Tony Adams CD single

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
msza2
Junco Partner

Re: Tony Adams CD single

Post by msza2 »

Here's a review (in Japanese) with a few pics from the 9/29 Asagiri show: http://smashingmag.com/cont/02cont/020929joe.html

Cross-referencing these pics against the LRA footage of Ishen, you can see that some of the video does seem to be taken from this show (note the flower décor in the background at 1:26 and the tent at 2:35)

However the LRA footage appears to be a mashup of two different shows, with the audio appearing to be sourced from the other show, as best I can tell.

Here is some info on the Fukuoka and Asagiri shows, with a couple of pics: http://www.radioclash.it/testi/concerti ... apan02.htm

These pics are not from Asagiri, so it seems they are from Fukuoka. These pics look consistent enough with the Ishen video that I'm going to go out on a limb and say they are the same show (9/28/02 Fukuoka Fest) and that this is the audio source for the LRA audio.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 10:52am
dave202 wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 10:37am
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 2:55pm
Yep and what's worse is Laxman just reminded that I've got the whole set on the Viva Zapata! CD called "Avalon By Bus". :disshame: Just didn't connect the dots. Oh well onwards and upwards. 👍
I love the title 'Avalon By Bus' and get the reference. Now I've just got to trace a copy.
Hard to find now mate.
I thought as much. Still, I'll keep looking.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

After going down this rabbit hole all morning to arrive at Fukuoka as the source of the LRA audio for Ishen and 1969, I just put on 1969 again and at 3:08 you can very clearly hear Joe say "2029 okay/All across Fukuoka way". Lol. Though maybe I needed to know what to listen for before I could hear it.

Here's the vid timestamped.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Brilliant mate well done. That's sorted. Thank you.

I will include both 1969 and Ishen now. 😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 12:01pm

Awesome! Glad to help.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

msza2 wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 12:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Awesome! Glad to help.
Well done. I'm going to listen to the other Lets Rock Again tracks for similar clues.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 1:25pm
msza2 wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 12:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Awesome! Glad to help.
Well done. I'm going to listen to the other Lets Rock Again tracks for similar clues.
😎👌

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

laxman wrote:

Nice! I had the same thought and found a couple of clues in A Message to You, Rudy:

1:20: You used to be a go getter, man / you always used to try to be a better man / Now every night you're on David Letterman / Creating problems at the networks

2:37: You say you're hiding out in Montana, you're blown by the winds of Santa Anna / but I know every night you're in Dan Tana's, creating problems in West Hollywood

I think these are enough to identify this show as Aug 2, 2001 at the Viper Room, Los Angeles/West Hollywood (as listed on BMC). The Mescaleros were on David Letterman in NY on Aug 1, so that would be a fresh reference, and there is a Dan Tana's restaurant less than a mile from the Viper Room.

What do you guys think?

What I haven't been able to place yet is which video is the source of the audio. There's 3 or 4 shows spliced together, and pretty much the only way to tell them apart is by which t-shirt Scott is wearing as the other guys seem to wearing the same clothes in all the gigs (except the Fukuoka show which was a different tour).

Oh and here's the clip:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

msza2 wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 6:00pm
laxman wrote:

Nice! I had the same thought and found a couple of clues in A Message to You, Rudy:

1:20: You used to be a go getter, man / you always used to try to be a better man / Now every night you're on David Letterman / Creating problems at the networks

2:37: You say you're hiding out in Montana, you're blown by the winds of Santa Anna / but I know every night you're in Dan Tana's, creating problems in West Hollywood

I think these are enough to identify this show as Aug 2, 2001 at the Viper Room, Los Angeles/West Hollywood (as listed on BMC). The Mescaleros were on David Letterman in NY on Aug 1, so that would be a fresh reference, and there is a Dan Tana's restaurant less than a mile from the Viper Room.

What do you guys think?

What I haven't been able to place yet is which video is the source of the audio. There's 3 or 4 shows spliced together, and pretty much the only way to tell them apart is by which t-shirt Scott is wearing as the other guys seem to wearing the same clothes in all the gigs (except the Fukuoka show which was a different tour).

Oh and here's the clip:
In the Q & A from LRA DVD Dick Rude said he asked the band to wear the same clothes for continuity.

Laxman has sent an email to Dick regards the dates of the shows. Be interesting to see if he gets a reply.

Laxman also messaged me regards the Viper Room and we discussed the gigs just after the Letterman performance. But they have not been circulated. So maybe Dick has them.

Either way both you guys have been really helpful. So you'll both be mentioned on the artwork for archival research. 👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Marky Dread wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 8:05pm
msza2 wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 6:00pm
laxman wrote:

What do you guys think?

Oh and here's the clip:
In the Q & A from LRA DVD Dick Rude said he asked the band to wear the same clothes for continuity.

Laxman has sent an email to Dick regards the dates of the shows. Be interesting to see if he gets a reply.

Laxman also messaged me regards the Viper Room and we discussed the gigs just after the Letterman performance. But they have not been circulated. So maybe Dick has them.

Either way both you guys have been really helpful. So you'll both be mentioned on the artwork for archival research. 👍
Right on! Thanks, yeah it's been a fun little scavenger hunt. Really looking forward to the set!

It would be cool if Dick gets back to him.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Does anyone have the 28 September 2002 Fukuoka show that they could share please, for Marky's forensic investigations?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Equaliser wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 3:50pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 3:35pm
Heston wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 3:33pm
Was Straight To Hell not the track where Joe (stupidly) attacked the camera man?
Yes. He says they'll film you taking a piss.
Explains why it was cut from the broadcast version.
Nah it was cut because Joes sings "burning like a fucking church on fire!". That was probably a bit too much for the old BBC. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia