Joe's teeth

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Joe's teeth

Post by matedog »

Diana wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 8:45am
Cliff Cooper founder of ORANGE amps was the manger of the Little Roosters. He cut a deal with Joe after persuading him to get his teeth sorted with Cliff's Australian dentist Doctor Newbury in Harley street London.
Joe really didn't want to go, but Cliff persuaded him. Joe had been losing a lot of weight, possibly due to his bad and decaying teeth.
Cliff paid for the treatment and Joe in return refused to accept any payment for producing the Little Roosters album. Joe loved the Little Roosters music and especially the cheeky young cockney singer and guitarist Gary Lammin .
Very cool info.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 9:30am
Diana wrote:
Cliff Cooper founder of ORANGE amps was the manger of the Little Roosters. He cut a deal with Joe after persuading him to get his teeth sorted with Cliff's Australian dentist Doctor Newbury in Harley street London.
Joe really didn't want to go, but Cliff persuaded him. Joe had been losing a lot of weight, possibly due to his bad and decaying teeth.
Cliff paid for the treatment and Joe in return refused to accept any payment for producing the Little Roosters album. Joe loved the Little Roosters music and especially the cheeky young cockney singer and guitarist Gary Lammin .
Great info, cheers. I have met Gary Lammin and he is indeed a nice fella.
I've noticed Gary turning up in a few tv things of late. He was the postman in Kate and Koji.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Come to think of it, Joe does look a bit gaunt in the Call Up video which would have been just before his treatment. He was looking and sounding much better in 81 and 82 with his new choppers. His vocals especially had improved massively live by 1982.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 1:53pm
Come to think of it, Joe does look a bit gaunt in the Call Up video which would have been just before his treatment. He was looking and sounding much better in 81 and 82 with his new choppers. His vocals especially had improved massively live by 1982.
Agreed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 8:32pm
Heston wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 8:00pm
Can we put a date on when he got his teeth fixed? I was watching the Call Up video and I don't think they'd been done by then. I wonder if it was a Bernie command?
Joe produced The Little Roosters single "I Need A Witness" in late 1980. He also produced the bulk of their album (same session) which wasn't realeased until early 1981. So at a guess I would say Joe used the money for dental work somewhere between Nov '80 - Jan '81.

Check out Garrie Lammin's front tooth blacked out. A nod to Joe I reckon.
I must say I prefer Cock Sparrer's version.
Is the album worth to trace?

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Diana wrote:
Yes, great info - thanks for posting.
Which other music forum could uncover such detailed facts about musicians' dental work like this? :mrgreen:
I never knew about Cliff Cooper until I saw the doc Tales from Tin Pan Alley, in which his role in Denmark Street's history gets featured.

https://www.tinpanalleytales.co.uk
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

JohnS wrote:
02 Jul 2020, 7:06pm
Diana wrote:
Yes, great info - thanks for posting.
Which other music forum could uncover such detailed facts about musicians' dental work like this? :mrgreen:
No need to worry until this is posted in the collectors' thread.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?