm while agents of the state (again, like cops) remain heavily armed.

I don't own any guns, but I've shot guns and don't necessarily have a problem with them per se - I've mostly grown up in areas that are pretty amenable to gun ownership for protection, hunting, etc. I keep threatening to take up hunting but now that I've moved to the 'burbs and have a kid on the way the chances of that have gone to basically nothing.

Honestly, I think the arguments for both gun ownership and gun restriction have merit and are persuasive although gun restrictionists probably have the better of it from a practical standpoint since the evidence is pretty strong that heavy restriction saves lives. My basic argument is that I'm in favor of taking away guns and think we need to start with taking them away from cops and other agents of the state first.
That's basically what a friend of mine would say. He'd disarm when the state disarmed.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 5:04pm
revbob wrote:

I don't own guns because I'm more likely to use them on my wife/kid/myself than any intruder. Father in law tried to goad me with fantasies about rioters taking over our neighborhood "just like in LA in 92" and other emotional arguments vs. statistical/data based arguments. I'd rather keep my family more safe than less safe, so no guns in the house.

But yeah, guns are fun and I don't really care about hunting either way. My position is disarm everyone, but maybe heavily regulated recreational use could work.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 5:52pm
I don't own guns because I'm more likely to use them on my wife/kid/myself than any intruder. Father in law tried to goad me with fantasies about rioters taking over our neighborhood "just like in LA in 92" and other emotional arguments vs. statistical/data based arguments. I'd rather keep my family more safe than less safe, so no guns in the house.

But yeah, guns are fun and I don't really care about hunting either way. My position is disarm everyone, but maybe heavily regulated recreational use could work.
Yeah, if I had a gun in the house for protection/defense it seems astronomically more likely that either 1) future kiddo would gain access to it and something bad would happen (I saw some stat recently that the vast majority of kids know exactly where and how to access their parents supposedly locked and inaccessible firearms), and/or 2) in the act of attempting "protection" I would shoot myself, my wife or future kiddo.* Seems like a bad idea. That said, I'm not gonna like tell, say, a trans person that they should rely on the cops for protection, either.

*Not to mention the actual person/people being "protected" against. I believe in the right to self defense, but I'm also not sure it's moral to, say, kill someone with a gun for burglary. Even if you're the one being burgled.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Speaking as a token (and in many ways stereotypical) Canadian, the idea of having a gun is just bizarre to me. The number of bad things that can happen compared to the number of good things make it much more sensible to stay the fuck away from them. Plus I don't think I could ever shoot a person, or live with myself afterwards. I just plain don't have it in me. Whenever I'm in the US, I become hyperconscious to the possibility that the people around me might be packing and that they could be less than responsible about it all. I never have that thought in Canada. I'm not saying my assessments are correct in either locale, only speaking to my state of mind. The easy access to guns in the US flat-out makes me feel less comfortable and less trusting of strangers, which is a shitty thing.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

we're moving to Texas so I can get shot at the supermarket. Never lived anywhere but Los Angles.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 6:50pm
we're moving to Texas so I can get shot at the supermarket. Never lived anywhere but Los Angles.
Oh wow, this is seismic. Where you moving to? We have friends in Texas, I'll come visit if you move somewhere cool.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 6:09pm
Speaking as a token (and in many ways stereotypical) Canadian, the idea of having a gun is just bizarre to me. The number of bad things that can happen compared to the number of good things make it much more sensible to stay the fuck away from them. Plus I don't think I could ever shoot a person, or live with myself afterwards. I just plain don't have it in me. Whenever I'm in the US, I become hyperconscious to the possibility that the people around me might be packing and that they could be less than responsible about it all. I never have that thought in Canada. I'm not saying my assessments are correct in either locale, only speaking to my state of mind. The easy access to guns in the US flat-out makes me feel less comfortable and less trusting of strangers, which is a shitty thing.
Your trained moose kill more than any gun could hope to!

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 7:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 6:09pm
Your trained moose kill more than any gun could hope to!
That's specist bullshit. It's the reindeer who are the gun-toting psychos. Moose use knives because they're aroused by the physicality of murder.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
Austin or San Antonio areas I hope.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Flex wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 7:22pm
tepista wrote:
Oh wow, this is seismic. Where you moving to? We have friends in Texas, I'll come visit if you move somewhere cool.
revbob wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 8:47pm

Austin or San Antonio areas I hope.
Yeah, Karen's whole family is in Austin and she's been out here like 20 years now. We can sell this house and buy one outright over there, so no mortgage payments. I don't care about bars and socializing anymore. I'm ready. And I'm not,but I am.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tep's gonna be an Astros fan and all into SXSW and dress like Hank Hill.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Jun 2021, 9:23pm
tep's gonna be an Astros fan and all into SXSW and dress like Hank Hill.
I'm gonna open carry at the megachurch

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Injected with Love could be the name of a Mike Love LP.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble