Joe Strummer 002 coming soon

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Re: Joe Strummer 002 coming soon

Post by Mark^Bastard »

msza2 wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 2:00pm
Mark^Bastard wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 1:09am
I'm excited about this and will definitely buy it.

Thought it's somewhat annoying that 002 has taken this approach when 001 didn't.

For example, 002 now makes 001 more annoying for trying to be too much. I never liked the Mescelaros tracks that made it to 001 despite being on somewhat recently released and easy to get albums. Is it a basic compilation or a nice collection of rare and hard to get stuff? Even tracks like Trash City I had listened to a million times but never really owned on an album I would bother listening to. Then we only had one song from Earthquake Weather, which is the kind of album that actually deserved a remaster.

So if the 002 approach was taken with 001 it would have perhaps been better? Include the entirety of Earthquake Weather and Walker for example, remastered.

Anyway this is pretty good, I don't think I own one of those albums on vinyl yet, and I like that the album tracks and bonus stuff are cleanly separated.
Good point. Now that we know that 002 is a deep dive into the Mescaleros period, it seems that 001 should have been a more definitive look at the 'wilderness years.' But maybe the idea was to start off with an overarching greatest hits with 001, and then 003 will be the wilderness years deep dive?
I guess I'd argue that Disc 1 in trying to be both a 'round up' of single songs but also a bit of a 'greatest hits'. Given it's 20 tracks long and I got the deluxe vinyl edition which has 4 sides covering those 20 tracks, it's a shame that they went with a chronological order.

The alt versions are good, Minstrel Boy with vocals and the redemption song with Johnny Cash (And disc 2 has London is Burning which is cool but now fits in 002 more I suppose).

Coma Girl, Silver & Gold, Yalla Yalla, X-Ray Style and Johnny Appleseed are superfluous.

Ride Your Donkey is a good remaster but made me just want a remastered deluxe edition of Earthquake Weather. Was weird just having the one song and it's not a B-Side or anything.

Tennessee rain being the only song form walker is something I can live with, given it's not an instrumental.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Joe’s estate does not control the records that came out previous to his deal with Hellcat. Anything from the 80’s soundtracks and Earthquake Weather included on 001 was licensed for that box by Dark Horse. This is also the probable explanation for credits being assigned individually for the 1983/84 demos, and the vagueness of those recording dates, to skirt issues with Sony (and perhaps Bernie). The road to any reissue of earlier post-Clash material runs through Sony. That doesn’t mean there isn’t more to come. But a box collecting the 80’s material is likely impossible financially. The record companies would rather sell expensive colored vinyl.

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

It’s bullshit that they aren’t selling the demos/outtakes as a single disc/vinyl release, another money grab. I don’t want the 3 Mesky’s albums, I already own them on multiple formats so I’ll most likely end up just downloading it off slsk & paying fuck all for it.

johnny2bad
Corner Soul

Post by johnny2bad »

Hopefully one day someone will explain us what we did wrong to deserve such a curse: begging for a Lewisham or a Bonds and getting in return Shea and People's Hall; on the knees for Pigs, Permanent or Walker and getting this offensive 002 rip-off. Unbelievable.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 3:06am
Joe’s estate does not control the records that came out previous to his deal with Hellcat. Anything from the 80’s soundtracks and Earthquake Weather included on 001 was licensed for that box by Dark Horse. This is also the probable explanation for credits being assigned individually for the 1983/84 demos, and the vagueness of those recording dates, to skirt issues with Sony (and perhaps Bernie). The road to any reissue of earlier post-Clash material runs through Sony. That doesn’t mean there isn’t more to come. But a box collecting the 80’s material is likely impossible financially. The record companies would rather sell expensive colored vinyl.
Thanks TeddyB, good to know. A shame that Sony wouldn’t see some 20th anniversary potential to sell some soundtrack box sets. I would even settle for coloured vinyl!

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

fantastic on youtube now. demo of ramshackle day parade?

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Its on Spotify too.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Thanks for sharing

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 3:06am
Sony sitting on a stack of material which lots of people want to buy but they have no intention of doing anything with really annoys me. A shred of decency would see them license the material on a peppercorn lease, giving then acknowledgement of the material, a token income that would be otherwise unrealised, and a bit more kudos than they presently have. A double cd rounding up the 'Earthquake Weather' album, b-sides and 'Permanent Record' material would be a great release.

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Man that would be great wouldn't it.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Really enjoying Fantastic. There's some neat little ideas in this version that were abandoned for the album version.

blureu
Dirty Punk

Post by blureu »

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

Heston wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 5:52am
Saw this on FB...

295655473_10228718977108187_6038774508914044485_n.jpg
Who planned Joe Strummer 002 should explain why there are 8 Mescaleros tracks in Joe Strummer 001. No sense

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

002 released tomorrow. Not sure its worth getting at the moment.
Would like to see some reviews first.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Telecaster wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 10:39am
002 released tomorrow. Not sure its worth getting at the moment.
Would like to see some reviews first.
Yeah, I decided to hold off for now as well.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!