NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: NEW JOE STRUMMER ANTHOLOGY?

Post by Marky Dread »

esmark wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 1:21pm
Feel a bit daft here.... Order the whole thing, and got the double cd and vinyl, but no 7". So still short of the 7" with "This is England" and "Before we go forward". The cassette is also a no show...So short of the demo version of "US North" and "Full Moon". Anybody experience the same?
That's really bad news mate and very poor distribution/packing. On the other hand great to see you back here mate, hope you are well.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

Tah! MD. Been a crossover of a shitstorm and a whirlwind the last couple of years...

Things starting to settle down at last at last. Sent 'em a reminder of my order, hoping it' end good.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

esmark wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 1:43pm
Tah! MD. Been a crossover of a shitstorm and a whirlwind the last couple of years...

Things starting to settle down at last at last. Sent 'em a reminder of my order, hoping it' end good.
Glad things are improving for you mate. By the way the casette only contains "Full Moon" the demo of U.S. North was scrapped.

Check your PMs

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 1:46pm
esmark wrote:

Glad things are improving for you mate. By the way the casette only contains "Full Moon" the demo of U.S. North was scrapped.

Check your PMs
Well, has it surfaced in some sorts... the crapped version. Should've been interesting stuff, to see what it sounded like as a demo.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

esmark wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 2:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 1:46pm
esmark wrote:

Check your PMs
Well, has it surfaced in some sorts... the crapped version. Should've been interesting stuff, to see what it sounded like as a demo.
It was decided one version on the box was enough and the demo was not quite up to scratch sound wise I believe.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

blureu
Dirty Punk

Post by blureu »

This is worth a listen:

On Saturday September 29th 10am -12pm, Boogaloo Radio broadcast this special show, about the amazing new album Joe Strummer 001. Hosted by two people who knew him better than most- his widow Lucinda Tait, and close friend Dylan White. They discussed the new album and the extraordinary find of 11 new songs to delight Strummer fans all over the world.
The album includes rare tracks as well as new re-masters - with an album of unreleased material including a solo demo of ‘Letsagetabitarockin’ recorded in Elgin Avenue in 1975, ‘Rose Of Erin’ from the 1993 Sara Driver film ‘When Pigs Fly’, two outtakes from ‘Sid & Nancy’, the over ten minute long Mick and Joe song ‘U.S. North’ from 1986, the
biographical and mythical recording ‘The Cool Impossible’, and ‘London Is Burning’ one of the last songs Joe recorded.

JoeRoberts
Corner Soul

Post by JoeRoberts »

I remember a demo version of Road to Rock'n'roll years ago, maybe from some "Generations" bootleg. Am I wrong?I also remember Joe covering two Dylan Songs in a Radio Show.

It would be nice if those acoustic songs will come out in a possibile "002" volume.

Anyway. I've been listening to the new collection for a while. I'm very happy the solo stuff of Joe finally has a kind of recognition. The man deserve that. In the years after Joe's death I found my self listening more to his solo songs than Clash albums...

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

JoeRoberts wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 4:58pm
I remember a demo version of Road to Rock'n'roll years ago, maybe from some "Generations" bootleg. Am I wrong?I also remember Joe covering two Dylan Songs in a Radio Show.

It would be nice if those acoustic songs will come out in a possibile "002" volume.

Anyway. I've been listening to the new collection for a while. I'm very happy the solo stuff of Joe finally has a kind of recognition. The man deserve that. In the years after Joe's death I found my self listening more to his solo songs than Clash albums...
Was the demo X Ray Style, rather than Road to Rock'n'roll?

Dylan songs noted here; http://musicruinedmylife.blogspot.com/2 ... dylan.html

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

blureu wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 3:58pm
This is worth a listen:

On Saturday September 29th 10am -12pm, Boogaloo Radio broadcast this special show, about the amazing new album Joe Strummer 001. Hosted by two people who knew him better than most- his widow Lucinda Tait, and close friend Dylan White. They discussed the new album and the extraordinary find of 11 new songs to delight Strummer fans all over the world.
The album includes rare tracks as well as new re-masters - with an album of unreleased material including a solo demo of ‘Letsagetabitarockin’ recorded in Elgin Avenue in 1975, ‘Rose Of Erin’ from the 1993 Sara Driver film ‘When Pigs Fly’, two outtakes from ‘Sid & Nancy’, the over ten minute long Mick and Joe song ‘U.S. North’ from 1986, the
biographical and mythical recording ‘The Cool Impossible’, and ‘London Is Burning’ one of the last songs Joe recorded.
Not available in the USA.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

JoeRoberts wrote:

Was the Road to RNR demo acoustic? I think I remember that. I thought it was either from a radio show or maybe an in-store performance. I don't seem to have it anymore.

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Post by Vimmattu »

Cheers everybody! My deluxe box set arrived yesterday coincidentally when I was browsing through this thread. Looks very sweet, a lot of effort was put to the packaging and visual representation. As for the musical content, I am probably not able to listen before weekend. What I have heard and seen on Youtube so far I am really happy with. US North, I just love it. I even have my tape deck ready for Full Moon. I truly hope more volumes would be released at least in regular and more affordable cd/vinyl formats. It would be cool to be able to compile thorough chronological sets of the different eras. The Warner/Chappel deal is interesting and maybe it is a sign that more Joe Product will see the light of the day.
- Pilled up and rrattling -

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

bmc wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 5:27pm
Clash demos

I am beginning to think that all these demos are pre Lucky 8 (Nov 1983).

1) They are much more basic than Lucky 8 demos. This is England, Pouring Rain, Before We Go Forward (Nov 83 = Backwoods Drive)
2) We are The Clash has a good month by month account of the Clash and there is no reference to tapes in July 1984. The band are clicking their heels waiting. The next tape to appear is the end of August and is the 3 or 4 mariachi tracks recorded by Joe (with Kosmo there) in LA.
I'm beginning to think you are right. The key is probably the different versions of TIE, studying arrangements and lyrical changes to see if there is a coherent path from the August 83 demo to the CTC version. Pouring Rain is radically different in the "July 84" version than any other Clash 2 version. It might make more sense that it was actually pre-Nov 83 as you had suggested since by Nov. 83, it was the straight feel that Clash 2 played and then rearranged (still straight) around April 84. I don't think they played it after the May tour, so it's not impossible that he decided to radically rearrange it after the tour.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

C1ashCityRockr
Dirty Punk

Post by C1ashCityRockr »

laxman wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 5:47pm
JoeRoberts wrote:

Was the demo X Ray Style, rather than Road to Rock'n'roll?

Dylan songs noted here; http://musicruinedmylife.blogspot.com/2 ... dylan.html
The Dylan covers no longer play. Does anyone have a copy? I'd love to hear these.

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

JOE STRUMMER 001 in at #30 in the UK charts, pop pickers. His highest charting album.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 12:58pm
JOE STRUMMER 001 in at #30 in the UK charts, pop pickers. His highest charting album.
Great, maybe this will lead to more releases.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board