ROUND 3 - Global A Go-Go, LP 1

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!

Vote for the song you like LEAST

Poll ended at 27 Jun 2019, 2:18pm

Johnny Appleseed
14%
Cool 'N' Out
41%
Global A Go-Go
18%
Bhindi Bhagee
9%
Shaktar Donetsk
18%

Total votes: 22

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

ROUND 3 - Global A Go-Go, LP 1

Post by Flex »

I took a Mega Bottle Ride to Losersville, because songs that get voted out are losers. You get it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: ROUND 3 - Global A Go-Go, LP 1

Post by Kory »

Fuck, this is way too hard.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

Voting off the title track, but I hate doing it. Love all these songs to death. The others just scrape a little higher.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Cool N Out for me.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 2:31pm
Cool N Out for me.
Same. And I love it. This album is so dang good.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex

Post by Flex »

I cannot believe Shaktar is leading right now. Jesus christ, this board.

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Who are the monsters that voted for SD?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Cool 'n' Out is massively overrated.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 3:43pm
Who are the monsters that voted for SD?
Flex wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 3:35pm
I cannot believe Shaktar is leading right now. Jesus christ, this board.
Adding to the chorus of “the hell is wrong with you people?”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rather than cranking about how stupid people are with their choices, I'd prefer to hear why certain songs deserve support. Which is to say, my vote can be earned one way or the other with a persuasive argument.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 5:35pm
Rather than cranking about how stupid people are with their choices, I'd prefer to hear why certain songs deserve support. Which is to say, my vote can be earned one way or the other with a persuasive argument.
Shaktar is easily in the top 5 of lyrics Joe ever wrote and it's a towering, moody behemoth that haunts you over the years. And you can sing along to it like crazy.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 8:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Shaktar is easily in the top 5 of lyrics Joe ever wrote and it's a towering, moody behemoth that haunts you over the years. And you can sing along to it like crazy.
I'm not inclined to say top 5, but I'll definitely agree to the lyrics being strong (and, like "Beyond the Pale," unfortunately especially relevant, so it does earn extra value in that regard). Musically, tho, it just doesn't go anywhere for me. Moody, definitely, but it also feels plodding. Which may be evocative and perhaps even appropriate for the lyrics, but it crosses that line into tediousness for me. All of which is to say that I think it has definite merits—its lyrics and Joe's voice—but it just doesn't seem as obvious a pick as its advocates would have it.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 8:30pm
Flex wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 8:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm not inclined to say top 5, but I'll definitely agree to the lyrics being strong (and, like "Beyond the Pale," unfortunately especially relevant, so it does earn extra value in that regard). Musically, tho, it just doesn't go anywhere for me. Moody, definitely, but it also feels plodding. Which may be evocative and perhaps even appropriate for the lyrics, but it crosses that line into tediousness for me. All of which is to say that I think it has definite merits—its lyrics and Joe's voice—but it just doesn't seem as obvious a pick as its advocates would have it.
Yep have to agree lyrics better than the song but I still like it.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's long but it creates an ethereal quality - I'd like it to Desolation Row by Bob in that sense, but Shaktar is more directly lyrically biting and musically denser. It's like a talking folk blues that got mutated in a post-4AD world.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 9:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's long but it creates an ethereal quality - I'd like it to Desolation Row by Bob in that sense, but Shaktar is more directly lyrically biting and musically denser. It's like a talking folk blues that got mutated in a post-4AD world.
I don't hear ethereal, but you're right in suggesting a mutant talking folk blues. The album is as folk as Joe ever got, I'd say, especially musically. (The Go-Go in the title is either odd or a gag, as it's a consciously hip term.) But I think this does suggest that you believe the music has a certain hypnotic quality. Fair enough, I can see that intent on the record even if it doesn't mesmerize me.