Earthquake Weather Redux

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Re: Earthquake Weather Redux

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2023, 7:17pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
23 May 2023, 6:22pm
Today I finally got to listen to it properly in its entirety. Compared to the CBS version there is a more pronounced vocal line, as well as for the drum and bass sound.
The result is a decidedly grittier sound than the original album.
The original mix isn't great. And it sounds murky and Joe's is mixed to low with the guitar over prominent in places. This new mix gives greater clarity to the vocal and the drum sound is much better.
Passport to Detroit and Jewelers & Bums are potential singles now.

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
24 May 2023, 3:46am
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Today I finally got to listen to it properly in its entirety. Compared to the CBS version there is a more pronounced vocal line, as well as for the drum and bass sound.
The original mix isn't great. And it sounds murky and Joe's is mixed to low with the guitar over prominent in places. This new mix gives greater clarity to the vocal and the drum sound is much better.
Both are excellent tracks that I was never much bothered about but this new mix opens them up and allows the listener to hear more details.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2023, 4:33am
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Both are excellent tracks that I was never much bothered about but this new mix opens them up and allows the listener to hear more details.
Did you use the same software as in the other latest remasters, or did you just set them differently?
I also noticed a considerable difference from your previous work on EW.

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
24 May 2023, 6:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2023, 4:33am
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Did you use the same software as in the other latest remasters, or did you just set them differently?
I also noticed a considerable difference from your previous work on EW.
Yes the same software but just mixed differently.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Hi Mark, I don't get anywhere near the chance I'd like to catch up on your remasters, so was pleased that you dropped this when I had the bandwidth to enjoy it. The Forbidden Track aside, the main issue with Earthquake Weather is that the songwriting and arrangements are too similar but the weakness of the production, the horrible lack of confidence of art from a man who didn't believe he had the right to make art, tipped it over to a quarter of a disaster album.

The expanded soundscape and the clarity in the mix go some way to righting the wrongs of the record. Cholo Vest is the defining track of this part of Strummer's career and canon, and the defeated yet defiant emotion rings out with more honesty and purpose than it ever has before under your encouragement. Its inclusion saves Earthquake Weather. Great work. Like others often say, I wish the record companies would give you the masters to fix. Then we might get an LP that was as much as 7/10.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 May 2023, 8:11am
Hi Mark, I don't get anywhere near the chance I'd like to catch up on your remasters, so was pleased that you dropped this when I had the bandwidth to enjoy it. The Forbidden Track aside, the main issue with Earthquake Weather is that the songwriting and arrangements are too similar but the weakness of the production, the horrible lack of confidence of art from a man who didn't believe he had the right to make art, tipped it over to a quarter of a disaster album.

The expanded soundscape and the clarity in the mix go some way to righting the wrongs of the record. Cholo Vest is the defining track of this part of Strummer's career and canon, and the defeated yet defiant emotion rings out with more honesty and purpose than it ever has before under your encouragement. Its inclusion saves Earthquake Weather. Great work. Like others often say, I wish the record companies would give you the masters to fix. Then we might get an LP that was as much as 7/10.
The whole feel of the Latino Rockabilly War has a very haphazard approach to recording and a band that's literally thrown together. I'm sure Joe handpicked these guys but I don't think these musicians really gave Joe the confidence he needed like he got from the Mescaleros later on.

Lyrically the themes are very similar song to song. The original mix is claustrophobic yet there are a handful of decent songs underneath.

I wonder what someone like Bill Price would've done with this album. I feel I've been able to let the songs breath a little more and added some clarity to Joe's vocal.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2023, 8:32am
Silent Majority wrote:

The whole feel of the Latino Rockabilly War has a very haphazard approach to recording and a band that's literally thrown together. I'm sure Joe handpicked these guys but I don't think these musicians really gave Joe the confidence he needed like he got from the Mescaleros later on.

Lyrically the themes are very similar song to song. The original mix is claustrophobic yet there are a handful of decent songs underneath.

I wonder what someone like Bill Price would've done with this album. I feel I've been able to let the songs breath a little more and added some clarity to Joe's vocal.
You deserve a medal!
All kidding aside, thanks again for sharing this awesome remix of yours.
Attachments
5797EDCE-8313-4429-82AC-F265D66756F8.jpeg
5797EDCE-8313-4429-82AC-F265D66756F8.jpeg (8.24 KiB) Viewed 5844 times

- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
24 May 2023, 3:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 May 2023, 8:32am
Silent Majority wrote:

You deserve a medal!
All kidding aside, thanks again for sharing this awesome remix of yours.
😎👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

evair
Dirty Punk

Post by evair »

@Marky
Once again, you did a terrific job.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You
The greatest legacy he leaves is that he made a generation of people think for themselves. He didnt quite manage to change the world but he changed the way people looked at it. It's a sad day - but what a life

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

evair wrote:
26 May 2023, 8:55am
@Marky
Once again, you did a terrific job.
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You
Thanks mate appreciated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

ohsoso wrote:
22 May 2023, 6:56am
hey marky, cool stuff! do you know the story behind gallop your donkey? new to me.
it's not from the island hopping single.
I missed this comment first time around. There is no story really as I put it together myself. Just to have something new and slightly different to hear.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

This version of Gangsterville is 10 times better than that original on the EW album. I’ve always hated that kind of sound from a carillon

- Carl Gustav Jung

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

This past weekend was a holiday here in the States. I got to sit my ass on a beach with some of my favorite beverages and dive into Marky's newest gem, Earthquake Weather Redux. Was there any doubt it was going to be amazing? No! I enjoy the album without feeling like Joe's vocals were fighting to try and get to the front of the mix.

Marky,
Thank you again!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Cheers Marky, I've always loved some of the songs on here and it remains a great "what if" to me if this album had just been... better. This comes closest to my imagined alternate world where this album got the production and, ah, aesthetic decisions it deserved.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Thanks all for the kind comments much appreciated. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome of this new mix. Gives me more reasons to revisit it now. If only it had had a more sympathetic mix originally.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia