NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

deny wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 3:15pm
I might be wrong but I think that Allan Jones was a friend of Joe's from his Newport days?

On the upside at least I am one of the 7000. :mrgreen:
Allan Jones was a college friend of Joe’s, wrote the first reviews of the 101ers and may well have given him the nickname Joe Strummer. He was originally appalled when Joe quit the 101ers for the Clash, though he eventually came around. Note the 10/10 for Elgin Street still. He would be the go-to man to write a positive piece, and was the editor of Uncut for years. As for the U.S. North description, I’m a bit surprised they didn’t pick the 4 and a half minute version, as the long one does go on a bit without anything but verses and chorus. I think they meant for Robert Frank to use it in pieces for the film. Lots of words!

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

i'm so looking forward to this. like many of you, i splurged for the deluxe edition. for several years, the mescaleros and joe's solo work has overtaken the clash's oeuvre for me. i happened to watch _i hired a contract killer_ the other night and, in my embarrassment, realized that i had never heard "afro-cuban bebop"! really glad that and "burning lights" will finally see a proper release.

right now is an excellent time for this, too. the world could have used joe now more than ever. i can clearly imagine him busking in front of the white house and railing against brexit...

PS, i found this board in the first place looking for info on the pigs fly soundtrack while in london on the anniversary of joe's death and listening to rose of erin on repeat, like i was a kid again. reading through all the comments in this thread has been so lovely. thanks to you all :)

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

C1ashCityRockr wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 5:55pm
i'm so looking forward to this. like many of you, i splurged for the deluxe edition. for several years, the mescaleros and joe's solo work has overtaken the clash's oeuvre for me. i happened to watch _i hired a contract killer_ the other night and, in my embarrassment, realized that i had never heard "afro-cuban bebop"! really glad that and "burning lights" will finally see a proper release.

right now is an excellent time for this, too. the world could have used joe now more than ever. i can clearly imagine him busking in front of the white house and railing against brexit...

PS, i found this board in the first place looking for info on the pigs fly soundtrack while in london on the anniversary of joe's death and listening to rose of erin on repeat, like i was a kid again. reading through all the comments in this thread has been so lovely. thanks to you all :)
Cheers mate.
Most of arrived here at some stage in connection to Joe's death. The mass sign up (including me who was a long time lurker) was the weekend following back in 2002.
There used to a another CCR back in the day with the usual spelling :mrgreen:

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

[/quote]
There used to a another CCR back in the day with the usual spelling :mrgreen:
[/quote]

ha, i'm sure :) wonder if it was the same person who used it for their AIM screen name in the late 90s/early 2000s, which caused me to have to adapt this spelling for my handle back then.

by the way, your handle reminds me... does anyone know who was doing mail order 101ers bootlegs in the late 90s? he would send you a CDR of _elgin ave_ if you sent him two blank CDRs first. i still have my copy. what a brilliant person and a great time to be online.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Maybe O.T., but I had to pass it along. I was in New York this week with a Clash inner-circle person who shall go nameless. We were talking about the yearly Strummer tribute from Jesse Malin and company (this past Saturday), and the continuing deification of Joe, and they just blurted out, "that little prick -- if only they knew." I found it funny. I probably won't tell the story to Mick, who would say "awww...." and be defensive of Joe.

I heard another story in NY from a former GF of Paul's. She was with him and Joe after "Sandinista" and they were trashing Mick with the Elizabeth Taylor stuff, and their schemes, and she said "isn't it Mick's band?", and Joe answered "not anymore." Sounds like the stuff Terry Chimes was hearing.

Rock bands, huh?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Gutted there is no Bhindi Bhagee, Joe’s best post Clash song.

Carpentologist
Dirty Punk

Post by Carpentologist »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 6:58pm
Maybe O.T., but I had to pass it along. I was in New York this week with a Clash inner-circle person who shall go nameless. We were talking about the yearly Strummer tribute from Jesse Malin and company (this past Saturday), and the continuing deification of Joe, and they just blurted out, "that little prick -- if only they knew." I found it funny. I probably won't tell the story to Mick, who would say "awww...." and be defensive of Joe.

I heard another story in NY from a former GF of Paul's. She was with him and Joe after "Sandinista" and they were trashing Mick with the Elizabeth Taylor stuff, and their schemes, and she said "isn't it Mick's band?", and Joe answered "not anymore." Sounds like the stuff Terry Chimes was hearing.

Rock bands, huh?
Yeah, over the years in the various biographies et al it seems that the people who knew Joe Strummer best go out of their way to point out what an asshole he could be! I think that’s part of his appeal, that someone who was so flawed, as most of us are, could still be capable of such greatness!

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Aug 2018, 9:21pm
Agreed - live at the 100 Club
Joining the Street Parade

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
I'm more interested in the unreleased stuff really. That snippet of Where Is England sounds great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

101Walterton wrote:
Hate that song. We get it, you think your area is so cool because it's soooo diverse. And your music is soooo eclectic.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I love the song and all it represents. I remember those areas Joe is singing about when they were drab monocultual high streets lined with greasy spoons and old decrepit Irish pubs. I walked down Kilburn high street recently and the change still amazes me, just looks so much more vibrant and colorful than how it used to be. Of course goes without saying that gentrification can often be the other side of that particular coin.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 10:36am
101Walterton wrote:
Hate that song. We get it, you think your area is so cool because it's soooo diverse. And your music is soooo eclectic.
I'd like to know where in England you can't get mushy peas.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
You could respond to literally any song like that. "We get it, she loves me, yeah, yeah, yeah." "Sure you wanna know how I feel to be on my own like a complete unknown. Whatever.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
What's so wrong with diversity and eclecticism. I think you are missing the point of the song for all the great mix the area has it can't cater for everyone as there are no "Mushy Peas".

Fine song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
28 Aug 2018, 12:17pm
matedog wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
I'd like to know where in England you can't get mushy peas.
My house.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia