ROUND 7 - Earthquake Weather, Side 2

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!

Vote for the song you like LEAST

Poll ended at 04 Jul 2019, 12:32pm

Leopardskin Limousines
12%
Sikorsky Parts
No votes
Jewellers & Bums
47%
Highway One Zero Street
6%
Ride Your Donkey
29%
Passport to Detroit
6%
Sleepwalk
No votes

Total votes: 17

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Re: ROUND 7 - Earthquake Weather, Side 2

Post by drowninghere »

Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 6:40pm
drowninghere wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 6:16pm
101Walterton wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 5:55pm
matedog wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 5:24pm
Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 1:26pm

Yup.
It's the only song on the side that I know what it sounds like without listening to it.
This.
Seems like the song of choice for people who don't like the album.
i've given the album so many chances, more than it deserves.

The only songs I really like are Shouting St, Island Hopping, Ride Your Donkey and Sleepwalk. King of the Bayou and Gangsterville are ok. The rest are just rambling mush to me.
To each their own, I don't particularly like Shouting Street, and I really don't like Ride Your Donkey. On the other hand, I like Gangsterville, King of the Bayou, Island Hopping, Leopardskin Limousines, Jewellers & Bums, Passport to Detroit and Sleepwalk a lot. But what I really don't get is thinking Nefertiti Rock is great, but not Gangersterville, or digging Techno D-Day but not Passport to Detroit, or Mondo Bongo, but not Sleepwalk. I just don't see the disparity at all.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

drowninghere wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 6:59pm
Heston wrote:
drowninghere wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
matedog wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 5:24pm

It's the only song on the side that I know what it sounds like without listening to it.
This.

The only songs I really like are Shouting St, Island Hopping, Ride Your Donkey and Sleepwalk. King of the Bayou and Gangsterville are ok. The rest are just rambling mush to me.
To each their own, I don't particularly like Shouting Street, and I really don't like Ride Your Donkey. On the other hand, I like Gangsterville, King of the Bayou, Island Hopping, Leopardskin Limousines, Jewellers & Bums, Passport to Detroit and Sleepwalk a lot. But what I really don't get is thinking Nefertiti Rock is great, but not Gangersterville, or digging Techno D-Day but not Passport to Detroit, or Mondo Bongo, but not Sleepwalk. I just don't see the disparity at all.
It's melody thing with me. I love Joe when he has a good, strong tune to work with. Some of his post-Clash stuff just seems to meander a bit, no real hooks, just a vibe. I can understand why others might dig that, just not for me I suppose.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 7:08pm
drowninghere wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 6:59pm
Heston wrote:
drowninghere wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

This.

It's melody thing with me. I love Joe when he has a good, strong tune to work with. Some of his post-Clash stuff just seems to meander a bit, no real hooks, just a vibe. I can understand why others might dig that, just not for me I suppose.
I like the vibe when I’m listening, but it’s too murky to stick with me when it’s not playing. I remember most of the Meskies jams, but not this.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Like Heston, the only record given more chances than EW is CTC!!!
I like SS, IH and G but apart from Ride Your Donkey I cant remember how any of the other tracks go. Lack of hooks (melody) must be the answer.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 9:53pm
I like SS, IH and G but apart from Ride Your Donkey I cant remember how any of the other tracks go. Lack of hooks (melody) must be the answer.
Sorry, but your melody argument loses all credibility if you prefer Ride Your Donkey over this gem. Here's a reminder of how it goes ;) :

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

drowninghere wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 10:32pm
101Walterton wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 9:53pm
Sorry, but your melody argument loses all credibility if you prefer Ride Your Donkey over this gem. Here's a reminder of how it goes ;) :

The only thing that reminded me was that we didn’t include No Reason in the ‘extras’ poll!!!