002 Box

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
motorsmell
Junco Partner

002 Box

Post by motorsmell »

Any thoughts on whether this will ever materialise? I found 001 to be one of the finest sets ive ever purchased and Lucinda said multiple times there was enough material for maybe another 2 sets? The assembly LP was good but i do hope that wasnt the follow up....

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: 002 Box

Post by dave202 »

Dark Horse Records said there would be 'new releases' and as fine a compilaion as 'Assembly' is, I wouldn't call it 'new'. I hope they meant material, in which case I'd really look forward to '002', '003' or however many new sets were released. I'd even gladly accept a live album by The Mescaleros, as each line up was good live, and a lot of gigs were recorded.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky (and Steve) are basically providing us with 002 I think
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

dave202 wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 3:17pm
Dark Horse Records said there would be 'new releases' and as fine a compilaion as 'Assembly' is, I wouldn't call it 'new'. I hope they meant material, in which case I'd really look forward to '002', '003' or however many new sets were released. I'd even gladly accept a live album by The Mescaleros, as each line up was good live, and a lot of gigs were recorded.
Fingers crossed its not just endless RSD 12inch singles...001 is fucking great a real testament to the man. Assembly is good but no where near as good as 002...

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I'd be pleasantly surprised if 001 made the money necessary for the record company to want to be in business for 002. US North is one of the all-time great Strummer/Jones compositions, if there's anything of that quality in the vaults, I'll be there at the shop at midnight on release date.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Flex wrote:
29 Jan 2022, 3:26pm
Marky (and Steve) are basically providing us with 002 I think
I agree, they are probably giving us more material than a commercial release would, and doing so with excellent quality.

johnny2bad
Corner Soul

Post by johnny2bad »

It couldn't be a better time than 2022 : 70th birthday, 20th anniversary of his passing

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

johnny2bad wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 5:16pm
It couldn't be a better time than 2022 : 70th birthday, 20th anniversary of his passing
Yes indeed...there's gotta be something good in the works...there isn't many more aniversarys left for people that actually care about clash related stuff...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I thought "Assembly" was poorly packaged and badly remastered. Brickwalled where it needn't have been. Shame to treat such great material in such a shoddy way.

Plus it offered so little that we hadn't already heard.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

I didn't even buy Assembly because it seemed like a cheap way to make money.

I love 001 but I'm not really a fan of mixing in those Mescelaros songs that were 'greatest hits' available on the LP's anyway. At least the Rockabilly war stuff was hard to find on vinyl and you'd never be able to listen to songs back to back.

I really really want remastered Earthquake Weather and probably Walker too. The songs on 001 were great.

I guess I don't like them mixing common 'best of' stuff in with rare stuff or unreleased stuff. It's like buying an album for just one song.

Seriously, 3 unreleased tracks, 2 of them are live tracks from the same gig. Just release the whole gig as a live album then!

Junco Partner (Acoustic) should have been on 001 or left for 002.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 3:41am
I didn't even buy Assembly because it seemed like a cheap way to make money.

I love 001 but I'm not really a fan of mixing in those Mescelaros songs that were 'greatest hits' available on the LP's anyway. At least the Rockabilly war stuff was hard to find on vinyl and you'd never be able to listen to songs back to back.

I really really want remastered Earthquake Weather and probably Walker too. The songs on 001 were great.

I guess I don't like them mixing common 'best of' stuff in with rare stuff or unreleased stuff. It's like buying an album for just one song.

Seriously, 3 unreleased tracks, 2 of them are live tracks from the same gig. Just release the whole gig as a live album then!

Junco Partner (Acoustic) should have been on 001 or left for 002.
Earthquake weather and walker Re masters would be great, but I live in hope of 002 box...I love 001 but I do agree with leaving off best of stuff...I mainly want it to materialize just to justify the effort that went in to 001. Would be a great shame if it sold poorly and 002 is a non starter...I thought it was excellently presented and pretty fairly priced. Perhaps time is running out and the new fans discovering is now out weighed by fans dying off...very sad If that's the case...my son is called Charlie Clash so that's my small contribution in keeping the band alive... knowing my luck he will grow up to hate that name! But so far so good!

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Yeah 001 is great, I have the deluxe vinyl boxset. It's one of the best things I own! The box set of the original 5 albums is up there too

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
02 Feb 2022, 9:58pm
Yeah 001 is great, I have the deluxe vinyl boxset. It's one of the best things I own! The box set of the original 5 albums is up there too
Me too, it's a lovely thing indeed, almost ritual like when I decide to play it and go through the book etc...missed out on the clash box, decided on the Soundsystem instead which is also great.

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Sound System was cool but I didn't buy it cause I was over CDs by then! Have the high res FLAC collection though.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
03 Feb 2022, 7:11am
Sound System was cool but I didn't buy it cause I was over CDs by then! Have the high res FLAC collection though.
Sound System is way better remastered than the 001 box.

Tim Young remastered Sound System and did a great job. Obviously sympathetic to the material. He was the same guy who did the early singles like 'Complete Control" and has been around a while so knows his stuff. Great choice for the box set.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia