ROUND 12 - Global A Go-Go - SEMIFINAL

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!

Vote for the song you like LEAST

Poll ended at 09 Jul 2019, 12:12pm

Bhindi Bhagee
39%
Bummed Out City
61%

Total votes: 18

msza2
Junco Partner

Re: ROUND 12 - Global A Go-Go - SEMIFINAL

Post by msza2 »

Flex wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 3:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 3:09pm
I agree in a larger sense—that "savvy cynicism" is its own kind of cosmopolitan smugness—but it's not unfair to be skeptical of shallow cultural dabbling, especially if it's just about status (being hipper than thou). It's not what Joe was trying to convey, obviously, but it's not hard to read those words coming from, as Hoy said, "college dipshits."
I was just thinking on this - and the parallel with "would have voted for Obama for a third term" Get Out family - what I think is missing from the criticism of the song is thinking about the class interests that go into the proverbial cultural tourism. Is this about genuine appreciation for cultural diversity - clumsy or not - or is it about using culture as a tool to mask a person's class interest in decimating said cultural diversity. That's what grates about a certain kind of person that, presumably, Hoy is thinking of - they're the kinds of folks who claim to want to live in a diverse neighborhood but support policies that lead to gentrification, for example.

I have a hard time finding an expression of that hostile class interest in BB, and I think it was Wally who mentioned Joe would be lamenting the gentrification that has come to his beloved neighborhood.
The problem I have with the 'college dipshits' argument is that it seems to be conditionally applied to 'Old Joe.' He actually was a 'college dipshit' in the 1970s and no one seemed to mind.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree in a larger sense—that "savvy cynicism" is its own kind of cosmopolitan smugness—but it's not unfair to be skeptical of shallow cultural dabbling, especially if it's just about status (being hipper than thou). It's not what Joe was trying to convey, obviously, but it's not hard to read those words coming from, as Hoy said, "college dipshits."
I was just thinking on this - and the parallel with "would have voted for Obama for a third term" Get Out family - what I think is missing from the criticism of the song is thinking about the class interests that go into the proverbial cultural tourism. Is this about genuine appreciation for cultural diversity - clumsy or not - or is it about using culture as a tool to mask a person's class interest in decimating said cultural diversity. That's what grates about a certain kind of person that, presumably, Hoy is thinking of - they're the kinds of folks who claim to want to live in a diverse neighborhood but support policies that lead to gentrification, for example.

I have a hard time finding an expression of that hostile class interest in BB, and I think it was Wally who mentioned Joe would be lamenting the gentrification that has come to his beloved neighborhood.
Certainly and I agree with everything you say in terms of what Joe intended. But, if you wanted to, you could read the song as satirical and turn it into the shallow mouthings of those liberal gentrifiers, particularly a real estate agent. Oh, you'll love it here, it's got all kinds of exotic flavour for you. People who just want to be able to say they live somewhere multicultural trendy for the status. There's just so much in the lyrics that it can be read as phony over-the-top salesmanship. Like where he talks about the kind of music you'll hear in the neighbourhood. It reminds me of people, when asked what they like, they say, "Oh, I like all kinds of music!" But if nailed down, it ends up pretty pedestrian. Joe is sincere but not everyone else is.

This openendedness to the song actually makes me appreciate it more—which has been the great thing about the survivor rounds—even if the one interpretation makes it more unflattering. Because it evokes feelings of genuine appreciation for diversity and respect, but also because, however unintentionally, it evokes criticism of phony commitment to diversity.

edit: In the end, Hoy's snarky dissent, I think, should be commended rather than derided because it does open things up.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Who knew fatherhood was going to make Hoy so bitter?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 6:39pm
Fathers everywhere.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 6:58pm
Kory wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 6:39pm
Fathers everywhere.
A+++++
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 3:43pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Certainly and I agree with everything you say in terms of what Joe intended. But, if you wanted to, you could read the song as satirical and turn it into the shallow mouthings of those liberal gentrifiers, particularly a real estate agent. Oh, you'll love it here, it's got all kinds of exotic flavour for you. People who just want to be able to say they live somewhere multicultural trendy for the status. There's just so much in the lyrics that it can be read as phony over-the-top salesmanship. Like where he talks about the kind of music you'll hear in the neighbourhood. It reminds me of people, when asked what they like, they say, "Oh, I like all kinds of music!" But if nailed down, it ends up pretty pedestrian. Joe is sincere but not everyone else is.

This openendedness to the song actually makes me appreciate it more—which has been the great thing about the survivor rounds—even if the one interpretation makes it more unflattering. Because it evokes feelings of genuine appreciation for diversity and respect, but also because, however unintentionally, it evokes criticism of phony commitment to diversity.

edit: In the end, Hoy's snarky dissent, I think, should be commended rather than derided because it does open things up.
agree that the lyrics in BB are awkward but the non cynic delivery makes up for it. saw it as an updated shouting street.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

ohsoso wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 10:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 3:43pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

agree that the lyrics in BB are awkward but the non cynic delivery makes up for it. saw it as an updated shouting street.
To me, the line "welcome stranger, to the humble neighborhoods" completely torpedoes any negative interpretation of the song.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc