The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 28274
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by Flex » 20 Jun 2019, 5:36pm

Voting will start Monday, with the usual structure - voting off the song you like least each round - and the format of going side-by-side for each album.

To be included:

The 101ers
Elgin Avenue Revisited

Wilderness Years
Walker*
Permanent Record (Strummer tracks only, obvs)
Earthquake Weather
Soundtrack appearances/b-sides/rarities**

The Mescaleros
Rock Art and The X-Ray Style
Global A Go-Go
Streetcore
Misc b-sides/rarities**

*QUESTION: Do people want to vote for every track on the Walker soundtrack? It's good music, but sort of an unusual beast in that it's mostly instrumental scores. I could either present the entire soundtrack or include the handful of vocal tracks in with the other misc tracks voting section. Happy to do either.

**NOTE: As with the Clash and BAD polls, I will mostly not be including alternate mixes (unless they're full dubs that warrant a different title: don't worry - you'll get to vote for Baby O'Boogie) or random live tracks. For the Meskies period, this extends to excluding Clash covers that were released as b-sides and on comps and such. There are a couple of exceptions to this rule that I can think of that I plan to make, and if you can too we're probably on the same page.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31260
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by Heston » 20 Jun 2019, 5:40pm

I say go with the Walker vocal tracks only. It's decent music for playing chess to but I couldn't really judge the instrumental pieces against each other.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 52573
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!
Contact:

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by Wolter » 20 Jun 2019, 5:44pm

Heston wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 5:40pm
I say go with the Walker vocal tracks only. It's decent music for playing chess to but I couldn't really judge the instrumental pieces against each other.
Agreed.

Also the weakness of the survivor format is laid bare when literally every track on Permanent Record is a contender to beat the EW winner.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19038
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by 101Walterton » 20 Jun 2019, 8:52pm

Wolter wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 5:44pm
Heston wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 5:40pm
I say go with the Walker vocal tracks only. It's decent music for playing chess to but I couldn't really judge the instrumental pieces against each other.
Agreed.

Also the weakness of the survivor format is laid bare when literally every track on Permanent Record is a contender to beat the EW winner.
Thirded

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 10904
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by Kory » 21 Jun 2019, 1:42pm

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 8:52pm
Wolter wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 5:44pm
Heston wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 5:40pm
I say go with the Walker vocal tracks only. It's decent music for playing chess to but I couldn't really judge the instrumental pieces against each other.
Agreed.

Also the weakness of the survivor format is laid bare when literally every track on Permanent Record is a contender to beat the EW winner.
Thirded
Fourth'd.

I am excited for this.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31260
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by Heston » 21 Jun 2019, 4:03pm

Just had Elgin Avenue Breakdown on for research purposes. Looking forward to this, cheers Flex.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2874
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by BitterTom » 21 Jun 2019, 4:06pm

As a Joe novice, what are the bookies favourites?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31260
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by Heston » 21 Jun 2019, 4:47pm

BitterTom wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 4:06pm
As a Joe novice, what are the bookies favourites?
Maybe not the bookies' choice but these are my favourites and I will back them to the hilt...

The 101ers
Elgin Avenue Revisited Rabies From the Dogs of Love

Wilderness Years
Walker* The Unknown Immortal
Permanent Record (Strummer tracks only, obvs) Trash City
Earthquake Weather Island Hopping
Soundtrack appearances/b-sides/rarities** Evil Darling

The Mescaleros
Rock Art and The X-Ray Style Sandpaper Blues
Global A Go-Go Johnny Appleseed
Streetcore Coma Girl
Misc b-sides/rarities It's a Rocking World
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 28274
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by Flex » 21 Jun 2019, 4:58pm

Oh, and another question since we're chatting: on Elgin avenue, should I include the live tracks or studio only? I've otherwise been discounting live cuts, but these represent, like, half the total output of the 101ers. What say you all?
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31260
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by Heston » 21 Jun 2019, 5:12pm

Flex wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 4:58pm
Oh, and another question since we're chatting: on Elgin avenue, should I include the live tracks or studio only? I've otherwise been discounting live cuts, but these represent, like, half the total output of the 101ers. What say you all?
Studio say I.

I listened to the tracks tonight and they're just historical curios really. And mostly covers.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19038
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by 101Walterton » 21 Jun 2019, 6:08pm

Flex wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 4:58pm
Oh, and another question since we're chatting: on Elgin avenue, should I include the live tracks or studio only? I've otherwise been discounting live cuts, but these represent, like, half the total output of the 101ers. What say you all?
I would say include anything that is on the album as they hardly ever went near a studio.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19038
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by 101Walterton » 21 Jun 2019, 6:10pm

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 4:47pm
BitterTom wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 4:06pm
As a Joe novice, what are the bookies favourites?
Maybe not the bookies' choice but these are my favourites and I will back them to the hilt...

The 101ers
Elgin Avenue Revisited Rabies From the Dogs of Love

Wilderness Years
Walker* The Unknown Immortal
Permanent Record (Strummer tracks only, obvs) Trash City
Earthquake Weather Island Hopping
Soundtrack appearances/b-sides/rarities** Evil Darling

The Mescaleros
Rock Art and The X-Ray Style Sandpaper Blues
Global A Go-Go Johnny Appleseed
Streetcore Coma Girl
Misc b-sides/rarities It's a Rocking World
As much as I like your picks I disagree with them all 😊

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31260
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by Heston » 21 Jun 2019, 6:13pm

I wonder how long Boogie With Your Children lasts? Could it be a surprise outsider for the title?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15033
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by Silent Majority » 21 Jun 2019, 6:18pm

Heston wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 6:13pm
I wonder how long Boogie With Your Children lasts? Could it be a surprise outsider for the title?
No.
There's a lot of wreckage in the ravine

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19038
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The GREAT Joe Strummer SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: Pre-Gaming

Post by 101Walterton » 21 Jun 2019, 6:23pm

What about all the 001 tracks (demos alts etc) do they go with respective albums and what about the demos of Clash songs are they excluded?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests