Uncut

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Uncut

Post by Low Down Low »

sonnyburnit wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 9:00pm
I wonder if things would have continued if they would have dropped some of the more popular or well known clash tunes and dug a little deeper with stuff like “if music could talk”, “broadway”, “groovy times”, “Spanish bombs”, “street parade”, etc. I think some of that jazzy, acoustic, experimental stuff could have worked well into their sets and give a good counter & change of pace to some of the *rockier new stuff that was being promised during the streetcore sessions mixed with stalwarts from the first two albums (yalla, Appleseed, Tony adams, cool n out…)
*Martin told me & CK after one of the St. Ann’s gigs that they were firing up some hard rockers for the new album, got our hopes up real high only to have our wings clipped a short time later.
It's a song i love but introducing If Music Could Talk into the set list would have been among the bravest calls Joe ever made imho. Definitely would have been all up for it though!

msza2
Junco Partner

Re: Uncut

Post by msza2 »

sonnyburnit wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 9:00pm
I wonder if things would have continued if they would have dropped some of the more popular or well known clash tunes and dug a little deeper with stuff like “if music could talk”, “broadway”, “groovy times”, “Spanish bombs”, “street parade”, etc. I think some of that jazzy, acoustic, experimental stuff could have worked well into their sets and give a good counter & change of pace to some of the *rockier new stuff that was being promised during the streetcore sessions mixed with stalwarts from the first two albums (yalla, Appleseed, Tony adams, cool n out…)
*Martin told me & CK after one of the St. Ann’s gigs that they were firing up some hard rockers for the new album, got our hopes up real high only to have our wings clipped a short time later.
That would have been amazing and more fitting IMO. The straight ahead Clashrockers like Tommy Gun never really fit with the Mescaleros to me, whereas the reggae rock and "world music" Clash material fit perfectly.

And after hearing what the second Mescaleros lineup did with Yalla Yalla and Bankrobber in particular, it would have been great to hear them take on some lower key S! material.