Shaktar Donetsk

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Shaktar Donetsk

Post by Equaliser »

Whenever I hear this awesome Joe Strummer track I always think of the Ukraine war news...

He had the wooly scarf of Shaktar Donetsk
Nay, the banner of freedom wrung around his neck
Inherited from his father
One of the Ukraine exiles of Yugoslavia
He said, "You'll get there in the end."
If you really wanna go - alive or dead my friend
Well, you can levitate you know - long as the money's good you're in
Or if you really wanna go - you'll get there in the end

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63209183

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Shaktar Donetsk

Post by Low Down Low »

Equaliser wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 7:30am
Whenever I hear this awesome Joe Strummer track I always think of the Ukraine war news...

He had the wooly scarf of Shaktar Donetsk
Nay, the banner of freedom wrung around his neck
Inherited from his father
One of the Ukraine exiles of Yugoslavia
He said, "You'll get there in the end."
If you really wanna go - alive or dead my friend
Well, you can levitate you know - long as the money's good you're in
Or if you really wanna go - you'll get there in the end

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63209183
It's an awesome track, one of Joe's very best imho, the sheer humanity in it is poignant and heart warming.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

My favourite Mescaleros song, I think it is brilliant.

SuzukiSamurai
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by SuzukiSamurai »

laxman wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 2:26pm
My favourite Mescaleros song, I think it is brilliant.
Agreed. It took me a long time to get into Joe's solo work and the Mescaleros, but this song always stood out to me from the beginning.

War on tape hiss!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Fantastic track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

One of the things I love about Joe Strummer's often dense and cryptic lyrics is that you can chew on his songs for years until one day you have an epiphany and you suddenly get it. This song took me 20 years to understand! I don't know anything about European Football so I didn't know about this team, and until Russia invaded the Ukraine I never knew about the city of Donetsk. Damn, I miss this guy.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Equaliser wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 11:37am
One of the things I love about Joe Strummer's often dense and cryptic lyrics is that you can chew on his songs for years until one day you have an epiphany and you suddenly get it. This song took me 20 years to understand! I don't know anything about European Football so I didn't know about this team, and until Russia invaded the Ukraine I never knew about the city of Donetsk. Damn, I miss this guy.
Haha! That's great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I love the "two bar heater" line on the live recordings. Them twin tower vandal eye is a great line too.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 1:43pm
I love the "two bar heater" line on the live recordings. Them twin tower vandal eye is a great line too.
I always thought it was “Them twin towers vandalised” but now I am not so sure.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

laxman wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 1:53pm
Low Down Low wrote:
You could well be right there. Can't remember if there are lyrics with the album but i always assumed vandal eye for some reason, though i couldn't say what is meant by it. Vandalised would make sense in the context of the stadium demolition though that didn't happen until 2 years after the song was written.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I remember when I started getting into soccerball (round) and all of a sudden this song clicked. Good times. Slightly less good times to listen to at the moment and be reminded of current events, alas. But still a brilliant, moody work of Joe's. One of his final masterpieces, I believe.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 5:05pm
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
You could well be right there. Can't remember if there are lyrics with the album but i always assumed vandal eye for some reason, though i couldn't say what is meant by it. Vandalised would make sense in the context of the stadium demolition though that didn't happen until 2 years after the song was written.
My take is different to both "Vandal eye" - Low down low and "Vandalised" - Laxman.

I think it's a play by Joe on there being the Wembley twin towers and the attack of 9/11. With people looking at foreigners as terrorists.

Them twin tower vandal-aye

Aye as in the scottish way of saying "yes".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 5:37pm
Low Down Low wrote:
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
My take is different to both "Vandal eye" - Low down low and "Vandalised" - Laxman.

I think it's a play by Joe on there being the Wembley twin towers and the attack of 9/11. With people looking at foreigners as terrorists.

Never copped the ny twin towers connection but that's definitely possible too, though again i think the song pre dates the terror attack. "Vandal aye" is intriguing, i wouldn't rule anything out tbh.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 8:14am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
laxman wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Never copped the ny twin towers connection but that's definitely possible too, though again i think the song pre dates the terror attack. "Vandal aye" is intriguing, i wouldn't rule anything out tbh.
Forget my stupid theory. I don't think Joe wouldve mentioned it pre the attack. :disshame:

I was just thinking how Joe liked to juxtapose ideas in his lyrics. But my theory doesn't make sense.

I even checked to see if there was any significance to the 1925 F.A. Cup final re the postcard in the lyrics but found nothing.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 8:43am
Low Down Low wrote:
15 Oct 2022, 8:14am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
laxman wrote:

Forget my stupid theory. I don't think Joe wouldve mentioned it pre the attack. :disshame:

I was just thinking how Joe liked to juxtapose ideas in his lyrics. But my theory doesn't make sense.

I even checked to see if there was any significance to the 1925 F.A. Cup final re the postcard in the lyrics but found nothing.
Remember the Acton show where Joe introduces Tony Adams as a song about "a catastrophe hitting New York." When i first heard it, I thought it was Joe being a bit tongue in cheek, but the lyrics actually do fit rather well when you think about it. Not that i believe he's clairvoyant in any way, just a bit of a spooky coincidence is all.

I think the 1925 is simply an historical reference to when the first red phone box was introduced but beyond that, I'm stumped by what he's trying to get at there. I still really like the line whatever it is.