Wilderness Years - vote your top 3

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Wilderness Years - vote your top 3

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:Global is far and away the best post Clash album.
Mondo Wrongo

It just peters out after a great start.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
We don't always agree, but when you're right, you're right.
So many of y'all have fine taste in music, which always leads me to try and re-try albums and artists, but I've just never cared much for Global. I'll likely give it another spin tomorrow now that it's in my brain.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Global is not just far and away the best post Clash album, it only narrowly trails London Calling in the entire Clash and Clash-related canon. A masterpiece from first groove to last.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I've said before, Global would be at least 125% better if it replaced the instrumental Minstrel Boy with the vocal version from Black Hawk Down.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:I've said before, Global would be at least 125% better if it replaced the instrumental Minstrel Boy with the vocal version from Black Hawk Down.
Steady on you will get tongues wagging flirting with me like this.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
Mondo Wrongo

It just peters out after a great start.
The good songs are good enough to carry the weaker ones. Bhindi Bhagee is one of the best songs written by Joe inlcuding The Clash.
Rock Art is not that far behind and if you combine the best tracks with Streetcore best you have a great collection of songs.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Okay, these songs are entitled

I Wish I Was Drunk In Havana
In Trash City On Party Avenue
Some Dreams Are Made For Children
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

I have tried so hard to get into Joe's solo music for so many years so here today is another attempt as i have some time on my hands. So what i thought i would do was take everyone's suggestions in this thread and have a listen give it another try just in case i have missed something.

Hmm not very impressive is it , lets be honest

My three are (which are all good songs they just are far and few apart when you look at his career)

1. Burning Lights (I hired a contract killer)
2. Sleepwalking
3. Bhindi Bhagee

Joe was a spokesman a great front man probably the best ever. So much energy live could really move mountains with his performance on stage. Really blew me away. His timing and delivery was flawless a truly fantastic singer

Plain average as a song writer though, if it wasn't for who he was i wouldn't spend more than 10 minutes before i wrote him off. Until next time i will listen to something else.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

NoMoreHugh wrote: Hmm not very impressive is it , lets be honest

Plain average as a song writer though, if it wasn't for who he was i wouldn't spend more than 10 minutes before i wrote him off. Until next time i will listen to something else.
Well, I disagree.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Silent Majority wrote:

Well, I disagree.
oh well that changes everything then :mrgreen:

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

NoMoreHugh wrote: Joe was a spokesman a great front man probably the best ever. So much energy live could really move mountains with his performance on stage. Really blew me away. His timing and delivery was flawless a truly fantastic singer

Interesting. I know a lot of people share this sentiment, but I very much disagree. If I had to make a 10 song Clash mix (and I really hope I never do), I'd have WMIHP, SEH, LC, RCF, BR, STH and WB, which sounds like a Joe tune to me. That's 7/10, though I can't say how much Mick contributed to any of these.

MIck was more prolific and undoubtedly had better quality control, but Joe's highs were just as high.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Well, I disagree.
oh well that changes everything then :mrgreen:
Thats fair enough i wish it was different for me as well. Nothing i would have wanted more was to have a load of Strummer material that i could enjoy. Just wasnt to be i guess

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

msza2 wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote: Joe was a spokesman a great front man probably the best ever. So much energy live could really move mountains with his performance on stage. Really blew me away. His timing and delivery was flawless a truly fantastic singer

Interesting. I know a lot of people share this sentiment, but I very much disagree. If I had to make a 10 song Clash mix (and I really hope I never do), I'd have WMIHP, SEH, LC, RCF, BR, STH and WB, which sounds like a Joe tune to me. That's 7/10, though I can't say how much Mick contributed to any of these.

MIck was more prolific and undoubtedly had better quality control, but Joe's highs were just as high.
I love the clash to bits - I wasnt included any clash songs. Although i think Mick pretty much wrote (musically at least) the majority if not advised on all the clash songs.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Of course Mick was the de facto musical director with the Clash but Joe's input is very easy to overlook. He was more than a simple wordsmith and he was a great songwriter in his own right. That's my take on it anyway.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Low Down Low wrote:Of course Mick was the de facto musical director with the Clash but Joe's input is very easy to overlook. He was more than a simple wordsmith and he was a great songwriter in his own right. That's my take on it anyway.
I think Joe needed to be inspired and of course definitely needs Micks input and advice. Most of those songs are average and somewhere in their is probably a song that can be saved it just needs Mick to say "try this" "and try that" and to be able to craft the song and translate it into something better, something that makes everyone stop and listen.

Joe's songwriting is similar to myself strumming straight eights to a great song clash song, singing flatly all the way through crucifying it to nothing. Only its the other way in reverse for Joe. The song is there it just needs a tune smith and craftsman like Mick to reveal it. I dont think good production would improve the songs i think it needs a slight rewrite.

Yin and Yang