Joe Strummer Rocks Again

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Re: Joe Strummer Rocks Again

Post by IkarisOne »

Wolter wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 10:37pm
gkbill wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 9:46pm
Heston wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 8:18pm
I think Dum Dum Club is the most underrated rocker in Joe's catalogue. Always like it better than its fairly excellent flip side.
Hello,

My favorite Joe collection is the Permanent Record tracks (including outtakes).
The Joe tracks on that soundtrack would be a killer ep.
I'm not big on the outtakes but the LP tracks are solid. Baby the Trans is a flat-out classic. I can imagine both The 101ers and The Clash playing it.

I couldn't find Dum Dum Club on Spotify for some reason.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I'm not big on the outtakes but the LP tracks are solid. Baby the Trans is a flat-out classic. I can imagine both The 101ers and The Clash playing it.

I couldn't find Dum Dum Club on Spotify for some reason.
I've always liked the two car-themed ones, Louisiana Turnpike, and Plymouth Roadrunner -- Joe channeling his inner Chuck Berry! I also love the sheer audacity of asking the person who ended up singing on it -- the studio receptionist, I believe -- a classic Joe Strummer move, if you ask me! The rest of them could have been developed into something, with a bit of time and patience.

That would have floated my boat better, instead of what they chose to fill side two with (well, except for the Godfathers track, which I quite liked). I wanted more Joe! The tracks that they did use showed there was life in the guy yet, and I could look forward to the next chapter of his story with a reasonable degree of confidence.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

IkarisOne wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 11:53am
Low Down Low wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 11:00am
Mark^Bastard wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 3:47am
No Tennessee Rain or Long Shadow or X-Ray Style :naughty:
All great though I'm assuming the emphasis is on "rocks" here so i wouldn't expect them to be included. I think Forbidden City is an unassuming little rocker that does tend to get overlooked a bit.
Yep, Joe had two modes: manic and depressive. I wanted a bit of manic Joe. FC is a good track- maybe I'll add it.
Yeah, must say I find both sides compelling, straight up rocker Joe and "brooding side of madness" Joe. Probably cos I'm basically a moody Tucker, though!