Uncut

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
PatricE
Corner Soul

Uncut

Post by PatricE »

76B64E83-3C03-46B2-886A-E183BF279B08.jpeg
79251029-A780-4211-B4D7-E7295746B901.png

PatricE
Corner Soul

Re: Uncut

Post by PatricE »

B20C39DB-33DB-413E-A48B-0B9793ABFAC4.jpeg

PatricE
Corner Soul

Post by PatricE »

2876B595-FD43-4A9B-9B12-8C4B49D1E17B.jpeg

PatricE
Corner Soul

Post by PatricE »

7E993173-D25D-4A62-AA39-985F8A861CD5.jpeg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Thanks PatricE.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Many thanks for this. The piece with Scott is very interesting.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Thanks PatricE. Some welcome insights from Mr Shields there
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Thank you PatricE, good reading.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Good read. Thanks!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Thanks for sharing!

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

Thanks for sharing this! My favorite part is when Scott says, "Joe was sitting in this little room he built in the studio". So right until the end Joe still setting up the "spliff bunker" in the studio. Kind of shows that Scott was not a Clash fan after all. We would have known right away what that was! I can see it now complete with portable typewriter and boombox.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Equaliser wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 1:55pm
Thanks for sharing this! My favorite part is when Scott says, "Joe was sitting in this little room he built in the studio". So right until the end Joe still setting up the "spliff bunker" in the studio. Kind of shows that Scott was not a Clash fan after all. We would have known right away what that was! I can see it now complete with portable typewriter and boombox.
A few years ago I went to a screening of 'Let's Rock Again' and afterwards there was a Q&A with Tymon Dogg and Scott Shields.
Someone asked for Scott's thoughts on the Acton gig where Mick Jones joined them onstage - I think we were all expecting a 'wow, what a privilege, a magical moment' sort of comment... but instead he chuckled and said that, actually, he was really pissed off at the time! He had no sense of the significance of the 'Strummer / Jones reunion' and was annoyed at one of Joe's pals inviting himself on from the wings and putting the band off their stride!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

That is hilarious! A very honest response as well. I also respect their wanting to not be a Clash cover band in general.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Equaliser wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 3:52pm
That is hilarious! A very honest response as well. I also respect their wanting to not be a Clash cover band in general.
It seems like Joe was really being (internally) pulled in two directions. There must have been thousands of top-notch musicians who loved the Clash and would have lined up to play with him, yet he chose to work with a group of that didn't revere his former band's work...and then insisted on cramming his set lists full of his former band's work.

My guess is it was partly insecurity about how his new songs would be received, but I also think having a stable of crowd pleasers for the live set probably empowered him to feel like he could really stretch out with his new material.

One of the things I admire the most about Joe was that he was always moving forward. I think it's to his credit that he wanted to work with someone like Scott who didn't understand the Clash. When I was a teenager in the 90s, both punk and ska had a mainstream revival. He could have tried to seize the limelight with a throwback album to those styles, but instead he was getting down with electronic cumbia and spittin' Arabic over house beats. That's one reason why I love the Mescaleros so much.

Thanks for the article, PatricE

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

I wonder if things would have continued if they would have dropped some of the more popular or well known clash tunes and dug a little deeper with stuff like “if music could talk”, “broadway”, “groovy times”, “Spanish bombs”, “street parade”, etc. I think some of that jazzy, acoustic, experimental stuff could have worked well into their sets and give a good counter & change of pace to some of the *rockier new stuff that was being promised during the streetcore sessions mixed with stalwarts from the first two albums (yalla, Appleseed, Tony adams, cool n out…)
*Martin told me & CK after one of the St. Ann’s gigs that they were firing up some hard rockers for the new album, got our hopes up real high only to have our wings clipped a short time later.