Dark Horse releases - 'Assembly' 2LP

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Dark Horse releases - 'Assembly' 2LP

Post by JohnS »

Dark Horse are re-releasing the Mescaleros albums as downloads tomorrow...

https://www.joestrummer.com/news/new-jo ... se-records

..and there's a new compilation 'Assembly' out in March:

https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/Assembl ... urce=Email

Hints of more stuff to come, hopefully.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Dark Horse releases - 'Assembly' 2LP

Post by Heston »

I hope this doesn't mean 002 is dead in the water. I was looking forward to more rarities.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Heston wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 1:09pm
I hope this doesn't mean 002 is dead in the water. I was looking forward to more rarities.
I take it the two live tracks are from Acton Town Hall, which leaves the acoustic version of Junco Partner as the only rare track here. I'm with you, I was looking forward to more.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

"new music and releases coming later in the year."

So looks like there will be more. Just hope when they say "new", they really do literally mean "new".

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I'm guessing the Junco Partner version is from the Give Em the Boot Hellcat compilation?

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 2:42pm

So looks like there will be more. Just hope when they say "new", they really do literally mean "new".
Looks like that article was actually January 2020.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

laxman wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 2:45pm
Low Down Low wrote:

Released Friday January 24th :huh:

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

white man wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 4:17pm
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Released Friday January 24th :huh:
Exactly; from the olden days, when we were still allowed to go out!

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Interesting news. I always enjoy seeing which songs different people chose for a greatest hits tracklist. I'd say they pretty much nailed the Meskies material. My one quibble would be the omission of the song Global A Go Go. Love the inclusion of live Rudie also. I would have swapped out IFTL for White Man.

The solo material is a bit more confounding. Sleepwalk over Island Hopping!? Love Kills over anything? I really don't get the love for that one. But overall I think the compilation serves his legacy well.

Heston

Post by Heston »

msza2 wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 4:37pm
Interesting news. I always enjoy seeing which songs different people chose for a greatest hits tracklist. I'd say they pretty much nailed the Meskies material. My one quibble would be the omission of the song Global A Go Go. Love the inclusion of live Rudie also. I would have swapped out IFTL for White Man.

The solo material is a bit more confounding. Sleepwalk over Island Hopping!? Love Kills over anything? I really don't get the love for that one. But overall I think the compilation serves his legacy well.
Sleepwalk could be really great with the right mix. It is probably the murkiest recording I've ever heard. Shouting Street would have been my pick from Earthquake Weather.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Ah yeah....missed that. And the comp is probably the "new" material they was referring to. I like the cover on it anyway.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Heston wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 5:42pm
msza2 wrote:

Sleepwalk could be really great with the right mix. It is probably the murkiest recording I've ever heard. Shouting Street would have been my pick from Earthquake Weather.
Shouting Street is a great one. Something about the LRW arrangement feels like it misses the boat for me. Island Hopping is the only song on that album that actually feels like it has reached it's potential to my ears. I guess Ride Your Donkey is there too.

Heston

Post by Heston »

msza2 wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 7:15pm
Heston wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 5:42pm
msza2 wrote:

Shouting Street is a great one. Something about the LRW arrangement feels like it misses the boat for me. Island Hopping is the only song on that album that actually feels like it has reached it's potential to my ears. I guess Ride Your Donkey is there too.
I'm in general agreement. The only tracks I really listen to on the album are Shouting Street, Island Hopping, Sleepwalk and Ride Your Donkey. Maybe King of the Bayou.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Wasn't Shouting Street meant to be the next Clash single after SIS0SIG.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

white man wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 9:43pm
Wasn't Shouting Street meant to be the next Clash single after SIS0SIG.
Post ctc.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/