ROUND 3 - Global A Go-Go, LP 1

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!

Vote for the song you like LEAST

Poll ended at 27 Jun 2019, 2:18pm

Johnny Appleseed
14%
Cool 'N' Out
41%
Global A Go-Go
18%
Bhindi Bhagee
9%
Shaktar Donetsk
18%

Total votes: 22

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: ROUND 3 - Global A Go-Go, LP 1

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 1:43pm
I'm a lot more concerned about why Joe doesn't have any mushy peas in his neighborhood. When I was in England, it seemed you could get them just about anywhere.
No, they haven't really got them round there.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 1:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 12:46pm
Why are we beholden to only one consistent criteria or perspective of criticism? If the point of the exercise were to critique the critic, yeah, you could definitely nail me for inconsistency. But for deciding whether a song works or not relative to others in a group, we should be able to pick and choose our standards as we wish. I'm reasonably sure that we've all done that throughout all these various votes, emphasizing lyrics at one point, music at another, remote perspective, deeply personal perspective, whether something has aged poorly or well, etc. I remember you voting against "Clampdown" because you said Beto loves it. I laughed at the time—it's a good line—but if I were to critique you on your choice, it'd be that that's dubious criteria that you didn't apply to other songs. In the same way, I interpret Hoy's take as tongue-in-cheek—again, I laughed at his line. He's using snark to critique a song that doesn't resonate with him.
I'm not trying to nail you for inconsistency, I was just trying to get at that you obviously let context inform how you listen to music on other occassions, so why wouldn't you do so here?

It's legit, I suppose, to consider a song without any extra-textual context (although I think I made the case above that I disagree on the merits under those conditions as well), but why would doing that be preferable when you have that extra information in your head already? We weigh different criteria when we evaluate songs, but I like to think I've never just wholesale chucked out context info to make my case.
Because we're fundamentally irrational creatures who use the trappings of reason to cover that up. It's not so much about chucking out context, but what we want emphasize from context to context, example to example. We pick and choose what we privilege.

And, to be clear, it's not my position that Bhindi is superficial undergrad nonsense; I'm saying that Hoy's position is entirely defensible in interpreting it as too lyrically earnest and obvious in its open-mindedness. I'm rejecting the notion that there's some kind of hierarchy of criteria and that Hoy is using one for which he should be scorned. Again, I have no doubt that if we examine every one of our votes along the way, there are some goofy choices along the way. I'm basically rejecting the MarkyJacobs "Have You All Gone Mad For Voting Against [pick any BAD song]?" stance.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 1:44pm
Kory wrote:
I'm a lot more concerned about why Joe doesn't have any mushy peas in his neighborhood. When I was in England, it seemed you could get them just about anywhere.
But we do got...
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 1:47pm
Because we're fundamentally irrational creatures who use the trappings of reason to cover that up. It's not so much about chucking out context, but what we want emphasize from context to context, example to example. We pick and choose what we privilege.

And, to be clear, it's not my position that Bhindi is superficial undergrad nonsense; I'm saying that Hoy's position is entirely defensible in interpreting it as too lyrically earnest and obvious in its open-mindedness. I'm rejecting the notion that there's some kind of hierarchy of criteria and that Hoy is using one for which he should be scorned. Again, I have no doubt that if we examine every one of our votes along the way, there are some goofy choices along the way. I'm basically rejecting the MarkyJacobs "Have You All Gone Mad For Voting Against [pick any BAD song]?" stance.
Okay, I don't really dispute any of that (and I'm not trying to come off like a humorless MarkyJacobs). I'm not writing Hoy out of my will for having a hot take about a Meskies song or anything. I'm just making jawin' about the song (which, given the way he provocatively threw that out there, I'm presuming he was hoping for some reaction).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 1:47pm

Okay, I don't really dispute any of that (and I'm not trying to come off like a humorless MarkyJacobs). I'm not writing Hoy out of my will for having a hot take about a Meskies song or anything. I'm just making jawin' about the song (which, given the way he provocatively threw that out there, I'm presuming he was hoping for some reaction).
Right—it was a great line (really, it's damned funny when read in an exasperated voice) to get a reaction and should be appreciated in that spirit. And it worked to get us arguing about it, so it succeeds that way, too.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

The thing about Bhindi Bhagee is that it is very musically interesting. The groove is brilliant and all the instrumental stuff interlocks perfectly, it rises and falls perfectly with Joe's idiosyncratic vocal. That is my main gripe with the Meskies, some of their output feels like aimless jamming to me, but BB is where they nailed it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 1:48pm
Silent Majority wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 1:44pm
Kory wrote:
But we do got...
Cue penny whistle...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

matedog wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 11:46am
It bothers me because he sounds like some well to do suburban 22 year old who just graduated from some expensive suburban liberal arts college and just moved to like New York City and is like "OMG, I can get falafel at 3am. Isn't The City the best?!"
I just think you completely missed the point of the song.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 5:36pm
matedog wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 11:46am
It bothers me because he sounds like some well to do suburban 22 year old who just graduated from some expensive suburban liberal arts college and just moved to like New York City and is like "OMG, I can get falafel at 3am. Isn't The City the best?!"
I just think you completely missed the point of the song.
Meskies really are wonderful at 101Wolterton
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 5:45pm
Meskies really are wonderful at 101Wolterton
101Flolter, really.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

One of most significant part of the song is the fact that he is talking to someone who ‘has just got in from New Zealand’. This gives the song the context. He isn’t talking to a tourist or an alien. The fact he is from NZ is significant and not just from a geography point of of view.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 6:02pm
One of most significant part of the song is the fact that he is talking to someone who ‘has just got in from New Zealand’. This gives the song the context. He isn’t talking to a tourist or an alien. The fact he is from NZ is significant and not just from a geography point of of view.
Should he not have been looking for sheep?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 7:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
Or 2-Tone records?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 7:43pm
Heston wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 7:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
Or 2-Tone records?
Well, can't it be both?
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
Just my $0.2 for what its worth, but i agree entirely with this. The context for me is that Joe is writing about a place that is undergoing a transformation at that point in time, from worthy but rather dull, monochrome locality to diverse, vibrant and much more interesting habitat. (Actually, i'm kind of assuming this as I cant claim to have known that area intimately, but i did know similar ones very close by and that's what was occurring). I think the song feeds off the energy and vibrancy of what Joe, as an observer, was experiencing and it all feels very powerful and authentic to me at least.

In terms of context, i cant say for sure, but my bet would be that if joe was still around and writing about that same neighbourhood now, the subject of the song would be gentrification.