Earthquake Weather LP

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Earthquake Weather LP

Post by Inder »

I've always thought Joe's singing sounds really thin/uncommitted on EW. Some of that's probably the mix, but he sounds very un-Joe even through the LRW shows.

Compare (and I'm sorry to have to do this to everyone) to the CII shows from just a few years earlier and even Cut the Crap — which, despite being balls, has some great vocal performances.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 10:04am
I would be keeping Dizzys Goatee personally. Probably in a minority but i totally love that track.
Also Sikorsky Parts.

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

There's a reference in the Redemption Song biography about Joe's vocals during this time. That he was struggling with his voice and confidence. Maybe not the best time to record a solo album.

The list I made was trying to avoid as much Zander electric guitar as possible. There are better songs on EW, they are just ruined by the continued soloing and slap funk bass.

Its weird that Joe references Paul Simon and the Graceland album during interviews in this time. Was he going for a Pino Palladino bass sound! The songs would have been served better, sounding more like a Latino garage band less Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Telecaster wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 3:45pm
There's a reference in the Redemption Song biography about Joe's vocals during this time. That he was struggling with his voice and confidence. Maybe not the best time to record a solo album.

The list I made was trying to avoid as much Zander electric guitar as possible. There are better songs on EW, they are just ruined by the continued soloing and slap funk bass.

Its weird that Joe references Paul Simon and the Graceland album during interviews in this time. Was he going for a Pino Palladino bass sound! The songs would have been served better, sounding more like a Latino garage band less Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
He'd been off the road for a while. It is easy for a voice to get out of shape.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 3:31pm
I've always thought Joe's singing sounds really thin/uncommitted on EW. Some of that's probably the mix, but he sounds very un-Joe even through the LRW shows.

Compare (and I'm sorry to have to do this to everyone) to the CII shows from just a few years earlier and even Cut the Crap — which, despite being balls, has some great vocal performances.
Joe's voice was really good on CtC agreed. On EW it does sound like the Joe we knew was almost trying to not sound like himself.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 4:29pm
Inder wrote:

Joe's voice was really good on CtC agreed. On EW it does sound like the Joe we knew was almost trying to not sound like himself.
Now I've heard Gerald's reboot, I have the maybe controversial opinion that CTC had Joe's most consistently good vocals across a Clash album. Shame about a lot of the material though.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 4:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:

Now I've heard Gerald's reboot, I have the maybe controversial opinion that CTC had Joe's most consistently good vocals across a Clash album. Shame about a lot of the material though.
Difficult to really tell as the vocal extraction by the software isn't as clean as I personally would like. Then hearing them in isolation against say those on LC.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 5:19pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:

Difficult to really tell as the vocal extraction by the software isn't as clean as I personally would like. Then hearing them in isolation against say those on LC.
I get your point about the extraction quality, but using CTC as a reference I can bet my life they would sound great in isolation. The diction is there as well as a more controlled power. Combat Rock had a couple of what I consider weak vocal performances from Joe. Atom Tan, Overpowered By Funk and Death Is a Star are all below par for me. Probably Know Your Rights too if you compare to live.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 5:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 5:19pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Inder wrote:

I get your point about the extraction quality, but using CTC as a reference I can bet my life they would sound great in isolation. The diction is there as well as a more controlled power. Combat Rock had a couple of what I consider weak vocal performances from Joe. Atom Tan, Overpowered By Funk and Death Is a Star are all below par for me. Probably Know Your Rights too if you compare to live.
Joe certainly is in good vocal form on CtC. One of it's small saving graces.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I’ve always loved Leopardskin Limousines. It has such a hazy-day mirage feel to it. Absolutely beautiful, just a quiet, soulful lullaby. Like sitting under palm trees with a cool drink and watching the sun set at the end of a hot day, while dream-like image fragments from a lifetime of road trips flicker by. It’s on par with Sleepwalk for me, almost its twin. Those two, along with Island Hopping and Ride Your Donkey, are the EW tracks I find myself playing the most.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kimmelweck wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 6:44pm
I’ve always loved Leopardskin Limousines. It has such a hazy-day mirage feel to it. Absolutely beautiful, just a quiet, soulful lullaby. Like sitting under palm trees with a cool drink and watching the sun set at the end of a hot day, while dream-like image fragments from a lifetime of road trips flicker by. It’s on par with Sleepwalk for me, almost its twin. Those two, along with Island Hopping and Ride Your Donkey, are the EW tracks I find myself playing the most.
Ride Your Donkey is a brilliant cover, my favourite Joe vocal on the album.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Heston wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 6:55pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 6:44pm
Ride Your Donkey is a brilliant cover, my favourite Joe vocal on the album.
I agree. Great cover and great vocal by Joe. Got in on repeat right now. :mrgreen:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

Shouting Street is my favorite. Boogie, I can’t stand and Gangsterville is the most frustrating. I don’t have a “good ear” or rhythm (lol) but that song, to me, just bounces all over the place like it’s multiple songs edited together. Joe’s lyrics are way too busy for my liking.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

JChampion wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 11:02pm
Shouting Street is my favorite. Boogie, I can’t stand and Gangsterville is the most frustrating. I don’t have a “good ear” or rhythm (lol) but that song, to me, just bounces all over the place like it’s multiple songs edited together. Joe’s lyrics are way too busy for my liking.
Gangsterville is one of my favorite tracks on Earthquake Weather. I liked the tempo changes when I first heard it. Two of my favorite bands around 1989 (The Fall, Salem 66) had a some songs with similar arrangements. I do think Zanders guitar solo is too busy though.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Really like Gangsterville as well. But also like most of the album just fine. Favourites would be Leopardskin Limousines, Sleepwalk and King of the Bayou (just a great song melodically and lyrically, imo). Least favourites would be Boogie, Shouting Street, Ride the Donkey and Sikorsky Parts, which are some people's faves. I also think the lyrics are mostly interesting and fun. Different strokes for different folks.

Rushing through the rush hour on an all-nighter / Never seen you look so young
The world really looks from this donut store / Such a funny colour in the sun