101ers personnel

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
margaret45678
Corner Soul

101ers personnel

Post by margaret45678 »

Hiya, long time lurker first time poster here. Not sure if this is the right forum for this q but anyway, I'm wondering if there's a comprehensive list of people who played with the 101ers?
Specifically, according to one comment I've seen, Keith Allen's band the Atoms formed out of members of the 101ers and another pub rock group on the scene, but the credits on their record (see the picture below) don't match up to any list I've seen of people involved in the 101ers. Any insight on this? Is the comment I read (link here: https://www.kbdrecords.com/2009/07/13/t ... ment-21014) just bullshitting?
the_atoms_insert_1.jpeg
the_atoms_insert_1.jpeg (148.99 KiB) Viewed 2473 times

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: 101ers personnel

Post by Kory »

margaret45678 wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 12:26pm
Hiya, long time lurker first time poster here. Not sure if this is the right forum for this q but anyway, I'm wondering if there's a comprehensive list of people who played with the 101ers?
Specifically, according to one comment I've seen, Keith Allen's band the Atoms formed out of members of the 101ers and another pub rock group on the scene, but the credits on their record (see the picture below) don't match up to any list I've seen of people involved in the 101ers. Any insight on this? Is the comment I read (link here: https://www.kbdrecords.com/2009/07/13/t ... ment-21014) just bullshitting?
the_atoms_insert_1.jpeg
Hey welcome! The Wiki page seems to have a decent list of members, though it doesn't use that cool bar graph that a lot of articles have for this kind of thing (probably because they weren't together for too terribly long). I'm not seeing any crossover in any case. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_101ers#Band_line-up
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Just a bit of mix-up with Keith Allen since he was a Clash Pal, maybe?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Welcome. I don't have any good answer to your question, but I love your avatar.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

margaret45678
Corner Soul

Post by margaret45678 »

Flex wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 12:42pm
Just a bit of mix-up with Keith Allen since he was a Clash Pal, maybe?
Probably confusing it with "England's Irie" I suppose!

margaret45678
Corner Soul

Post by margaret45678 »

matedog wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 4:52pm
Welcome. I don't have any good answer to your question, but I love your avatar.
Cheers!! i'm a Topper stan ngl

margaret45678
Corner Soul

Post by margaret45678 »

Kory wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 12:41pm
margaret45678 wrote:
the_atoms_insert_1.jpeg
Hey welcome! The Wiki page seems to have a decent list of members, though it doesn't use that cool bar graph that a lot of articles have for this kind of thing (probably because they weren't together for too terribly long). I'm not seeing any crossover in any case. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_101ers#Band_line-up
Ah well right, so Clive Temperley was part of another group associated w/ the Derelicts and Barbara Gogan, maybe that's the connection? Seems the comment I read was definitely a bit off base but there might be something there

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dan Kelleher was in The Derelicts too. There are direct links between The Derelicts and both The Atoms and 101ers but not, apparently, between the Atoms and the 101ers. I bet if you dug deep down you'd find something as they were all pretty much fishing from the same pool.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

margaret45678 wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 11:05pm
Kory wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 12:41pm
margaret45678 wrote:
the_atoms_insert_1.jpeg
Ah well right, so Clive Temperley was part of another group associated w/ the Derelicts and Barbara Gogan, maybe that's the connection? Seems the comment I read was definitely a bit off base but there might be something there
I think around those days, everyone is connected to everybody else by at least a couple degrees :lol:
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Was just browsing a few pieces about the west London pub rock/squatting scene and i don't know why, but this quote from Barbara Gogan gave me a bit of a chuckle.

"Because of this (sexism in the London scene), we would get a room above a pub, charge 3 quid at the door, we made a living from gigging. And the 101'er's (Joe Strummer's pre-Clash band) were doing the same kind of thing. They were like our bratty kid brothers; they would follow us everywhere and steal our venues. At one point, I didn't speak to Strummer for two years, I was so mad at him and he was trying to nick our bass players as well. We all came out of West London pubs."