New book: Joe Strummer Portraits 1981–2001

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

New book: Joe Strummer Portraits 1981–2001

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://joestrummerbook.com
For the first time and in celebration of Joe’s life and art, New York photographer and creative director Josh Cheuse has opened his private archive filled with hundreds of never-before-seen images of Joe Strummer at work and play, as well as sketches, handwritten notes and collages taken from studio sessions, and late nights around the kitchen table.
Rocket 88 does very nice work (I have a softcover edition of their Talk Talk book) but t'ain't cheap.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: New book: Joe Strummer Portraits 1981–2001

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 8:34am
For the first time and in celebration of Joe’s life and art, New York photographer and creative director Josh Cheuse has opened his private archive filled with hundreds of never-before-seen images of Joe Strummer at work and play, as well as sketches, handwritten notes and collages taken from studio sessions, and late nights around the kitchen table.
Rocket 88 does very nice work (I have a softcover edition of their Talk Talk book) but t'ain't cheap.
I didn't see a price on this one. Is there one listed or ballpark based on previous books?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 11:16am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I didn't see a price on this one. Is there one listed or ballpark based on previous books?
Probably £50–75 for the first-run hardcover, then knock about £30 off for the subsequent softcover. Plus shipping.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
The preview pictures look pretty good, so I checked out Josh Cheuse's website, he's done some pretty impressive shoots. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this, kind of like to get a copy if it's not too pricey.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 12:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The preview pictures look pretty good, so I checked out Josh Cheuse's website, he's done some pretty impressive shoots. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this, kind of like to get a copy if it's not too pricey.
I suspect you should wait until next year or the year after then. And, to be fair, the softcover of the Talk Talk book is still quite nice. The paper quality inside is the same.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think I got on their email list because I was interested in the Devo book but it ended up being too rich for my blood. I see they have it available in paperback now. I'm sure this Strummer book will be magnificent, but at prestige pricing it'll probably be a little too much for me.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I got the same marketing email. The book looks interesting but could be hugely expensive, especially if they're offering an option to get your name in it.
I've seen a copy of that 'Too Fast To Live' book they're offering for 'just' £200 (save £75!) - the deluxe slipcase one with posters etc etc. It's a beautiful book, but you can now also get a bog standard version for £20 on amazon, eBay etc. And they don't mention that on their website.
So, if this turns out to be another premium price job, it might be worth waiting for a budget version to appear.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

It's better than the £1000.00 that MacGowan is asking for his collection of felt tipped doodles of tits and guns.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Silent Majority wrote:
16 Feb 2022, 2:07pm
It's better than the £1000.00 that MacGowan is asking for his collection of felt tipped doodles of tits and guns.
Yikes. At that price, I’ll stick to making my own tit doodles.

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

That looks pretty fascinating actually. Some of those illustrations would make great posters. Wonder if there’ll be a less pricey edition eventually.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 7:04am
That looks pretty fascinating actually. Some of those illustrations would make great posters. Wonder if there’ll be a less pricey edition eventually.
That's saying £5,000? I know inflation is on the rise right now, but that's some hike.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Seeing these high-priced collectors' items related to punk artists, McLaren must be cackling, "What did I tell ya about the music business?"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Feb 2022, 10:34am
Seeing these high-priced collectors' items related to punk artists, McLaren must be cackling, "What did I tell ya about the music business?"
Yeah, the whole thing makes me want to puke a bit. Mission accomplished, in a way.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!