ROUND 15 - THE FINALS - I

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!

Vote for the song you like LEAST

Poll ended at 12 Jul 2019, 10:28am

Keys To Your Heart (Chiswick Single Version)
9%
Trash City
5%
Island Hopping
27%
It's a Rockin' World
27%
Yalla Yalla
5%
Bhindee Bhagee
9%
Get Down Moses
No votes
Minstrel Boy (Vocal Version)
18%

Total votes: 22

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: ROUND 15 - THE FINALS - I

Post by Heston »

msza2 wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 1:14pm
Flex wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 5:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 3:35pm
IH and MB are the only ones that stick out to me as not really worth serious consideration. All told, I think the group did a solid job in confirming the cream.
While the format plays it's tricks, MB and IH may not be worth serious consideration (although, subjectively speaking, I strongly disagree with that assertion) but it's not clear to me that they kingslayed anything more worthy from contention. EW and the Meskie's non-album tracks were both pretty scattershot affairs - even more so than something like Cut the Crap, as it turns out. It's a limitation of the format (I suppose), but it shouldn't really functionally prevent the best 3-5 songs from rising to the top.

In the end, i think every entry here is among Joe's best (even if not each one was my personal fave), so I have no complaints.

the HUGE limitation I see is that this format didn't allow Coma Girl to compete in the finals, since I think it could have finished second or third in voting despite losing by a few votes to GDM. Not sure any other songs have really been denied a shot at glory like that.

Or, GDM gets bounced in a few rounds and I revise that position, but given its traction I think GDM is going all the way.
Good point but I think Johnny Appleseed should be there, and definitely, definitely something from Walker.
Yes, Unknown Immortal (one of Joe's true classics) and Johnny Appleseed would have brightened this line-up.

If Get Down Moses wins I will rest my case about Joe's underperforming solo career.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 8:54pm
If Get Down Moses wins I will rest my case about Joe's underperforming solo career.
I'm not sure you actually want to go to the jury with that argument, unless you don't care about your client ever seeing daylight again.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 9:01pm
Heston wrote:
I'm not sure you actually want to go to the jury with that argument, unless you don't care about your client ever seeing daylight again.
I'm gonna have to return to it yet again and try and work out what I'm missing.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Looks like 2 of my top 3 at this stage have just gone out. I can only hope for a Bhindi Bhagee or Keys To Your Heart victory now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 9:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Don't know what else I can add to what I said before. It's smooth, it's commanding and dramatic, it's hectoring yet cool, Joe's raspy voice is perfectly suited an Old Testament prophet. It just fucking grooves, man.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 9:20pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Don't know what else I can add to what I said before. It's smooth, it's commanding and dramatic, it's hectoring yet cool, Joe's raspy voice is perfectly suited an Old Testament prophet. It just fucking grooves, man.
I know I’m in the minority on this, but it’s an all time banger and I’d put it above pretty much every BAD song, except maybe a handful.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 9:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
I know I’m in the minority on this, but it’s an all time banger and I’d put it above pretty much every BAD song, except maybe a handful.
So, in other words, a handful of BAD songs are better than Joe's best song?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 9:28pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I was being generous.

It’s probsbly better than every BAD song because BAD is vastly overrated by this board.

But I didn’t want to get into a fight about it, because people here are touchy about that.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 9:32pm
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

I was being generous.

It’s probsbly better than every BAD song because BAD is vastly overrated by this board.

But I didn’t want to get into a fight about it, because people here are touchy about that.
Got your back :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

As a body of work, I'll stand up for Mick compared to Joe, but GDM stands as tall as Mick's best. It's not a case of raw hierarchy, but of those songs by each guy where you think, “Yeah, they showed off their strengths and demonstrated why they mean something to us.”

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 9:32pm
Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

I was being generous.

I'm not touchy myself, and can understand why BAD may not appeal to some. All I can do is give my honest opinion about Joe's music. I can't dress up my slight disappointment with his solo career, I can only tell it like it is for me.