Strummer@70

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Strummer@70

Post by white man »

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Strummer@70

Post by Marky Dread »

Happy birthday Joe. See you around sometime.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

AudioAmmunition
Dirty Punk

Post by AudioAmmunition »

Nice little tribute this morning by Mark Radcliffe on 6Music. He played Keys To Your Heart and Career Opportunities back to back. I remember on the day Joe died Mark started his then lunchtime Radio One show with White Riot followed By White Man In Hammersmith Palais. I was driving at the time and had to pull over and just have a quiet 5 minutes. Probably the only two times I've heard 2 Clash related numbers in a row on daytime national radio.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Cheers WM, will try and catch a bit of this.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

AudioAmmunition wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 7:06am
Nice little tribute this morning by Mark Radcliffe on 6Music. He played Keys To Your Heart and Career Opportunities back to back. I remember on the day Joe died Mark started his then lunchtime Radio One show with White Riot followed By White Man In Hammersmith Palais. I was driving at the time and had to pull over and just have a quiet 5 minutes. Probably the only two times I've heard 2 Clash related numbers in a row on daytime national radio.
Fair play. Like the interview he does with Mark on the cambridge festival recording, you can really sense the level of genuine warmth between them.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 8:48am
Cheers WM, will try and catch a bit of this.
Your welcome mate

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

God bless ya', Joe.

One of my fave Stummer stories:

"Visiting INXS singer Michael Hutchence in a Memphis hotel, Strummer found the leather-trewed antipodean Lothario surrounded by mini-skirted teenagers, and asked him what it was like to be a sex symbol. 'You're Joe Strummer,' Hutchence said, 'You should know.' 'I was never a sex symbol,' Strummer told him, 'I was just a spokesman for a generation.'"
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Time marches on, doesn't it?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

I thought this was half decent

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 1:21pm
I'm older by several years than Joe was when he passed, yet 70 still seems absurdly far away to me. Time as something experienced never stops being foreign.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 6:36am
Silent Majority wrote:
I'm older by several years than Joe was when he passed, yet 70 still seems absurdly far away to me. Time as something experienced never stops being foreign.
It feels like he just had his 60th.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I'm halfway. It's mad to think when I bought that first Clash albun in April 77 I was 15 and Joe was 25. It's like I'm ten years older than him now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

white man wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 3:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
I'm halfway. It's mad to think when I bought that first Clash albun in April 77 I was 15 and Joe was 25. It's like I'm ten years older than him now.
Yeah! That's definitely a big part of it. He's frozen as either a young man or a middle-aged man—whatever you prefer—but the rest of us get more crumbly.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 3:09pm
white man wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 3:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Yeah! That's definitely a big part of it. He's frozen as either a young man or a middle-aged man—whatever you prefer—but the rest of us get more crumbly.
Similar thoughts. It took me reaching Joe's age, and seeing it in my rear view mirror, not just to fully appreciate how insanely young he was to go when he did but also how much he packed into that comparably short existence, including as it did a sizable number of years in the so-called "wilderness". Sometimes i feel i still haven't got going yet and best years might still lie ahead (he said optimistically!)