Without People You're Nothing

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Without People You're Nothing

Post by Marky Dread »

Equaliser wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 5:09pm
Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 7:53pm
Thank you very much for these Marky. I had been sort of kind of planning on splitting the Norris tracks myself, so it's great that my halfhearted plan needs not be completed!
I am thankful for that as well! It really fills in those wilderness years.

Marky is that intro to the Permanent Record Soundtrack a bit from the movie? Your presentation of that is incredible! I like it more than the Walker Soundtrack!
Yes it's a genuine part of the movie the very start in fact. Though it's much quieter than my mix. I like it a lot that mix really improves those tracks.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 18 Nov 2022, 7:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 5:11pm
Equaliser wrote:
Kory wrote:
Thank you very much for these Marky. I had been sort of kind of planning on splitting the Norris tracks myself, so it's great that my halfhearted plan needs not be completed!

Marky is that intro to the Permanent Record Soundtrack a bit from the movie? Your presentation of that is incredible! I like it more than the Walker Soundtrack!
I was interested to see that Keanu plays on that track, I didn't know that before.
Though I haven't found any evidence to back this up I also think that it's Jennifer Rubin who plays Lauren in the movie that sings on Louisiana Turnpike.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 7:28pm
Kory wrote:
Equaliser wrote:
Kory wrote:

I was interested to see that Keanu plays on that track, I didn't know that before.
Though I haven't found any evidence to back this up I also think that it's Jennifer Rubin who plays Lauren in the movie that sings on Louisiana Turnpike.
A lady named Lisa Sligh Raven sings on “Louisiana Turnpike”. Apparently she worked as a receptionist at the Baby O’ Recorders studio.
IMG_1131.jpg
IMG_1131.jpg (21.06 KiB) Viewed 5434 times

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Equaliser wrote:
Kory wrote:

I need to watch the movie again, it's been a while. Your version of the soundtrack is an achievement! Can't thank you enough.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TrashCityRocker wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 9:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Equaliser wrote:
Kory wrote:

A lady named Lisa Sligh Raven sings on “Louisiana Turnpike”. Apparently she worked as a receptionist at the Baby O’ Recorders studio.

IMG_1131.jpg
Oh excellent that puts my bad theory to bed at least. Where's that info from TCR?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 7:26pm
Equaliser wrote:
Kory wrote:

Yes it's a genuine part of the movie the very start in fact. Though it's much quieter than my mix. I like it a lot that mix really improves those tracks.
Yes, I was wondering the same about that intro. I'm listening to the Permanent Record Soundtrack disc three and it takes me back. First of all, it's never sounded better, so thanks for that, Marky. This was an album that was relatively easy to come by in the cassette bins back in the analog days, but it was one I revisited maybe more than any other from among Joe's solo work, even after the Mescaleros. For some reason it was easier to love back then than Earthquake Weather, though now that Marky worked such a miracle with EW I'd say they're about on equal footing to me.

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 11:01pm
TrashCityRocker wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Equaliser wrote:

IMG_1131.jpg
Oh excellent that puts my bad theory to bed at least. Where's that info from TCR?
First, it’s not a bad theory. Those who have seen the film would think so too.

Second, I sourced the info from this post on the Strummservations thread.
YoungParisians wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 11:57am
Joe Strummer news about Permanent Record - Melody Maker 2-APRIL-1988
Es7X-VRUcAEZF9i.jpg

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TrashCityRocker wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 11:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 11:01pm
TrashCityRocker wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

IMG_1131.jpg
First, it’s not a bad theory. Those who have seen the film would think so too.

Second, I sourced the info from this post on the Strummservations thread.
YoungParisians wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 11:57am
Joe Strummer news about Permanent Record - Melody Maker 2-APRIL-1988
Es7X-VRUcAEZF9i.jpg
Cheers I would need seriously better eyesight to have spotted that. Good spot.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

lanini66
Dirty Punk

Post by lanini66 »

MONUMENTAL!!! Thanx Marky, you made my day (many of them, actually)...

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

“Thanks mate I'm glad everyone is enjoying it. A lot of hard work and care went into it. I'm pleased with the results. If passion was in fashion I'd be in Vogue. 😉

LOL and the editor and chief!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JChampion wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 2:08pm
“Thanks mate I'm glad everyone is enjoying it. A lot of hard work and care went into it. I'm pleased with the results. If passion was in fashion I'd be in Vogue. 😉

LOL and the editor and chief!
Strike a pose JC. 😃

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 3:29pm
msza2 wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 10:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 5:37pm
msza2 wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 3:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 3:43pm

I'm often not the best judge of these, but the second untitled track does sound a bit reggaeish to my ears anyway so I'd bet that might well be Bases are Loaded.
I'm tempted to guess the same.

And this is really just a wild guess but the title "Steady America" sounds to me like a sunny day cruisin' tune, or least a tune with wide scope/a broad survey type of thing, and the first instrumental has that feel to me.
Sounds about right. Really don't know what to make of the road tested remark. Wouldn't rule out it being a mistake or misunderstanding on behalf of the journo.
Yeah, you never know what could've transpired but I really don't think there are many shows from the latter days that there isn't a known setlist for. More likely the guys had mentioned they wrote these tunes on the road or perhaps jammed them in soundcheck or something.

Given these songs have titles, there must be lyrics even if in a nascent form. I wonder if Luce would ever consider letting someone else have a crack at them like the Woody Guthrie estate has done. I know that approach isn't everyone's cup of tea but I lean towards breathing life into the material.
I love the Wilco and Billy Bragg stuff so I'd be well ok with any comparable Joe project. And Billy would be as solid a choice as any, I reckon.
As long as Bono stays the fuck away from it I think it'd be great.

Rotating guest singers would be best. Shane McGowan and Billy Bragg, probably Tim Armstrong too.

22singers
Corner Soul

Post by 22singers »

All I can say is... Wow! Thank you for this great present to a member who hasn't come along in a long while!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

22singers wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 10:48pm
All I can say is... Wow! Thank you for this great present to a member who hasn't come along in a long while!
1 post in 14 years not bad. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

blureu
Dirty Punk