Joe's Brigade Rosse T-Shirt

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Joe's Brigade Rosse T-Shirt

Post by WestwayKid »

I kept getting a Facebook ad yesterday from some group called "Real Clash Fans" promoting a reprint of Joe's infamous "Brigade Rosse" T- shirt. First of all, the ad claimed Joe wore it during the "Sandinista! period" which was not the case. Secondly, didn't Joe later admit it was a mistake to wear that shirt? They were only on sale for a limited time ($24.95 US).
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Joe's Brigade Rosse T-Shirt

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 May 2019, 8:18am
I kept getting a Facebook ad yesterday from some group called "Real Clash Fans" promoting a reprint of Joe's infamous "Brigade Rosse" T- shirt. First of all, the ad claimed Joe wore it during the "Sandinista! period" which was not the case. Secondly, didn't Joe later admit it was a mistake to wear that shirt? They were only on sale for a limited time ($24.95 US).
I saw it too. They were getting some stick in the comments. Always thought it was a bit of a daft decision by Joe to wear it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
30 May 2019, 8:35am
WestwayKid wrote:
I saw it too. They were getting some stick in the comments. Always thought it was a bit of a daft decision by Joe to wear it.
Yup - a poor clothing decision from Joe - but he did later admit as much.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

WestwayKid wrote:
30 May 2019, 8:50am
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Agree. Get a Dread At The Controls shirt instead. Way better.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
The comments were rather entertaining, I think I sat with them for about 5 minutes.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Positively absolutely.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
It’s features so prominently in Rude Boy too. Isn’t there a scene where he’s washing it in the sink? What does he say about it?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

matedog wrote:
30 May 2019, 1:54pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Heston wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
It’s features so prominently in Rude Boy too. Isn’t there a scene where he’s washing it in the sink? What does he say about it?
Name of a pizza restaurant I think.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

What have I always said about 1978 being their worst year for clothes/hair?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Stupid question probably but what was controversial about the t shirt?

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

BitterTom wrote:
30 May 2019, 4:19pm
Stupid question probably but what was controversial about the t shirt?
I was being lazy sorry, Googled my way out of it.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I keep getting that on my Facebook feed the comments are quite funny.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
30 May 2019, 5:09pm
I keep getting that on my Facebook feed the comments are quite funny.
They bill it as a limited time offer. I clicked on it on Wednesday and there was a clock counting down to when it expired. There was about 6 hours left. I saw it again this morning and there was a new counter counting down. Guess it's not so limited after all - or maybe nobody actually wants them.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

A few t-shirt stalls in Camden Market used to sell these for years, alongside the usual Zeppelin/ Ramones/ Beatles etc etc designs. They may still do, I haven’t been round there for ages.
I always thought it was a weird choice to have on sale, for being such an obscure Clash reference as much as politicallly offensive.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Search Google and you will find loads of those t shirts.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia