New strummer release 2020

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
drugstabbingmime
Corner Soul

New strummer release 2020

Post by drugstabbingmime »

Anybody heard anything more about today’s post on the official joe strummer Instagram? It’s the picture from 001 with the caption “new joe strummer music and releases coming in 2020 on dark horse records.”
What do you think they have? Live meskies?

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: New strummer release 2020

Post by laxman »

https://www.1051wrfs.com/2020/01/24/geo ... e-records/

"Over 45 years after George Harrison first started the Dark Horse Records imprint, the label has a new lease on life. Dark Horse, now headed up by Harrison's son Dhani Harrison and manager David Zonshine, has announced a new multi-faceted global partnership with BMG. The agreement initially brings releases from the acclaimed catalog of Dark Horse Records and his Indian label imprint HariSongs, as well as Joe Strummer’s solo catalog, including his works alongside the Mescaleros."

"Available today (January 24th) on all digital platforms, the first slate of releases includes the George Harrison produced Ravi Shankar's Chants Of India; Ravi Shankar & Ali Akbar Khan In Concert 1972; and Attitudes – Ain't Love Enough: The Best Of The Attitudes. New titles on Dark Horse includes Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros’ albums Rock Art And The X-Ray Style, Global A Go-Go, and Streetcore. Upcoming releases in 2020 include compilations, live albums, and box sets featuring rare and unreleased recordings from the Dark Horse label — many of which will be made available digitally for the first time ever."

Not sure whether the final comments refer to Joe Strummer or to other bands.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Cool. This is a different label than the one that did 001. Not sure what to expect.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I hope we get a 002 and 003 etc rather than re-releases of the Meskies albums. More 1983 and 1984 stuff please.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

What a weird development. Dark Horse wanting to expand their roster is interesting, but Joe's back catalogue, of all things? Not an obvious connection to me, although I'm sure it'll work out OK. Dhani Harrison always seemed like a genuine music fan, rather than a corporate suit.
Mind you the instagram message sounds promising, mentioning 'new joe strummer music'
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I tried to buy this on eBay a few days ago. Only to have my payment returned and told it was already sold. I had never seen it before and just wondering was this a planned release at one point.
Attachments
20200121_203443.png
20200121_203443.png (791.01 KiB) Viewed 8474 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I had a look on the Clash City Collectors Facebook page. It just says it is a US promo, so presumably not planned as a single, just as a promotion of the album?

Why would the same track be on there twice?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 4:29pm
I had a look on the Clash City Collectors Facebook page. It just says it is a US promo, so presumably not planned as a single, just as a promotion of the album?

Yep same track same length very strange.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 5:39pm
laxman wrote:

Misprint?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 8:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

Misprint?
Well without having the physical item who knows. But being optimistic I would love it to be either as you say a misprint of possibly a longer version or a radio edit or even an instrumental version. Someone somewhere must have it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 5:33am
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

Misprint?
Well without having the physical item who knows. But being optimistic I would love it to be either as you say a misprint of possibly a longer version or a radio edit or even an instrumental version. Someone somewhere must have it.
I have been tempted to buy this but I think it was going for £30? so I haven't bothered.
Joining the Street Parade

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

deny wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 5:57am
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 5:33am
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:

Misprint?
I have been tempted to buy this but I think it was going for £30? so I haven't bothered.
Yep I paid £29.00 before my payment was returned.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 5:04pm
Cool. This is a different label than the one that did 001. Not sure what to expect.
If it’s 002, I hope Peter J. Moore doesn’t master it like he did on 001. I think he did a fine job of restoring tracks on 001, but a poor job mastering them. IMO, they are too loud/brickwalled to the point of distortion, most noticeable (w/o even wearing headphones) on “Trash City” and “Coma Girl.”

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 7:20pm
matedog wrote:
If it’s 002, I hope Peter J. Moore doesn’t master it like he did on 001. I think he did a fine job of restoring tracks on 001, but a poor job mastering them. IMO, they are too loud/brickwalled to the point of distortion, most noticeable (w/o even wearing headphones) on “Trash City” and “Coma Girl.”
Agreed ...But then I know this bloke who can sort out these problems. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 7:38am
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 7:20pm
matedog wrote:
Agreed ...But then I know this bloke who can sort out these problems. ;)
Indeed!