Joe Strummer and the Latino Rockabilly War 1989-11-17 I-Beam San Francisco CA (1648 original DAT master, new version)

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Charlie Dont Surf
Long Time Jerk

Joe Strummer and the Latino Rockabilly War 1989-11-17 I-Beam San Francisco CA (1648 original DAT master, new version)

Post by Charlie Dont Surf »

Picked this up recently, info below from the taper if you want to grab a copy

This is a new archival version of my original DAT master. I first shared this is 2005. That version was ripped from CDr's I had mastered previously. It had a sample rate conversion and manipulations in software like level adjustments along with extraction from the CDr's. Technically that should all be fine but I've since come to prefer the unmanipulated data the DAT captured from the ADC in the deck, as long as there aren't problems that would diminish the listening experience. The difference is quite subtle although some would disagree that there's any difference, but by providing the raw DAT they have the opportunity to level adjust and process all they want. The imperfections of this are minor.

Joe Strummer and the Latino Rockabilly War

The I-Beam
San Francisco CA
1989-11-17

Audio Technica AT 853 > Panasonic SV-250 DAT (internal A D conversion, 16 bit 48k sample rate)

Panasonic 3800 > Weiss INT 203 > OSX Peak Pro 7 > xACT

Archival version. This is a raw 16 bit 48kHz DAT digital copy with song tracking. No edits, adjustments or processing of any kind.(the recorder was paused just once between the set and encore)

01. intro
02. Trash City
03. Dum Dum Club
04. Sightsee M.C!
05. Armageddon Time
06. Gangsterville
07. Sikorsky Parts
08. Tropic of No Return
09. Jewelers & Bums
10. City of the Dead
11. Sleepwalk
12. The Magnificent Seven
13. Dizzy’s Goatee
14. Police and Thieves
15. Keys To Your Heart
16. Ride Your Donkey
17. Shouting Street
18. What’s My Name
19. Pressure Drop
20. London Calling
21. Island Hopping
22. Straight To Hell
23. Brand New Cadillac
24. I Fought the Law

https://we.tl/t-ptpoK2XeJD

CDS
Someday you'll meet your rockin chair, Cause that's where we're spinnin
There's no point to want to comb your hair, When its grey and thinin

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Joe Strummer and the Latino Rockabilly War 1989-11-17 I-Beam San Francisco CA (1648 original DAT master, new version

Post by Silent Majority »

Thank you. Love these setlists.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Joe Strummer and the Latino Rockabilly War 1989-11-17 I-Beam San Francisco CA (1648 original DAT master, new version

Post by Flex »

Awesome, thank you! Agree with Maj, great setlist. I really enjoyed Joe's rockabilly war live setlists
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Thank you. Looks like an interesting set list.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Set list looks pretty interesting, thanks for sharing this.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

What a fucking kick ass version of Dum Dum Club. Recorded with this venom it should have been Joe's comeback single.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

What a lovely rendition of Sleepwalk. That song could have been a contender with the murkiness stripped away.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Thanks for doing this!

Heston

Post by Heston »

The sound really settles down after the first couple of songs, the bass is is insanely loud at the beginning. Really enjoying this, cheers.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Found a poster for the show.
Attachments
I-Beam 1989.jpg
I-Beam 1989.jpg (405.36 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston

Post by Heston »

Great version of Island Hopping and love Joe leading the crowd into a quick rendition of Charlie Don't surf just before it.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Thank you, this is great. The 1989 shows have always seemed to be hard to come by for some reason, i really like that period.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 11:42am
Awesome, thank you! Agree with Maj, great setlist. I really enjoyed Joe's rockabilly war live setlists
That was going to be my take - such interesting set lists at the time.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

To think that for months I dreamt of being able to hear “Sleepwalk” live. Now it seems I can finally put my mind to rest. Thank you for the upload.

I just love the Latino Rockabilly War era
Do you mind if I upload the live sleepwalk to YouTube? It’s just such a rare song that wasn’t performed many times live.

Just noticed Joe mentions Jello Biafra before going into “Jewellers & Bums” (a massively overlooked EW song IMO)

Joe: “yeah, this one’s for the mayor of ‘Frisco Jello Biafra”

Charlie Dont Surf
Long Time Jerk

Post by Charlie Dont Surf »

TrashCityRocker wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 11:54pm
To think that for months I dreamt of being able to hear “Sleepwalk” live. Now it seems I can finally put my mind to rest. Thank you for the upload.

I just love the Latino Rockabilly War era
Do you mind if I upload the live sleepwalk to YouTube? It’s just such a rare song that wasn’t performed many times live.

Just noticed Joe mentions Jello Biafra before going into “Jewellers & Bums” (a massively overlooked EW song IMO)

Joe: “yeah, this one’s for the mayor of ‘Frisco Jello Biafra”
I didn't record the show, just had it sent to me and shared it.
I don't think there will be any problem posting anything to YouTube.
There is nothing in the info file about "Tapers Requests"
Normally they will put don't upload anywhere else etc. As there is nothing there, feel free to upload it.

Glad everyone is enjoying it.

CDS
Someday you'll meet your rockin chair, Cause that's where we're spinnin
There's no point to want to comb your hair, When its grey and thinin