ROUND 3 - Earthquake Weather, Side 1

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!

Vote for the song you like LEAST

Poll ended at 27 Jun 2019, 2:09pm

Gangsterville
5%
King of the Bayou
11%
Island Hopping
5%
Slant Six
79%
Shouting Street
No votes

Total votes: 19

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: ROUND 3 - Earthquake Weather, Side 1

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 4:01am
Yet the Carbon/Silicon record didn't really convince me.
He only mixed it. The band recorded it with that infernal drum machine.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 5:48pm
deny wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:26pm
Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:06pm
Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:02pm

Hey, I AM reading all flagship and crossover X-Titles from 1975–2019...
You're my fastball special.
Excellent usage!

I'm just about wrapped up. I just have to read Hunt for Wolverine, Return of Wolverine, and then UXM 11–16 and I'll be done with my main thing. Then I'm going to go back and read a couple clean-up volumes I missed, but it's been a hell of a 2-year ride and I feel like I'm going to have a little grief when I'm done. I suppose tallying up the number of pages and issues I read in total should be pretty fun. It's weird how much of my life these characters have taken up.
Have you enjoyed it?
Very much! Obviously with something that long-running with multiple creators and editors that have very different agendas, you're going to have a lot of peaks and valleys. But I would say I like a lot more things about the franchise than I dislike, and I also had my mind changed on a lot of things after reading in context for so long.
Thanks For the comment Kory & it is interesting. I am that old that I bought the Claremont/Byrne/Austin run when it came out & soon stopped collecting after Byrne left - issue 143. I have read a few since but I never got in to it like once was. If you could recommend any runs that would be very helpful.
I have just bought an X-Men comic that is high grade if you want I could post a photo of it?
Cheers
Joining the Street Parade

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

deny wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 12:33pm
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:06pm

You're my fastball special.
Excellent usage!

I'm just about wrapped up. I just have to read Hunt for Wolverine, Return of Wolverine, and then UXM 11–16 and I'll be done with my main thing. Then I'm going to go back and read a couple clean-up volumes I missed, but it's been a hell of a 2-year ride and I feel like I'm going to have a little grief when I'm done. I suppose tallying up the number of pages and issues I read in total should be pretty fun. It's weird how much of my life these characters have taken up.
Have you enjoyed it?
Very much! Obviously with something that long-running with multiple creators and editors that have very different agendas, you're going to have a lot of peaks and valleys. But I would say I like a lot more things about the franchise than I dislike, and I also had my mind changed on a lot of things after reading in context for so long.
Thanks For the comment Kory & it is interesting. I am that old that I bought the Claremont/Byrne/Austin run when it came out & soon stopped collecting after Byrne left - issue 143. I have read a few since but I never got in to it like once was. If you could recommend any runs that would be very helpful.
I have just bought an X-Men comic that is high grade if you want I could post a photo of it?
Cheers
Yeah that would be cool! Let me think about runs you might like. What were the defining characteristics about the stuff you've read that you thought the later stuff didn't have?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Kory wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 12:40pm
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:

Excellent usage!

Have you enjoyed it?
Cheers
Yeah that would be cool! Let me think about runs you might like. What were the defining characteristics about the stuff you've read that you thought the later stuff didn't have?
Maybe I am fickle but I loved & still love Byrne's art. Typically though good story & good art - if the art is bad I really struggle to read a book.
Here is one of my new old books.
Attachments
X-men 141.jpg

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

deny wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 12:48pm
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:

Have you enjoyed it?
Cheers
Maybe I am fickle but I loved & still love Byrne's art. Typically though good story & good art - if the art is bad I really struggle to read a book.
Whoa dang, that's a big one! Thanks for posting!

Did you like Alan Davis on anything? His two runs on Excalibur are some of my favorites of all time, and he's been described as a "squishy John Byrne." He did another run with Claremont in the mid 2000s which was...ok (the art was great).

I'll think of a couple runs that might appeal and get back to you. I'm going to be going through and tallying up how many pages/issues I read over the course of the whole thing so that will remind me of a few, I'm sure.

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Kory wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 12:52pm
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:

Cheers

Did you like Alan Davis on anything? His two runs on Excalibur are some of my favorites of all time, and he's been described as a "squishy John Byrne." He did another run with Claremont in the mid 2000s which was...ok (the art was great).

I'll think of a couple runs that might appeal and get back to you. I'm going to be going through and tallying up how many pages/issues I read over the course of the whole thing so that will remind me of a few, I'm sure.
thanks Kory - yes I like Alan Davis's art very much although I don't know much about Excalibur. I have also read Wheddon & Cassady & Morrison & Quietly's runs which overall I enjoyed. I look forward to your pointers please. In the meantime here is another.
Attachments
X-men 142.jpg

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

deny wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 1:21pm
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:

Cheers

thanks Kory - yes I like Alan Davis's art very much although I don't know much about Excalibur. I have also read Wheddon & Cassady & Morrison & Quietly's runs which overall I enjoyed. I look forward to your pointers please. In the meantime here is another.
You have some very iconic issues!

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Kory wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 1:40pm
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:

Thanks I chose them because of the high grade. I have unslabbed copies so I can still read them.
I understand grading & slabbing for buying & selling purposes but not being able to read the book defeats the object of having it.
I have just sent this one off for pressing & cleaning.
Attachments
Asgard.jpg
Asgard.jpg (103.75 KiB) Viewed 2363 times

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

deny wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 1:47pm
Kory wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 1:40pm
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
deny wrote:

Thanks I chose them because of the high grade. I have unslabbed copies so I can still read them.
I understand grading & slabbing for buying & selling purposes but not being able to read the book defeats the object of having it.
I have just sent this one off for pressing & cleaning.
Damn that's a real early one. I have Cerebus #3 and #5 slabbed, but I have the paperback collections, so it's no big reading loss, at least. I'd kind of like to get #1 slabbed just to keep it safe, but I'm pretty wary about sending it through the mail to CGC.