New films?

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
motorsmell
Junco Partner

New films?

Post by motorsmell »

There's quite a few Clash/Strummer documentarys already but is there scope for any more? I particularly liked the I need a dodge film approach and while it wasn't the greatest film, it was great to hear stories of Joe that's not the usual. A very interesting film. Same as the let's rock again mescaleros film, a really great angle and made me feel like I was along for the tour.

Do you think there's scope for other films? What would you like to see? Perhaps a mescaleros retrospective? I was thinking of Latino Rockabilly war period film would be great, taking in the Rock against the rich tour etc. There's got to be plenty of stories to tell....the Topper one next year should be very interesting.

yetaca
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: New films?

Post by yetaca »

The only interesting one would be about Bernie

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

yetaca wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 10:39pm
It's called My Name is BERNARD.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

yetaca wrote:
Clash on Broadway has the potential to be incredible.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

yetaca wrote:
As reprehensible as I think he is, he is rather undocumented within the context of early UK punk (especially compared to McLaren).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

I've just found a Spanish documentary about Joe's time in Spain titled Quiero Tener Una Ferretería En Andalucía

Unfortunately I've only found it available on Amazon and so regretfully I've had to give that cunt Bezos some of my hard earned....it looks very interesting. Anyone else ever heard of it?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

motorsmell wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 3:11pm
I've just found a Spanish documentary about Joe's time in Spain titled Quiero Tener Una Ferretería En Andalucía

Unfortunately I've only found it available on Amazon and so regretfully I've had to give that cunt Bezos some of my hard earned....it looks very interesting. Anyone else ever heard of it?
Is that the one about his car?

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 3:56pm
motorsmell wrote:

No mate this a completely separate film.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

motorsmell wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 4:03pm
Kory wrote:
motorsmell wrote:

Sounds cool, I'll add it to the list!

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 4:04pm
motorsmell wrote:
Kory wrote:
motorsmell wrote:

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

motorsmell wrote:
Kory wrote:
motorsmell wrote:

Thanks for letting us know about this. I love the Spanish-music influenced Joe so I'm very interested in checking it out. It's a shame I don't speak Spanish.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

msza2 wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 4:07pm
motorsmell wrote:
Kory wrote:
motorsmell wrote:

Thanks for letting us know about this. I love the Spanish-music influenced Joe so I'm very interested in checking it out. It's a shame I don't speak Spanish.
The dvd has English subtitles and features Snakehips Dudanski and Jim Finer from the pogues! I can't believe I've only just come across this!

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

motorsmell wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 4:10pm
msza2 wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 4:07pm
motorsmell wrote:
Kory wrote:
motorsmell wrote:

The dvd has English subtitles and features Snakehips Dudanski and Jim Finer from the pogues! I can't believe I've only just come across this!
Oh, perfect! Yeah, it's wild how many Joe related treasures continue to be found out there.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

motorsmell wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 4:05pm
Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 4:04pm
motorsmell wrote:
Kory wrote:
motorsmell wrote:

Yes, I have it. Got it here cheap (looks like it's even cheaper now), but shipping was a bit pricey to the USA:
https://dvdstorespain.es/es/outlet-dvd- ... 02917.html

Nice companion to the I Need a Dodge! doc. The films have similar interviewees.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

My copy arrived yesterday, really enjoyed it I think it's probably better then I need a dodge, gives a much fuller picture of what he was doing in Spain. I can highly recommend it.