Without People You're Nothing

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Re: Without People You're Nothing

Post by Stefano1972 »

Goodmorning Marky, i started to listen the concert at The Fridge, Brixton, 23-6-88. You've added Oye Como Va from Liverpool but the set list of the Brixton night it seems to be a little bit different. According the website http://www.blackmarketclash.co.uk this is the setlist:

Intro
Boogie and Shane
Police on my Back
Junco Partner
Nothin bout Nothin
Love Kills
If I should Fail from Grace
Police and Thieves
Love of the Common People
Ubangi Stomp
This is England
Armagideon Time
Somebody Got Murdered
Brand New Cadillac
Trash City
Londons Calling
Straight to Hell

A little bit different from your marvellous "Latino Rockin' Live". Maybe have you deleted some tracks cause sound quality or something else?
But, anyway, i confirm the Latino Rockabilly with Roberto Pla and Willie MacNeil, it's the Joe's solo lineup i like more. For my personal point of view of course :)

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Thanks Marky! This is awesome!
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

geraldmanns wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 4:24am
Thanks Marky! This is awesome!
Cheers Gerald.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 4:10am
Goodmorning Marky, i started to listen the concert at The Fridge, Brixton, 23-6-88. You've added Oye Como Va from Liverpool but the set list of the Brixton night it seems to be a little bit different. According the website http://www.blackmarketclash.co.uk this is the setlist:

Intro
Boogie and Shane
Police on my Back
Junco Partner
Nothin bout Nothin
Love Kills
If I should Fail from Grace
Police and Thieves
Love of the Common People
Ubangi Stomp
This is England
Armagideon Time
Somebody Got Murdered
Brand New Cadillac
Trash City
Londons Calling
Straight to Hell

A little bit different from your marvellous "Latino Rockin' Live". Maybe have you deleted some tracks cause sound quality or something else?
But, anyway, i confirm the Latino Rockabilly with Roberto Pla and Willie MacNeil, it's the Joe's solo lineup i like more. For my personal point of view of course :)
Yes "Boogie and Shane" that's the opening line and it should be "Boogie and Shame" which is the track "Nursery Rhyme". "Police on My Back" and "Junco Partner" have bad glitches in them so were not used. I then swapped a couple of tracks around as I felt it flowed better with having "Police & Thieves" further down the set.

It's a compilation really. I wanted to use more from other shows and remastered a couple of others from the Liverpool show like "Unknown Immortal" but the quality was not good enough and made the overall feel too disjointed in my opinion. So this is the best sounding and it's a case of quality over quantity. Hence it was only added as a bonus.

It's a decent listen with some onstage sound level problems with the cymbals and percussion too high in the mix at times. But it's a nice document of that period. And it's cool to have the unreleased covers of "Love of the Common People" and "Ubangi Stomp".
Last edited by Marky Dread on 17 Nov 2022, 5:06am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 12:17am
Good grief, man! This When Pigs Fly disc sounds superb. You removed layers of gunk off these gems! I had to go to this disc first because I've always had a soft spot for that "lost album" I heard about forever and then only had the muddy songs that circulated on cassette for ages, but I revisited it often. Thanks so much for this incredible upgrade, Marky. The instrumentation is so distinct. The musicians Joe had backing him on these tracks have been written off before as sort of middle of the road, but I think this remaster proves that they acquitted themselves well.
I really like "Rose of Erin" and the film is fun. I only watched it for the first time while putting the box together. It's on Amazon Prime.

However that old tape you have and the vinyl copy I have are indeed muddy and poor. But I can't take all the credit for the mix as cleaner sounding digital versions were uploaded here some time back you probably missed them. I did remix them and they do sound better here. It's a nice soundtrack and some tracks like "Free At Last" only really make sense in the context of the film.

Those musicians were solid in my opinion. The biggest shock for me was finding out that Kosmo was the musical score producer for the project.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Wow! This will take a while to digest but coming on the heels of S! and LC this is amazing. You deserve a nice little break...and an award too.
Cheers Marky!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 8:34am
Wow! This will take a while to digest but coming on the heels of S! and LC this is amazing. You deserve a nice little break...and an award too.
Cheers Marky!
Cheers mate have fun.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Incredible Marky! Many thanks, that's my listening for quite a while sorted out. Mind you, I don't know where to begin!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 12:54pm
Incredible Marky! Many thanks, that's my listening for quite a while sorted out. Mind you, I don't know where to begin!
Always the beginning. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Haven't had solid computer-downloading time since this was posted but every moment that passes where I haven't given a huge pre-emptive THANK YOU to Marky is making me feel very uncomfortable. The set looks incredible and I know from all his work that it will sound amazing. I can't get over the love and care he puts into these, and feel very fortunate that he chooses to share that love with us. Can't wait to get cracking on this set.

Thank you so much, Marky. Or should I say... SANTA CLAUS!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Just listened to the instrumentals and, as i fully expected, they don't disappoint one bit. The two untilted are just wonderful and not ashamed to admit, i teared up a bit listening to the Ramshackle bonus track. That is simply beautifully done. These are going to get many many listens over the coming weeks and months!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 2:48pm
Haven't had solid computer-downloading time since this was posted but every moment that passes where I haven't given a huge pre-emptive THANK YOU to Marky is making me feel very uncomfortable. The set looks incredible and I know from all his work that it will sound amazing. I can't get over the love and care he puts into these, and feel very fortunate that he chooses to share that love with us. Can't wait to get cracking on this set.

Thank you so much, Marky. Or should I say... SANTA CLAUS!
Your pleasure is my pleasure. 😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 3:07pm
Just listened to the instrumentals and, as i fully expected, they don't disappoint one bit. The two untilted are just wonderful and not ashamed to admit, i teared up a bit listening to the Ramshackle bonus track. That is simply beautifully done. These are going to get many many listens over the coming weeks and months!
Nice one mate. Though don't get too maudlin. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 3:09pm
Low Down Low wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 3:07pm
Nice one mate. Though don't get too maudlin. 😉
Hah, I'll try but when i play that on the 22nd i fully expect the levee to break! Dakar Meantime wasn't at all like I'd expected but none the worse for it, a very interesting track.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

msza2 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 6:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 5:09pm
msza2 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 4:54pm
Wow, the Streetcore instrumentals are flooring me. I didn't even know they were circulating until a week or two ago when Marky mentioned he was preparing them for this, and even then I definitely didn't expect the unknown tracks. Holy shit, I almost shed a tear thinking about what might have been, especially hearing the background vocals.

Is there any more information out there about these?

Interesting that Guitar Slinger Man is missing. Given they were performing that one live, you'd think it'd have been one of the first they laid down in the studio.
Yeah I wish they could've got them down. Obviously the album is fleshed out by using the two Rick Rubin recordings. I couldn't find any other info on those instrumentals. One of the untitled tracks is possibly called "Steady America" and my guess is the one with the backing vocals. Laxman did find some info saying the band road tested that track live but I can't find any reference to it on the boots available or listings.
Did either of you happen to come across this article which mentions another song (a "reggae drug tune") called Bases Are Loaded? That could be one of the instrumentals as well, although neither are particularly reggae...

https://www.epitaph.com/news/article/th ... mescaleros

These instrumental tunes really bridge the gap between Global and Streetcore. It's hard to imagine CG, GDM, AA, etc fitting on Global but I could imagine any of these groovy, acoustic-ish tunes on there
I'm often not the best judge of these, but the second untitled track does sound a bit reggaeish to my ears anyway so I'd bet that might well be Bases are Loaded.