A Song For Joe

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: A Song For Joe

Post by JennyB »

Heston wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 4:02pm
Right, I don't like this version at all. Who's Butch Walker?
Worst of the event. I really loved Frank Turner's WMIHP and thought Lucinda Williams did a crackin' STH. I also loved the sleazy TIV.

I thought Bob Weir was never going to shut up.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 5:39pm
101Walterton wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 5:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 4:09pm
Nice to see Ray Gange he's a solid geezer.
What was Ray doing?
Just talking about Joe. He does seem to be a nice fella, and overcame his heroin problem just as well as Topper it seems.
Surprised he hasn’t written a book it would be an interesting perspective.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JennyB wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 6:06pm
Heston wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 4:02pm
Right, I don't like this version at all. Who's Butch Walker?
Worst of the event. I really loved Frank Turner's WMIHP and thought Lucinda Williams did a crackin' STH. I also loved the sleazy TIV.

I thought Bob Weir was never going to shut up.
Charlie Don't Surf was worst for me. How this bunch of basically incompetent amateurs got on this broadcast is a mystery to me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Tom Morello was worst for me and guy that did Police & Thieves (from the strokes maybe?). Not terrible, just a bit on the meh side for me.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Phew, Bruce didn't perform.

Loved that Mescaleros clip.
Interrupters were great too.
Tweedy was fine and Morello was trying too hard once again.
I liked Armisen's story and air drumming.
Malin was fine, but his vocals were trying too hard as well.
Hinds was endearing.
Craig Finn (w/Tad, basically half of Hold Steady) sounded about as good as he ever has, vocally speaking. That being said, their strength is a rip roaring club rock band, but this was good. I like the Constructive Summer snippet.
Jesse Dayton - Nice to get something with drums for the first time in awhile. This was good, not great.
Joe Ely was great.
Brian Fallon was good. Again lots of slower acoustic numbers, but at least this was a lesser known song. Fallon has a stronger voice than a lot of the other performers.
Cherry Glazer - Oof this could have used better audio recording. Sounds like they didn't rehearse this one much.
Dropkick Murphys - kudos for even the singer wearing a mask. They tried hard, A for effort and picking a not easy song to do basically acoustic.
Strokes guy that's not the singer - a proper street performance. He's still not particularly good.
Butch Walker - nah
Josh Homme/sorta QOTSA - kinda liked the drum machine and the energy was good, but yeah, this didn't make the most sense.
Frank Turner - another slow acoustic arrangement, but nice and soulful.
Josh Klinging-used to be in RHCP - Great guitar work, but as others said, vocals lacking.
Lyza Jane and CC Adcock - Don't know these two, but this was really good. One of the highlights for me.
Lucinda Williams - Great arrangement. Lucinda sounded good. Another highlight.
Dave Hause - Good, solid.
Gogol guy - cool to hear an original.
Bob Weir/Jesse Malin - I liked Bob Weir. Still not a fan of Malin's voice.

All in all, really well done and a great mix of old school establishment and old school punk scene people with a few new schoolers.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Overall, I enjoyed the music. Homme’s TIV was terrible, and the drum machine sounded distorted.

I enjoyed the stories the most.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Was it mainly covers of Meskies?

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 2:03am
Was it mainly covers of Meskies?
Nearly half and half but mostly Clash I'd say.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 1:07am

Hinds was endearing.
Craig Finn (w/Tad, basically half of Hold Steady) sounded about as good as he ever has, vocally speaking. That being said, their strength is a rip roaring club rock band, but this was good. I like the Constructive Summer snippet.
Jesse Dayton - Nice to get something with drums for the first time in awhile. This was good, not great.
Joe Ely was great.
Brian Fallon was good. Again lots of slower acoustic numbers, but at least this was a lesser known song. Fallon has a stronger voice than a lot of the other performers.
Cherry Glazer - Oof this could have used better audio recording. Sounds like they didn't rehearse this one much.
Dropkick Murphys - kudos for even the singer wearing a mask. They tried hard, A for effort and picking a not easy song to do basically acoustic.
Strokes guy that's not the singer - a proper street performance. He's still not particularly good.
Butch Walker - nah
Josh Homme/sorta QOTSA - kinda liked the drum machine and the energy was good, but yeah, this didn't make the most sense.
Josh Klinging-used to be in RHCP - Great guitar work, but as others said, vocals lacking.
Lyza Jane and CC Adcock - Don't know these two, but this was really good. One of the highlights for me.

All in all, really well done and a great mix of old school establishment and old school punk scene people with a few new schoolers.
A better audio recording would have brought into even sharper relief how terrible they were. They have to be some relations of the producer maybe, I can't work out how something so terrible could get such a high profile slot.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 2:40am
matedog wrote:

Hinds was endearing.
Joe Ely was great.
Butch Walker - nah

A better audio recording would have brought into even sharper relief how terrible they were. They have to be some relations of the producer maybe, I can't work out how something so terrible could get such a high profile slot.
At least they didn't bail out like our beloved Bruce.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

drugstabbingmime
Corner Soul

Post by drugstabbingmime »

matedog wrote:

Hinds was endearing.
Joe Ely was great.
Butch Walker - nah

Lyza Jane is joe's stepdaughter. She puts out some quality hip hop imo.

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by aza »

that was really cool. The new footage obv the highlight, but Lucinda Williams STH was transcendent.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

chocolatejesus wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 4:41pm
thats the guy from gogol bordello, actually a very fun band to catch live.

I just started watching - did I miss something?
Gogol Bordello are a fun band. Eugene is a great frontman.

Fun fact he spent several of his formative years in Burlington Vermont before moving to NYC and forming GB. He used to work at the main record shop in town.

So I missed this live, is it available on the internet somewhere?

Answer to my question

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 2:37pm
chocolatejesus wrote:

Fun fact he spent several of his formative years in Burlington Vermont before moving to NYC and forming GB. He used to work at the main record shop in town.

Answer to my question
I thought the Gogol Bordello bloke song was pretty wretched myself. Not sure if I'm missing something but they do nothing for me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 2:52pm
revbob wrote:
23 Aug 2020, 2:37pm
chocolatejesus wrote:

Answer to my question
I thought the Gogol Bordello bloke song was pretty wretched myself. Not sure if I'm missing something but they do nothing for me.
I haven't watched this specific performance so cant comment.