Arms Aloft In Acton Town

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Arms Aloft In Acton Town

Post by Sparky »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 1:42am
All true. Miraculous and devastating. I selfishly wish someone could have turned up the amp Mick plugged into.
I was wishing the same thing, I kept adjusting the sound on my headphones thinking I was missing something.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 1:42am
All true. Miraculous and devastating. I selfishly wish someone could have turned up the amp Mick plugged into.
It was a bit of a "Sweet Gene Vincent with the Blockheads" moment.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I believe MJ can be better heard in some of the audio tapes than in any of the video.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Just booked for me and our lass to go to this gig! Never seen any Clash related band and so this one is a must...worth the trip down from York. Fingers crossed a certain Mr Jones makes a suprise appearance but even if he doesn't it looks like a good lineup...will be doing the flipside tours Strummer walk too!

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

I already got a ticket for this. Hope to meet some of you guys!
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

geraldmanns wrote:
18 Sep 2022, 2:34pm
I already got a ticket for this. Hope to meet some of you guys!
Catch ya there! It's worked out to be one expensive trip but sometimes you gotta roll the dice!

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

Also decided to travel for this just in case Mick shows up as seeing him play is on my bucket list! Even if he doesn’t, I’m excited to spend some time in London and see the show.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Been a while but here's my report from the shenanigans

Headline is NO MICK, according to some folk I spoke to he's pretty much retired from live work all together. Which was a great shame as he was the main pull for me even though it was on a hope and a prayer he might be there.... however Tymon Dogg was fucking excellent and in great spirits. Glen Matlock was also there and played a great version of Submission with the Rotten hill gang, not kidding it was fucking excellent! Could be a great single...all the bands were great and the atmosphere was like if Joe was there with us. Lots of great clash posters up and the backdrop was a great portrait of the man himself looking down on is all. Met some great people, Leo Williams was in attendance and said he's willing to do future projects with Mick but the call hasn't yet come and Ray Gange was an absolute gent. All in all a great night in the smoke. Also before the gig we did the Strummer walking tour with Aiden of Flipside London tours...fucking amazing to see so many mythical clash places in such a small area (Ladbroke grove) basing st studios where they did give em enough rope was literally 3 or 4 doors down from the first house strummer bought although I think that was after the recording sessions. Also a location in hell W10 is the mother back cap from my favourite film withnail and I! I can HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS WALKING TOUR! Aiden is a top fella and didn't mind calling the Notting hill tourists cunts which for me is bonus!

Attached are the photos of our tickets and flyer signed to my little boy Charlie Clash from Tymon, Glen, Ray and Leo.
Attachments
IMG_20221121_202004336_HDR.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 1:42pm

Headline is NO MICK, according to some folk I spoke to he's pretty much retired from live work all together. Which was a great shame as he was the main pull for me even though it was on a hope and a prayer he might be there.... however Tymon Dogg was fucking excellent and in great spirits. Glen Matlock was also there and played a great version of Submission with the Rotten hill gang, not kidding it was fucking excellent! Could be a great single...all the bands were great and the atmosphere was like if Joe was there with us. Lots of great clash posters up and the backdrop was a great portrait of the man himself looking down on is all. Met some great people, Leo Williams was in attendance and said he's willing to do future projects with Mick but the call hasn't yet come and Ray Gange was an absolute gent. All in all a great night in the smoke. Also before the gig we did the Strummer walking tour with Aiden of Flipside London tours...fucking amazing to see so many mythical clash places in such a small area (Ladbroke grove) basing st studios where they did give em enough rope was literally 3 or 4 doors down from the first house strummer bought although I think that was after the recording sessions. Also a location in hell W10 is the mother back cap from my favourite film withnail and I! I can HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS WALKING TOUR! Aiden is a top fella and didn't mind calling the Notting hill tourists cunts which for me is bonus!

Attached are the photos of our tickets and flyer signed to my little boy Charlie Clash from Tymon, Glen, Ray and Leo.
😎

You missed the boat on "Sub-Mission". ;) with Cookie and Glen.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 02 Dec 2022, 2:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 2:33pm
motorsmell wrote:

😎

You missed the boat on "Sub-Mission". ;)
Certainly did! Well done mate, wicked tune!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 2:33pm
motorsmell wrote:

😎

You missed the boat on "Sub-Mission". ;) with Cookie and Glen.

Now that's good, never heard it before, but I really like it, very original. I'm watching it a second time, think I spotted Mick Jones & Paul Simonon in the video as well.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

motorsmell wrote:

I went for the same reason! Was disappointed but still managed to make the trip fun and really loved London in November.

As for the rest of the highlighted part, selfish on my part but really hope that’s not true :scared: I would hate to think I missed the chance to ever see my favorite musician play but obviously he owes us nothing.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

amj241 wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 2:11am
motorsmell wrote:

I went for the same reason! Was disappointed but still managed to make the trip fun and really loved London in November.

As for the rest of the highlighted part, selfish on my part but really hope that’s not true :scared: I would hate to think I missed the chance to ever see my favorite musician play but obviously he owes us nothing.
I also hope it's not true, but that's what I was told by someone whos mates with him....my thoughts exactly, I've never seen any member of the Clash play anything! Was really hoping for Mick but perhaps it's meant to be.... To be fair Mick has integrity and so if he doesn't feel he can do it justice or even doesn't want to do it it's better he doesn't. Unlike alot of players who still do the same old stuff but worse each time. Who knows Mick could be too busy working on the Mick Jones Solo album! But whatever he does hes given us plenty as it is

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

Has anyone heard anything about 2023’s anniversary show? I don’t see anything on the Facebook page/website and am wondering if they’ll do it again or if it’s stopped at 20 years.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

amj241 wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 4:05pm
Has anyone heard anything about 2023’s anniversary show? I don’t see anything on the Facebook page/website and am wondering if they’ll do it again or if it’s stopped at 20 years.
They only happen every 5 years unfortunately