ROUND 3 - Earthquake Weather, Side 1

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!

Vote for the song you like LEAST

Poll ended at 27 Jun 2019, 2:09pm

Gangsterville
5%
King of the Bayou
11%
Island Hopping
5%
Slant Six
79%
Shouting Street
No votes

Total votes: 19

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: ROUND 3 - Earthquake Weather, Side 1

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:06pm
Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:01pm
Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 2:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 1:52pm

But forever marred by horrible production.
Funnily enough, I've never minded the production on this album. The first time I heard it was on vinyl, which always sounds like a speaker in a sock to me, so even when I hear it on CD, I think "that's about right."
Also so like you: benefiting from diminished expectations. :shifty:
Hey, I AM reading all flagship and crossover X-Titles from 1975–2019...
You're my fastball special.
Excellent usage!

I'm just about wrapped up. I just have to read Hunt for Wolverine, Return of Wolverine, and then UXM 11–16 and I'll be done with my main thing. Then I'm going to go back and read a couple clean-up volumes I missed, but it's been a hell of a 2-year ride and I feel like I'm going to have a little grief when I'm done. I suppose tallying up the number of pages and issues I read in total should be pretty fun. It's weird how much of my life these characters have taken up.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 2:42pm

Funnily enough, I've never minded the production on this album. The first time I heard it was on vinyl, which always sounds like a speaker in a sock to me, so even when I hear it on CD, I think "that's about right."
Excellent usage!

I'm just about wrapped up. I just have to read Hunt for Wolverine, Return of Wolverine, and then UXM 11–16 and I'll be done with my main thing. Then I'm going to go back and read a couple clean-up volumes I missed, but it's been a hell of a 2-year ride and I feel like I'm going to have a little grief when I'm done. I suppose tallying up the number of pages and issues I read in total should be pretty fun. It's weird how much of my life these characters have taken up.
Have you enjoyed it?
Joining the Street Parade

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
In case you're unaware, John Byrne's exercising his decades-old grievances against Claremont by writing and drawing his own for-funsies X-Men series called X-Men: Elsewhen. The premise is that Phoenix didn't commit suicide on the moon, but her mind was infantilized, and the adventures go from there. He's explicit about wanting to "fix" all the "mischaracterizations" that Claremont et al committed. He had hoped to get Marvel to pick it up but no dice (my guess is that his appalling comments on any number of topics are something Disney wouldn't want to be attached to in any way). So he's putting up a page a day and letting his cult stroke his ego. It's under the well-hidden FanFic sub-forum (http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/foru ... .asp?FID=6).
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I remember reading Strummer mixed the album by seeing how it sounded on cassette in a car radio.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:53pm
I remember reading Strummer mixed the album by seeing how it sounded on cassette in a car radio.
The Cars said they did that for Candy-O. They rejected using prime speakers for average car radio speakers, figuring that's how most people would hear it. Their results were much, much better.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
It has sounded bad on every format I've heard. Joe's voice is like a distant gurgle.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 4:11pm
Silent Majority wrote:
It has sounded bad on every format I've heard. Joe's voice is like a distant gurgle.
Yep maybe Joe should not have produced it himself.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 4:48pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
ehm, would josé unidos have done a better job with the production?!
it did work nice listening to it in the car for me way back. have it on casette.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

ohsoso wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 4:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
it did work nice listening to it in the car for me way back. have it on casette.
Nope but Bill Price would've.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:37pm
Kory wrote:
In case you're unaware, John Byrne's exercising his decades-old grievances against Claremont by writing and drawing his own for-funsies X-Men series called X-Men: Elsewhen. The premise is that Phoenix didn't commit suicide on the moon, but her mind was infantilized, and the adventures go from there. He's explicit about wanting to "fix" all the "mischaracterizations" that Claremont et al committed. He had hoped to get Marvel to pick it up but no dice (my guess is that his appalling comments on any number of topics are something Disney wouldn't want to be attached to in any way). So he's putting up a page a day and letting his cult stroke his ego. It's under the well-hidden FanFic sub-forum (http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/foru ... .asp?FID=6).
Eh, I'm pretty Team Claremont in general, but I believe both Byrne AND Claremont resisted killing Jean, right? I know there's an alternate ending that they created at the time until Shooter got his editorial hooks in.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

deny wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:26pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Excellent usage!

Have you enjoyed it?
Very much! Obviously with something that long-running with multiple creators and editors that have very different agendas, you're going to have a lot of peaks and valleys. But I would say I like a lot more things about the franchise than I dislike, and I also had my mind changed on a lot of things after reading in context for so long.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 5:13pm
ohsoso wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Imagine all Clash records produced by Bill, now that's an alternate timeline I'd like to hear.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 5:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:37pm
Kory wrote:
Eh, I'm pretty Team Claremont in general, but I believe both Byrne AND Claremont resisted killing Jean, right? I know there's an alternate ending that they created at the time until Shooter got his editorial hooks in.
Right. There's also some score-settling with Shooter in this project. But Byrne is mainly "correcting" what he sees as mischaracterization of Kitty Pryde and Cyclops, both when he was on the book and after. It's cool that he wants to revisit these characters, but it's pettiness that drives it that is so sad. It also reflects an arrogance that there's only one correct interpretation of the characters (coincidentally, Byrne agrees with it), so everyone else has ruined them. Someone as accomplished and materially comfortable as him, and he treats his twilight years by acting out his bitterness.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 5:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 5:13pm
ohsoso wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Imagine all Clash records produced by Bill, now that's an alternate timeline I'd like to hear.
Yep Bill understood the band best and had a sympathetic ear. Brilliant producer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Yet the Carbon/Silicon record didn't really convince me.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?