Joe Strummer 002 coming soon

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Joe Strummer 002 coming soon

Post by Marky Dread »

Equaliser wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 10:52am
Marky Dread wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 3:03pm
So this Paul Hicks guy who remastered the Joe/Meskies box is working on The Beatles stuff.

Look at this screenshot of Ocean of Dreams. The instrumental version we had and the Vocal version on the new box. The brickwalling is laughable.
That's totally messed up. This loudness wars stuff was debunked years ago, why does it continue? Is it better for streaming? Thanks for illustrating that.

I first noticed it when I bought a 2CD Squeeze set years ago that had most of the b-sides and a few unreleased tracks from their classic period. It is so loud that the sound is distorted even at low volume as if your speakers are blown out. The next wave of re-mastered product in a few years will be de-brickwalled re-issues.
Welcome to my world. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 9:00am
Mark^Bastard wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 8:46am
Marky Dread wrote:
So this Paul Hicks guy who remastered the Joe/Meskies box is working on The Beatles stuff.

Look at this screenshot of Ocean of Dreams. The instrumental version we had and the Vocal version on the new box. The brickwalling is laughable.
Why do they even pay people to do that? A computer programme would be able to "master" music if they just wanted a loud mess
Yeah true.

I should point out that TeddyB did say Giles Martin is doing the Beatles remasters. And Paul Hicks is responsible for the Lennon stuff. Still bloody awful in my opinion.

Yes. But why is this so brickwalled? Some of Paul Hicks’s work on Lennon remixes and the like has been pretty good. Nothing like this. I think he did the All Things Must Pass remix, which was a mixed bag, as it was fated to be. I guess he’s tight with Dhani.

Did I miss where we discussed this coming new release for Record Store Day?
6DC92001-4D77-4484-BB3E-922AD7D5ACA2.jpeg
6DC92001-4D77-4484-BB3E-922AD7D5ACA2.jpeg (74.22 KiB) Viewed 11773 times

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 3:00am
Marky Dread wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Why do they even pay people to do that? A computer programme would be able to "master" music if they just wanted a loud mess
Yeah true.

I should point out that TeddyB did say Giles Martin is doing the Beatles remasters. And Paul Hicks is responsible for the Lennon stuff. Still bloody awful in my opinion.

Yes. But why is this so brickwalled? Some of Paul Hicks’s work on Lennon remixes and the like has been pretty good. Nothing like this. I think he did the All Things Must Pass remix, which was a mixed bag, as it was fated to be. I guess he’s tight with Dhani.

There was a bit of a discussion. Good to know that such items could be further future releases. A bit strange that all the tracks are duplicated on both sides.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 3:14am
Marky Dread wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah true.

There was a bit of a discussion. Good to know that such items could be further future releases. A bit strange that all the tracks are duplicated on both sides.
It's something fans have had for years. It's on YouTube. It would've been nicer to see something that hasn't been so widely shared. The upload/YouTube clip is already in great quality. I've remastered it for inclusion in the Joe box I'm putting together.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah true.

The Beatles and Lennon stuff clearly gets checked and treated with more respect.

Joe's work deserves equal respect. I'm fed up of buying stuff that's been poorly remastered. Let's just have everything louder....no let's not!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 6:30am
It's something fans have had for years. It's on YouTube. It would've been nicer to see something that hasn't been so widely shared. The upload/YouTube clip is already in great quality. I've remastered it for inclusion in the Joe box I'm putting together.
I've always enjoyed the set, even if 'Jonco Partner' goes on a bit long and rambling, but then again, so what? I am really looking forward to your Joe box and wish Dark Horse had even half the imagination.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 12:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I've always enjoyed the set, even if 'Jonco Partner' goes on a bit long and rambling, but then again, so what? I am really looking forward to your Joe box and wish Dark Horse had even half the imagination.
It's sounding fantastic so far.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

danbot
Dirty Punk

Post by danbot »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 3:22pm
dave202 wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 12:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
It's sounding fantastic so far.
I'm very much looking forward to it as well!

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

Marky,
Your Box Sets have been blowing away everything and anything that the record companies could ever imagine.
I'll be waiting with bated breath!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JChampion wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 2:09pm
Marky,
Your Box Sets have been blowing away everything and anything that the record companies could ever imagine.
I'll be waiting with bated breath!
Hi mate. The purpose is not to leave fans feeling short changed. These box sets are getting more expensive and can be a let down.

I understand that bands may not want certain things being released. But in the end the record companies will release anything that will fetch a buck.

So let's at the very least get a decent package and value for money with some decent remastering.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Marky, you have been outstanding with the effort and passion in your remasters. The artwork is cohesive and the level of detail puts whatever design agency Sony uses to shame. Thank you for investing so much.

On a separate note; did you enjoy the Revolver remix and to your technical ear, did the AI live up to expectation?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Telecaster wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 4:36pm
Marky, you have been outstanding with the effort and passion in your remasters. The artwork is cohesive and the level of detail puts whatever design agency Sony uses to shame. Thank you for investing so much.

On a separate note; did you enjoy the Revolver remix and to your technical ear, did the AI live up to expectation?
I have been so busy with this Joe box that I haven't heard the Revolver remix as of yet mate. I'll let you know when I have more time on my hands. When I get involved in a project I don't allow for other musical distractions. The only respite I take from the project is talking on here. 👍

Hence I have a huge pile of unplayed stuff yet to be unwrapped.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Your work ethic is phenomenal. My hearing would be fatigued and compromised with that sort of effort.

I've heard the Revolver remix on Spotify and it makes for a refreshing listen after the hard panned original. Lots more detail can be heard. Will probably get the 2cd edition on the strength of that.

We're all intrigued to hear your Strummer compilation. On the back your previous work Im sure its going to be imaginative and the go to Strummer boxset.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Telecaster wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 2:39am
Your work ethic is phenomenal. My hearing would be fatigued and compromised with that sort of effort.

I've heard the Revolver remix on Spotify and it makes for a refreshing listen after the hard panned original. Lots more detail can be heard. Will probably get the 2cd edition on the strength of that.

We're all intrigued to hear your Strummer compilation. On the back your previous work Im sure its going to be imaginative and the go to Strummer boxset.

Thanks again for all your efforts.
Thanks mate. It's coming together nicely.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

https://consequence.net/2022/09/joe-str ... terview/3/

The end of this interview with Luce suggests that perhaps 003 might be a live set. Maybe.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc