Earthquake Weather remixed remaster.

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Re: Earthquake Weather remixed remaster.

Post by appleseed1 »

Marky, by doing away with the wah-wah guitar solo in the edited Gangsterville track you've fulfilled a dream I've had since I first heard EW back in late '94. Thank you! I always was impressed by what a storming track it is, but then also aghast by how it goes off the rails with that goofy solo.

The original Earthquake Weather starts off like a western movie with Joe kicking open a couple of swinging doors to a saloon, striding in, beginning to kick serious ass, and then with that horrible solo suddenly putting on a clown nose and farting for some inexplicable reason. I hate it. This edit is perfect. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again now that I have this superb edit. Sony should release your entire work on the album as is.

I actually jumped because I was buzzing at how fantastic your edit is and wasn't ready to be ambushed by the sound of children boogying. Even your magic can't salvage that one, but you did good work on it, too. ;)

I've had the Gangsterville edit on repeat for a 20 minutes now. Love it!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 9:57pm
Marky, by doing away with the wah-wah guitar solo in the edited Gangsterville track you've fulfilled a dream I've had since I first heard EW back in late '94. Thank you! I always was impressed by what a storming track it is, but then also aghast by how it goes off the rails with that goofy solo.

The original Earthquake Weather starts off like a western movie with Joe kicking open a couple of swinging doors to a saloon, striding in, beginning to kick serious ass, and then with that horrible solo suddenly putting on a clown nose and farting for some inexplicable reason. I hate it. This edit is perfect. I doubt I'll ever listen to it again now that I have this superb edit. Sony should release your entire work on the album as is.

I actually jumped because I was buzzing at how fantastic your edit is and wasn't ready to be ambushed by the sound of children boogying. Even your magic can't salvage that one, but you did good work on it, too. ;)

I've had the Gangsterville edit on repeat for a 20 minutes now. Love it!
Glad you enjoy it mate. I can't stand "Boogie with Your Children" and "Baby O'Boogie" both are plain awful. But sticking them on a B-side means at least they get included in the set.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Here's an edit I made to Shouting Street using Marky's fantastic remaster to shorten the opening guitar solo.

https://mega.nz/file/zqxX1LQT#48hSB939n ... hDu4wn7rS8

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

msza2 wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 9:49am
Here's an edit I made to Shouting Street using Marky's fantastic remaster to shorten the opening guitar solo.

Nice job mate!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 9:59am
msza2 wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 9:49am

Nice job mate!
Thanks!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

The actual lineup of the LRW was quite different for EW than it was on Permanent Record (with the exception of Schloss bridging the gap), wasn't it? I wonder what EW might have turned out like if Joe had kept the original group.

Addendum: I may be the only person here who loves this album.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

iRe: Earthquake Weather remixed remaster.

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 3:27pm
The actual lineup of the LRW was quite different for EW than it was on Permanent Record (with the exception of Schloss bridging the gap), wasn't it? I wonder what EW might have turned out like if Joe had kept the original group.

Nope, definitely one or two of us about. I much prefer it to PR.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:

Willie MacNeil drums on both PR and EW. With Jack Irons also on some EW tracks. Both albums sessions were recorded at Baby 'O Recorders, LA.

I think I prefer PR over EW for the sound and production. Whilst I don't think either is great PR is mixed better because Zanders guitar is not so high in the mix and less intruding. His guitar sound spoils EW for me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

Kory wrote:

That’s probably why they didn’t bother adding “& the Latino Rockabilly War” on the cover of EW. The ‘Latino’ aspect of the band was missing without the presence of Poncho Sanchez and Ramon Banda, who backed up the percussion on PR. Tupelo Joe wasn’t on EW either, he actually did some of the guitar work for PR.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Kory wrote:

I can't say I love it, but I like enough of it that I can make a really enjoyable playlist out of its parts.

Tier 1: Island Hopping, Shouting Streets, Ride Your Donkey, Sleepwalk

Tier 2: King of the Bayou, Leopardskin Limousines, Punk Rock Blues, 15th Brigade

Tier 3: Gangsterville, Dizzy's Goatee

Tier 4: the rest

Those top 3 tiers make a pretty solid album. My understanding is that Cholo Vest is actually from the Permanent Record sessions, but if I'm wrong then I'd put that one in T2.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

TrashCityRocker wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 6:57pm
Kory wrote:

That’s probably why they didn’t bother adding “& the Latino Rockabilly War” on the cover of EW. The ‘Latino’ aspect of the band was missing without the presence of Poncho Sanchez and Ramon Banda, who backed up the percussion on PR. Tupelo Joe wasn’t on EW either, he actually did some of the guitar work for PR.
Good point. I actually didn't realize the Latino presence was that strong in the first lineup.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

msza2 wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 7:35pm
Kory wrote:

I can't say I love it, but I like enough of it that I can make a really enjoyable playlist out of its parts.

Tier 1: Island Hopping, Shouting Streets, Ride Your Donkey, Sleepwalk

Tier 2: King of the Bayou, Leopardskin Limousines, Punk Rock Blues, 15th Brigade

Tier 3: Gangsterville, Dizzy's Goatee

Tier 4: the rest

Those top 3 tiers make a pretty solid album. My understanding is that Cholo Vest is actually from the Permanent Record sessions, but if I'm wrong then I'd put that one in T2.
Yes Chollo Vest was a PR outtake later used as a EW b-side.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 7:58pm
Yes Chollo Vest was a PR outtake later used as a EW b-side.
Ah, thanks. No wonder I get it mixed up.

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

I remember having a small disagreement online with someone who claimed Cholo Vest was not “LRW” era material. They argued that it was released under just “Joe Strummer” and that PR, Trash City single, and RATR tour constitutes the LRW era. I argued it was an outtake from the PR sessions that was released a year later, and that it was even featured in the PR film. Some people you just can’t reason with lol
Cholo Vest (Film Version).m4a
(6.4 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
Also, I don’t know if you all knew this, but the end of the PR film features a more upbeat/uptempo mix of TFPR. In fact, the movie features alternate mixes of Baby The Trans and Nefertiti Rock too, but it’s mostly the vocals that seem to be different for Nefertiti and BTT. Just an FYI in case anybody cares.
Theme From Permanent Record (Alternate Mix).m4a
(3.78 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
Note: the files I attached are low bit rate rips from the movie, unfortunately I have no vocal remover software.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TrashCityRocker wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 10:28am
I remember having a small disagreement online with someone who claimed Cholo Vest was not “LRW” era material. They argued that it was released under just “Joe Strummer” and that PR, Trash City single, and RATR tour constitutes the LRW era. I argued it was an outtake from the PR sessions that was released a year later, and that it was even featured in the PR film. Some people you just can’t reason with lol

Cholo Vest (Film Version).m4a

Also, I don’t know if you all knew this, but the end of the PR film features a more upbeat/uptempo mix of TFPR. In fact, the movie features alternate mixes of Baby The Trans and Nefertiti Rock too, but it’s mostly the vocals that seem to be different for Nefertiti and BTT. Just an FYI in case anybody cares.

Theme From Permanent Record (Alternate Mix).m4a

Note: the files I attached are low bit rate rips from the movie, unfortunately I have no vocal remover software.
There's also an intro at the start of the movie that's around 1:45 long. I've remixed the whole soundtrack for the box set I'm working on. Those clips you posted are not included as you can not remove all the background noise/talking cleanly.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia