Without People You're Nothing

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
VLADI
Dirty Punk

Re: Without People You're Nothing

Post by VLADI »

;) ;)
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 3:08pm
VLADI wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 1:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 8:13pm
That's it.

I don't know how to thank you for all this effort, talent and generosity.

My gratitude is immense, I will always be grateful to you.

I love the artwoork, thanks Sparks.

Tonight I will start to enjoy it

Everything is perfect.
Long live Joe Strummer!!!

VIVA JOE
That Sparks guy is cool. Not as cool as Marky though. 😉
;) JAJA

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Wow, the Streetcore instrumentals are flooring me. I didn't even know they were circulating until a week or two ago when Marky mentioned he was preparing them for this, and even then I definitely didn't expect the unknown tracks. Holy shit, I almost shed a tear thinking about what might have been, especially hearing the background vocals.

Is there any more information out there about these?

Interesting that Guitar Slinger Man is missing. Given they were performing that one live, you'd think it'd have been one of the first they laid down in the studio.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

msza2 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 4:54pm
Wow, the Streetcore instrumentals are flooring me. I didn't even know they were circulating until a week or two ago when Marky mentioned he was preparing them for this, and even then I definitely didn't expect the unknown tracks. Holy shit, I almost shed a tear thinking about what might have been, especially hearing the background vocals.

Interesting that Guitar Slinger Man is missing. Given they were performing that one live, you'd think it'd have been one of the first they laid down in the studio.
Yeah I wish they could've got them down. Obviously the album is fleshed out by using the two Rick Rubin recordings. I couldn't find any other info on those instrumentals. One of the untitled tracks is possibly called "Steady America" and my guess is the one with the backing vocals. Laxman did find some info saying the band road tested that track live but I can't find any reference to it on the boots available or listings.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Thanks Marky!! You've made us one of the best Christmas gift we can wish. I'm starting to listen the last cd because the Latino Rockabilly War with Roberto Pla and Willie MacNeil, it's the line-up i like more.
All the best!!!

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 5:12pm
Thanks Marky!! You've made us one of the best Christmas gift we can wish. I'm starting to listen the last cd because the Latino Rockabilly War with Roberto Pla and Willie MacNeil, it's the line-up i like more.
All the best!!!
Cheers Stefano enjoy mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

I'm Speechless!
Christmas and Record Store Day (digital format) all rolled into one.
Marky, you just keep upping your game and we are the beneficiaries.
Thank You!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JChampion wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 5:27pm
I'm Speechless!
Christmas and Record Store Day (digital format) all rolled into one.
Marky, you just keep upping your game and we are the beneficiaries.
Thank You!
Cheers JC. The work on these sets is immense. I've just mentioned to laxman the lengths I go to just to remove a nano second of a glitch that affects play which can take hours of work.

But I'm pleased with the outcome. And it gives people here enjoyment to have something done with care. That's why it's a grab it while you can thing and not left up for ever.

Imagine having to buy this this from a record label they would charge the earth.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 5:09pm
msza2 wrote:

Yeah I wish they could've got them down. Obviously the album is fleshed out by using the two Rick Rubin recordings. I couldn't find any other info on those instrumentals. One of the untitled tracks is possibly called "Steady America" and my guess is the one with the backing vocals. Laxman did find some info saying the band road tested that track live but I can't find any reference to it on the boots available or listings.
Did either of you happen to come across this article which mentions another song (a "reggae drug tune") called Bases Are Loaded? That could be one of the instrumentals as well, although neither are particularly reggae...

https://www.epitaph.com/news/article/th ... mescaleros

These instrumental tunes really bridge the gap between Global and Streetcore. It's hard to imagine CG, GDM, AA, etc fitting on Global but I could imagine any of these groovy, acoustic-ish tunes on there

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

msza2 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 6:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
msza2 wrote:

Did either of you happen to come across this article which mentions another song (a "reggae drug tune") called Bases Are Loaded? That could be one of the instrumentals as well, although neither are particularly reggae...

These instrumental tunes really bridge the gap between Global and Streetcore. It's hard to imagine CG, GDM, AA, etc fitting on Global but I could imagine any of these groovy, acoustic-ish tunes on there
Thanks and no, didn't spot that article.

The one I found was this; https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 8TDduVyZHI

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

msza2 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 6:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
msza2 wrote:

It shows where they were heading as a band and the next album would've been killer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Not had a chance to listen yet, but those instrumentals are what really drew my eye. Appetite well and truly whetted!

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

laxman wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 6:42pm
Thanks and no, didn't spot that article.

The one I found was this; https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 8TDduVyZHI
Ah, interesting, thanks. It's curious Bases Are Loaded didn't get a mention in that one.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 6:58pm
It shows where they were heading as a band and the next album would've been killer.
Absolutely.

Nice touch at the end. Very poignant.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

msza2 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 7:47pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 6:58pm
Absolutely.

Nice touch at the end. Very poignant.
Yeah I put that together it finishes of that disc nicely.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Good grief, man! This When Pigs Fly disc sounds superb. You removed layers of gunk off these gems! I had to go to this disc first because I've always had a soft spot for that "lost album" I heard about forever and then only had the muddy songs that circulated on cassette for ages, but I revisited it often. Thanks so much for this incredible upgrade, Marky. The instrumentation is so distinct. The musicians Joe had backing him on these tracks have been written off before as sort of middle of the road, but I think this remaster proves that they acquitted themselves well.